BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240i xDrive

Extra (non-interval) Oil Changes

Greetings all,

I'm curious, how many of you have your X3 annually serviced (oil & filter only) with those that average less than 6k miles per year, through your dealership?

I did a search and came up with very little.

I will have had my '13 X3 for one year, coming up in April. Yep, I had an early build '13 model.

The reason I ask is that I have my dealership change the oil in all of my other cars at the one year anniversary mark. How many of you do the same?

I have several cars and a m/c, so I never see any one car or m/c go over 3k miles per year.

Do any of you change your oil at the one year mark for those of you who drive less then 6k miles per year.

I feel compelled to change the oil in a turbocharged car/SAV due to the high temps that turbocharged cars/SAVs run...

My question is, how many of you who put less than 6k miles on your X3 annually, take your X3 in annually for an oil change? What is the average expected cost, so that I can gauge the cost with what others are paying?

Is this something I could do on my own? Is this a tough job to do on my own?

Tks a lot/cheers,

BB
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
BMW will do your oil change free of charge at the one year anniversary mark if you are a low mileage driver and have not hit the "computer's recommended oil change" within a years time. They will do this every year for the first four years. I knew about it from reading on the forums, but my service advisor reminded me as well
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240i xDrive

^^^ I was not aware of this! I just broke 2000 miles since April of last year. I should be well under 3k miles within twelve months ownership.
Tks very much for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Does anyone knows if this applies to the UK as well? I tend to do a service every year, regardless of mileage.
      01-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d M Sport - DSB Manual

Buze - when I picked my car up last week I specifically asked the service manager if interim oil changes were required or recommended. He told to simply follow the schedule which is 2 years or 19k miles. This info can be indicated on the dash.
- F25 2.0d M Sport manual, DSB, black leather with fineline wave wood, Pan Sunroof, 368 M alloys, exterior trim and rails in matt aluminium, reversing camera, sun protection glass, windscreen with grey shade band, heated front seats, extended storage, powered tailgate, Xenon's, bluetooth c/w USB, DAB.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

The change interval shown in the computer is what the dealer would go buy if you want to do interim changes. In Canada, it shows every 2 years or whatever the mileage it calculates.

You live in Ohio, so I don't think you get totally insane temperature swings down there like we do up North here. My thought is that you are fine following BMW's guidelines.

Regarding doing it yourself, changing oil on the X3 is very easy if you've ever changed oil before.

One thing I'd note is that the front page of bimmerpost had a good post recently about a 2006 E90 325i driver putting over 200,000 miles on his car to date. The car still runs strong, required minor maintenance, and the poster said his average oil change interval was 17.5K miles. He lived in Maryland. Seeing stuff like that and some other cases on these boards leads me to believe that BMW probably knows what its talking about regarding its oil change intervals. Unless you see severe conditions (lots of short drives, extreme cold, extreme temperature swings, etc.) I wouldn't worry too much about cutting the intervals short. I will also say that I did an oil change on my X3 after 3,000 km to get rid of wear-in materials and after that I will do an oil change at about 1/2 the mileage the computer demands. If my mileage doesn't rack as fast as I expect, I will then do something time based (maybe annually following the winter). Again, in winter, we see severe operating conditions here in Calgary.
Appreciate 0