BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
hawkeye252
Registered
Rep
Drives: Silver

Feel guilty?

I'm looking at purchasing an X5 or X3 but I'm having trouble getting over the fact that I've always driven mid range cars such as Honda, Ford etc. and the stigma that premium cars have. You know, has enough money to buy an expensive vehicle, etc.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing? Do you just get over it? Have you had anyone key your car or damage it in any other way?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Where we used to live (nice housing development in a reasonable neighbourhood of a nice British city), my Toyota Avensis was parallel parked inbetween a newer BMW 3 Series and a newer Mercedes SUV (both belonging to neighbours that we were on good terms with). Guess whose car got keyed (front and back)?

Maybe people's cars do get more vandalised if they are "premium" cars, but often there is just no sense to damage (either intentional or unintentional): just some stupid/drunk person trying to be clever... I just try to believe in karma on those occassions.

If you have a nice car, then enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Chutes
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 5.0 and 2010 M3

You cannot live in fear, I have owned BMW's since 1979, and other cars as well, they are great cars. There is nothing to get over, if you can afford the car, then buy it, BMW dealer service is very good, I'm on my 3rd X5 and love it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
jsbos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

BMWs are great cars, I've driven them since 1987 and love them. If you can afford it, who cares what others think! Be proud you didn't fall for an Asian impostor.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Like some of the earlier post, if you can afford it then do it. You shouldn't feel guilty at all. Remember you only live once so you might as well enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Stretch your budget a bit and get the best. Spend money where you enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I couldn't agree more E92LNGCGY.

I good friend of mine died last November after a brief battle with Cancer.

His death came right about the time my wife and I started shopping for a new CUV. We can afford the bimmer but always thought a more moderately priced car was the prudent decision.

Well my buddy always wanted to replace the mustang he sold when he got married and had kids... long story short, he never got the chance to own a mustang again.

I too am somewhat concerned what others will think and the possibility of vandalism. This will be my first BMW and people can be real jerks. A Lincoln SUV would cost more but nobody would think, "look at that pretentious jerk".

The BMW name is probably one of the reasons why SOME people buy the car.

Anyway, I practice defensive parking to avoid scratches, dents and door dings. I don't have one mark in my 8yr old car. (Except two areas that got damaged in Chicago where I couldn't park defensively... thanks Chicago)

Anyway, if you can afford the car buy it and enjoy it... you only live once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LNGCGY View Post
Like some of the earlier post, if you can afford it then do it. You shouldn't feel guilty at all. Remember you only live once so you might as well enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
Tangsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 x3 M40i

No reason to feel guilty if you can afford it. If you're gonna be up to your eyeballs in debt because of it, then yes... do feel guilty.

I'll feel a little guilty if I drive into work on the weekend and park next to my boss's Toyota, but it's really just different priorities for different people.

I wouldn't worry about being targeted for vandalism, unless you tend to park in some sketchy or unsavory areas. My wife's Mazda was vandalized before, so I don't think there's really any rational thought process behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post

His death came right about the time my wife and I started shopping for a new CUV. We can afford the bimmer but always thought a more moderately priced car was the prudent decision.

Well my buddy always wanted to replace the mustang he sold when he got married and had kids... long story short, he never got the chance to own a mustang again.
Kind of on the fence about getting the M-sport, but stories like this make me think I should just get it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
only feel guilty if you make a purchase above your means to afford the payments, maintenance, insurance, etc.

I'll never feel guillty, my older brother keeps buying Porsche's
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

IMO you shouldn't feel guilty on any of your achievements. You worked hard to able to afford nice cars such as BMW, and you deserve to enjoy the fruit of your labor.
The only reason you should feel guilty is if you rob a bank to buy it
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

i've been driving turbo subarus since the mid '80s. the x3 35i was the only thing around that compared with my '05 turbo legacy wagon [0-60 in 5.5, cargo space. the bimmer is more comfortable and less body roll, but otoh my legacy has a manual transmission]. i don't feel guilty -it's my money and i can afford it - but i've always underplayed material possessions, and so i feel somewhat self-conscious about it. it doesn't fit my self-image or the image i have in others' eyes. [i've been told that, so i'm not just speculating.]

oddly enough, my very first new car was a bmw: a 1970 bmw 1600, which cost $3000. doesn't sound like much these days, but i could have bought 2 vw bugs for that.

i'm still in the process of adjusting - i picked up the x3 pcd on 1/20, and have less than 1500 miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

If buy a BMW and then go out of your way to flaunt it front of folks who couldn't get one (or similar) if they wanted, then you'll have a problem. If you just enjoy, you'll be fine and people won't think ill of you. It's not Ike a sea-going yacht or a small island with its own airport . . .
      02-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #13
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertech83 View Post
The only reason you should feel guilty is if you rob a bank to buy it
I was going to make a joke but then I saw you had stolen my punch line!
I agree 100% with the comment.

A friend of mine once said about car brands:

Fords: Cars designed to only let through the negative impacts from the surrounding environment
Subarus: Cars designed to make the driver appreciate the surrounding environment
Volvos: Cars designed to make the driver oblivious to the surrounding environment
BMWs: Cars designed to make the driver not care about the surrounding environment

When I used to only have Subarus in my garage I found this funny.
Now that I only have BMW's in the garage I think it is just a bit of jealosy.
BMW is one of the few (but not the only) brand that gives the driver comfort, luxury, performance and reliability.
If this makes them more desirable (and more expensive) then so be it.

