BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-15-2011, 05:57 AM   #1079
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
The M Sport looks so much better IMO.
It's all subjective but I still much prefer the SE because of its side profile. The M Sport, particularly in lighter colours makes the wheels look tiny, like the proportions you get on a bus of wheel to vehicle. The black arches on the SE give the impression the wheels are bigger and the angle of the sculpted lines make it look the whole car is lifted up at the back - difficult to explain.

I do prefer the front of the M Sport and I like the back too although all one colour on the back makes it look narrower, the SE has a wider-looking stance from behind. It's also supposed to be a 4x4 so the parts that get dirty are black for pragmatic reasons. MSport styling makes much more sense on a 3 series. Just my opinion. And all of that said I much prefer the X5 in MSport, particularly white, just not the X3

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 06:12 AM   #1080
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
It's all subjective but I still much prefer the SE because of its side profile. The M Sport, particularly in lighter colours makes the wheels look tiny, like the proportions you get on a bus of wheel to vehicle. The black arches on the SE give the impression the wheels are bigger and the angle of the sculpted lines make it look the whole car is lifted up at the back - difficult to explain.

I do prefer the front of the M Sport and I like the back too although all one colour on the back makes it look narrower, the SE has a wider-looking stance from behind. It's also supposed to be a 4x4 so the parts that get dirty are black for pragmatic reasons. MSport styling makes much more sense on a 3 series. Just my opinion. And all of that said I much prefer the X5 in MSport, particularly white, just not the X3
Fare comment
      12-15-2011, 06:16 AM   #1081
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Fare comment
I am however envious of the softer leather on the M Sport steering wheel that someone on this forum described as like a female's inner thigh!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 06:46 AM   #1082
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

Hello all.
I am toying with the idea of ordering another X3, what are the delivery times like now? Not sure I can bear another 8 month wait.
      12-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #1083
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by washy View Post
Hello all.
I am toying with the idea of ordering another X3, what are the delivery times like now? Not sure I can bear another 8 month wait.
Good to see you back Washy, things looking better I hope.
Waiting times greatly reduced, 8 weeks or maybe less, it depended on the dealer I think, check around, happy Xmas.
      12-15-2011, 07:07 AM   #1084
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Good to see you back Washy, things looking better I hope.
Waiting times greatly reduced, 8 weeks or maybe less, it depended on the dealer I think, check around, happy Xmas.
Hi, yes things definately looking a bit better now. I will make a few calls.

Merry Xmas to you too.
      12-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #1085
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

I am obviously in a minority. I prefer the Msport's looks to the SE looks particularly for the lighter colours.

The 80s retro look black bands seem to cut off the bottom third of the back (and to a lesser extent the front & sides) and to my mind in white/silver the SE almost looks like an 80's ford van - Sorry everyone.

I also don't like the texture of the black plactic band. It seemed to be stippled and will be a pain to get and polish off of.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #1086
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbu View Post
I am obviously in a minority. I prefer the Msport's looks to the SE looks particularly for the lighter colours.

The 80s retro look black bands seem to cut off the bottom third of the back (and to a lesser extent the front & sides) and to my mind in white/silver the SE almost looks like an 80's ford van - Sorry everyone.

I also don't like the texture of the black plactic band. It seemed to be stippled and will be a pain to get and polish off of.
Hear hear... I totally agree with you. M sports seems to make the car justice. Makes it complete and more agressive
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #1087
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBR View Post
Hear hear... I totally agree with you. M sports seems to make the car justice. Makes it complete and more agressive
+2 I think the SE looks "DATED".
      12-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #1088
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Quote:
This is not the case. Waiting times still around 6 months. I believe you got lucky with your 35d as it came on the same batch as the initial shipment of demonstrators to Euro dealers. Certainly half a dozen appeared on approved used around be same time.
      12-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #1089
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
+2 I think the SE looks "DATED".
I think the MSport looks like a minivan from the side. The front and back are nice but I can't live with the sides.

I agree that the black plastic on the back of the SE doesn't look great but I am with Sfax on liking it on the sides. The car looks much lighter and more athletic.

BMW MSport styling is really hit and miss to me. Love it on the old 1er and the new 3er but on others it just looks like an aftermarket body kit.

It is totally subjective of course and there is no right answer generally, only what is right for you.

However it does seem that the bigger engines are primarily ordered in MSport which is why I would avoid a 35d SE which I would suspect will be very uncommon and lose a lot more on resale.

30d SE seem to be a few around so less of a concern and that's what I ordered. I'm still bracing myself for a big depreciation hit on the six cylinder and £10k of options (shudder)... although the excellent discount I obtained absorbed a chunk of that.