I have lived with 2 or 3 out of the 4 for my whole life with previous cars. I dont feel bad about getting the full house now that I can afford to.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #14
bcaz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

I can relate to your concern. I just bought my first BMW after driving Honda/Acura products for almost 30 years. I felt a little self-conscious when I stepped up to Acura. Now this ... Y'know? It's simple. I am who I am. My car does not define me. It does not matter what others think -- at all. I'd be uh, dismayed if someone keyed my car but it's a big world and I'm a big boy. Enjoy your ride whatever you decide.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:05 AM   #15
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

I'm pretty sure BMW sell more 3ers than Ford sells Mondeos in the UK. I wouldn't worry about perceived flaunting! That's what Range Rovers are for, at least until they fall apart in front of your audience
      02-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #16
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh

I too am somewhat concerned what others will think and the possibility of vandalism. This will be my first BMW and people can be real jerks. A Lincoln SUV would cost more but nobody would think, "look at that pretentious jerk".

The BMW name is probably one of the reasons why SOME people buy the car.

Anyway, I practice defensive parking to avoid scratches, dents and door dings. I don't have one mark in my 8yr old car. (Except two areas that got damaged in Chicago where I couldn't park defensively... thanks Chicago)

Anyway, if you can afford the car buy it and enjoy it... you only live once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92LNGCGY View Post
Like some of the earlier post, if you can afford it then do it. You shouldn't feel guilty at all. [COLOR="Red"]Remember you only live once so you might as well enjoy it.[/COLOR]
Just curious, what do you mean by defensive parking? Please tell me it's not parking across 2 spaces. That's just an invitation to get your car keyed.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #17
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

God no!
  • Avoid pull through parking space - lazy people don't like backing out
  • Parking a little further from building entrances - lazy people don't like walking
  • Looking for end parking spaces - only one side exposed
  • Avoiding 'tight' parking spaces - bad drivers park by feel
  • Never park beside a car that is poorly parked - if they can't park between the lines they likely won't stay between the lines on the way out of the spot
  • Avoiding parking lots completely on windy days - windy days can cause people to loose a grip on the door
  • Never park beside a shitbox - the other drive has nothing to loose

It is sometimes a pain but I hate damage from inconsiderate a-holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy29 View Post
Just curious, what do you mean by defensive parking? Please tell me it's not parking across 2 spaces. That's just an invitation to get your car keyed.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #18
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
God no!
  • Avoid pull through parking space - lazy people don't like backing out
  • Parking a little further from building entrances - lazy people don't like walking
  • Looking for end parking spaces - only one side exposed
  • Avoiding 'tight' parking spaces - bad drivers park by feel
  • Never park beside a car that is poorly parked - if they can't park between the lines they likely won't stay between the lines on the way out of the spot
  • Avoiding parking lots completely on windy days - windy days can cause people to loose a grip on the door
  • Never park beside a shitbox - the other drive has nothing to loose

It is sometimes a pain but I hate damage from inconsiderate a-holes.
This is funny, i do this with my bimmer, worse are those door dings and people leaving mark on your car by open their doors carelessly.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #19
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

haha, reminds me of a Saturn I owned. The week I bought the car some idiot obviously swung a door into the side of my plastic car hard enough to leave a black mark. I was actually concerned the damage was right through the paint to the plastic. It turned out the black mark was paint from the other car... and because the Saturn had plastic panels all I had to do was give the door a quick wipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
This is funny, i do this with my bimmer, worse are those door dings and people leaving mark on your car by open their doors carelessly.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #20
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye252 View Post
the stigma that premium cars have. You know, has enough money to buy an expensive vehicle, etc.

Have you had anyone key your car or damage it in any other way?
There is no stigma about driving a BMW. I noticed over the years people sometimes comment (e.g, Nice car! or "You have a BMW.) but that is all. I perceive most people feel some envy when they comment because the BMW is indeed perceived as a really great and expensive machine, which it is in both regards.

With respect to malicious damage, I do not think people target BMWs. I have had BMWs since 1988 and never had any of them maliciously damaged. My 1988 E30 M3 definitely stood out from the pack but never had a problem. So does my wonderful 2002 Z3 (I am keeping that car forever). Of course I try to be smart about where I park (brightly lit, most visible from areas with highest pedestrian traffic, etc.) but I have done this with every car including the oh so boring 1999 Toyota Camry I endured for a few years (it was not my driver). I am getting very close to pulling the trigger on an X3 and am not concerned at all about malicious damage (at least in comparison to any other vehicle).
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #21
x3heh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
There is no stigma about driving a BMW.
Perhaps not a stigma, but there is a stereotype that BMW owners are mostly yuppies that drive like a**holes.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #22
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Add to list of defensive parking: Never park on the street, unless you like marks all over your bumpers. If you absolutely must, choose a location so your rear bumper is next to somebody's driveway or fire hydrant. That way, nobody can park behind you. You might get an idiot parking in front of you, but if he taps your car, he'll most likely tap your front license plate which is replaceable.

My 9-year old rear bumper has no marks on it whatsoever (by practicing this rule).
Appreciate 0