In either case it will be a lot more than the unbelievable £1500 that parkers says I've lost on my Q5 in 15 months!

Last edited by dnw; 12-15-2011 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #1090
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

I prefer SE as on some colours the M-Sport and the unbroken body colour panels from top to bottom and wheel arches looks to rich, to much colour, the side looks to deep. The SE has more proportion. As sFax says, somehow the X5 MSport has better proportions IMO
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #1091
gemuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35d M sport 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw View Post
This is not the case. Waiting times still around 6 months. I believe you got lucky with your 35d as it came on the same batch as the initial shipment of demonstrators to Euro dealers. Certainly half a dozen appeared on approved used around be same time.
ordered my 35d m sport in October..... given build wk 10 and delivery wk 16 (March & April 2012)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #1092
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemuk View Post
ordered my 35d m sport in October..... given build wk 10 and delivery wk 16 (March & April 2012)
Sounds about right and supports the theory that John timed his 35d order just right!

I ordered 30d SE 30th October and delivery will be end April.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #1093
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBR View Post
I assume you mean does the car justice although I'm not sure I follow how painting the plastic does that. As I said it's all subjective and I'm not against MSport styling as I prefer the X5 with MSport. I would take issue with the word "aggressive" as I'm not sure how effectively wearing a longer dress would make anything more aggressive but each to their own. I see lots of relatively cheap cars with body coloured trims and don't see the attraction personally. It's all plastic

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #1094
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

So still about 6 months wait then.

I would still probably go M sport again, but I do think that from some angles the SE does look better.
      12-16-2011, 02:31 AM   #1095
X35D For Me
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport

Just had to add to the debate here. The SE is fine apart from the awful back end with that huge band of black plastic across the back. It just diesn't look right. Ok the M Sport is a fair bit extra but it does look fab and wheels on 4x4 do need room to move about, so I disagree about the earlier comment of them loooking too small. M Sport every time!!!

As far as delivery goes, I ordered my 35D on 21/11, it's now built and waitng to be shipped over to the UK. I'm told I should have it in the 2nd week of January at the latest.

Much better than the Evoque I ordered in June and which still had no signs of a build date in November when I cancelled it for the X3!!!
X3 35D M Sport, Vermillion Red/Oyster, Fineline Wave wood, 19" alloys (369M) Prof. Media Pack, DAB, Sun Roof, Elec. seat adj.+ lumbar, Visibility Pack, Prof. Speakers, Sun Protection Glass, Reverse Cam/Top View, Seat Heating, M Sport suspension deletion, HUD.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 04:25 AM   #1096
AC888
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster, Mini Clubman

Msport looks so much better IMHO
SE looks incomplete with so much black plastic
Also good value if you are thinking about dynamic pack, xline, brush alu trim, etc not to mention the sport suspension...
The extra for that stunning body kit is almost free, how good value can this get ?
So much easier to clean and wax as all surface are painted
4x4 never meant to have big low profile wheels and tyre to fill the arches anyway unlike say a porsche 911, so the smaller wheel look is fine with me.
So happy to get an Msport as it look so well IMO
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 04:26 AM   #1097
worfdum
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Not Yet

MSport or SE, I guess it is subjective. I originally ordered the SE, then about 4 months ago, after watching the 'CarBuyer' video and a few others decided to change to the MSport. Now, with a bit of luck, and a fair wind, it will finally arrive
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 05:10 AM   #1098
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by washy View Post
So still about 6 months wait then.

I would still probably go M sport again, but I do think that from some angles the SE does look better.
If you want a Black 35D M Sport, listers Kings Lynn have one just in.
      12-16-2011, 05:14 AM   #1099
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X35D For Me View Post
Just had to add to the debate here. The SE is fine apart from the awful back end with that huge band of black plastic across the back. It just diesn't look right. Ok the M Sport is a fair bit extra but it does look fab and wheels on 4x4 do need room to move about, so I disagree about the earlier comment of them loooking too small. M Sport every time!!!

As far as delivery goes, I ordered my 35D on 21/11, it's now built and waitng to be shipped over to the UK. I'm told I should have it in the 2nd week of January at the latest.

Much better than the Evoque I ordered in June and which still had no signs of a build date in November when I cancelled it for the X3!!!
Great News, I contacted my dealer about "The Wait" on these cars, and they said "It'd down to the dealers allotted slots", they can get them through quickly IF they wanted too. So they said.
      12-16-2011, 05:17 AM   #1100
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

This is my M Sport side view with 19" Sport Wheels.
I don't think it looks that bad.
Attached Images