BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-01-2020, 04:47 PM   #1
BMWfan73
Lord of Glencoe
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 xDrive35i M-Sport

Pros/Cons: Racechip vs. Bootmod3

This would be for an LCI X3 xDrive35i, M sport. Besides the method of implementation, what sets them apart from each other? Is one better than the other, producing better results? Just starting to learn about this and can't decide what to go with.
      09-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #2
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfan73 View Post
This would be for an LCI X3 xDrive35i, M sport. Besides the method of implementation, what sets them apart from each other? Is one better than the other, producing better results? Just starting to learn about this and can't decide what to go with.
Bootmod3 has multiple options to adjust and the ability to datalog.

Bootmod3 support is A+.
      09-02-2020, 07:08 AM   #3
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

having owned both, this is not even a fair comparison. bootmod3 is in a league of its own. this is a no-brainer.
scostu1623.00
      09-02-2020, 07:23 AM   #4
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
I would love to hear some objective differences, more than "its in a league of its own" and the like.

Which one is faster, 0-60? Which one is better for an otherwise stock engine, and why? Which one is better for a modified engine, which mods, and why? Which one has more low end power and torque? Which one has more high end power and torque? Dyno for proof of course.

The newest racechip has a bluetooth option so you can change the program on the fly, unlike the original version that had physical switches to change, so it is more user friendly now.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 11:00 AM   #5
BMWfan73
Lord of Glencoe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
I would love to hear some objective differences, more than "its in a league of its own" and the like.

Which one is faster, 0-60? Which one is better for an otherwise stock engine, and why? Which one is better for a modified engine, which mods, and why? Which one has more low end power and torque? Which one has more high end power and torque? Dyno for proof of course.

The newest racechip has a bluetooth option so you can change the program on the fly, unlike the original version that had physical switches to change, so it is more user friendly now.
The RC looks very simple plug and play, whereas the BM requires a connection, app to modify, etc. I'm not planning on tweaking things so simple is better. But that aside, my question is: does BM produce better results over RC? RC claims 77hp increase but I don't see actual numbers for BM.
      09-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #6
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
The RC looks very simple plug and play, whereas the BM requires a connection, app to modify, etc. I'm not planning on tweaking things so simple is better. But that aside, my question is: does BM produce better results over RC? RC claims 77hp increase but I don't see actual numbers for BM.
OK. Racechip is a piggyback system.
Piggyback systems work by splicing into your car's wiring harness to intercept and manipulate parameters that the ECU sees to generate additional power. There is no configurability other then a few jumpers on the PCB.

The biggest con to me, was that this solution did not offer any scalability for mods done to the car. When visiting the dealer you will also have to physically remove this harness or you risk voiding your warranty.

On the other hand BM3 is a complete ECU reflash. Instead of manipulating signals from the car's sensors, we are given fully adaptive maps that can compensate properly.

Yes, there is a bit more involved with the initial setup. But it's all relatively easy and streamlined. BM3 offers OTS or "off the shelf" maps that are cookie cutter. You don't need to configure a thing, this product is as basic, or as advanced as you would like it to be. You can revert back to stock easily, without having to take anything apart under the hood. This product also holds it's resale value better. The license is transferable to other owners or if you buy another BMW you can transfer the license to that as well. Racechip is specific to your BMW model/engine.

Ultimately the BM3 felt faster and smoother to me. I liked the transparency of the product under the hood, and the ease of reverting to stock. I liked the option of using different OTS maps based on which mods I had installed. The RC felt jerky to me. Resulted in several drivetrain malfunction errors and had to reset the car. There was phone support, but i wasn't impressed with it.

I hope this helps.
      09-08-2020, 11:08 AM   #7
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
The latest versions of RC has bluetooth/app option that allows for easier customization/different maps. I have an older version of RC and it works great. There might be some hiccups/drivetrain malfunction warnings as the ECU adapts to the altering of signals the RC does depending on the settings, but they tell you to expect that and if they happen, they go away pretty quickly. I havent had any issues with my RC. I dont care about warranty as my X3 is long out of warranty. Is BM3 the more elegant solution? Yes. But I still havent seen any true comparison of the two that says which one is faster for the average driver or comparison of dyno charts which would tell you if one is better at low end torque and the other better at high end hp, etc.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #8
BMWfan73
Lord of Glencoe
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the detailed reply, BOSSBMW

Does anyone know what kind of performance numbers you can get with BM3? RC claims 77HP. I can't find anything for BM3 unless it's right under my nose somewhere....
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 09:31 PM   #9
ALPx3
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSBMW View Post
OK. Racechip is a piggyback system.
Piggyback systems work by splicing into your car's wiring harness to intercept and manipulate parameters that the ECU sees to generate additional power. There is no configurability other then a few jumpers on the PCB.

The biggest con to me, was that this solution did not offer any scalability for mods done to the car. When visiting the dealer you will also have to physically remove this harness or you risk voiding your warranty.

On the other hand BM3 is a complete ECU reflash. Instead of manipulating signals from the car's sensors, we are given fully adaptive maps that can compensate properly.

Yes, there is a bit more involved with the initial setup. But it's all relatively easy and streamlined. BM3 offers OTS or "off the shelf" maps that are cookie cutter. You don't need to configure a thing, this product is as basic, or as advanced as you would like it to be. You can revert back to stock easily, without having to take anything apart under the hood. This product also holds it's resale value better. The license is transferable to other owners or if you buy another BMW you can transfer the license to that as well. Racechip is specific to your BMW model/engine.

Ultimately the BM3 felt faster and smoother to me. I liked the transparency of the product under the hood, and the ease of reverting to stock. I liked the option of using different OTS maps based on which mods I had installed. The RC felt jerky to me. Resulted in several drivetrain malfunction errors and had to reset the car. There was phone support, but i wasn't impressed with it.

I hope this helps.
Have you dyno your car? Is your x a 2.8 or 3.5? What is the expected performance on a 2.8 with bm3?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 10:00 AM   #10
BMWfan73
Lord of Glencoe
United_States
Rep

I ended up going with BM3 this past weekend. Wow! What a beast it has turned the 35i into! Although, I was surprised to discover that my 2015 (11/2014 build date) had a pneumatic wastegate. I thought 2015 (late '14 builds +) got electronic wastegates?
      10-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #11
ALPx3
Private
Rep

Quote:
I ended up going with BM3 this past weekend. Wow! What a beast it has turned the 35i into! Although, I was surprised to discover that my 2015 (11/2014 build date) had a pneumatic wastegate. I thought 2015 (late '14 builds +) got electronic wastegates?
Would you say the 35i benefits more with the bm3 upgrade? Is it available for lci 28i?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 03:35 PM   #12
BMWfan73
Lord of Glencoe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPx3 View Post
Would you say the 35i benefits more with the bm3 upgrade? Is it available for lci 28i?
Absolutely! However, it depends on what you want from your vehicle. If everyday around town driving with the family is your thing, probably not so much. If you like spirited driving, go for it.

Last edited by BMWfan73; 10-06-2020 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 06:31 AM   #13
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes the 6 cylinder will benefit more.

I have the 4 cylinder and my vehicle has been transformed with smoother shifts and punchier takeoffs!
      10-06-2020, 10:23 AM   #14
Bowtiefanatc
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I've definitely been looking into BM3 for my '17 35i.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 01:25 PM   #15
ALPx3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post
Yes the 6 cylinder will benefit more.

I have the 4 cylinder and my vehicle has been transformed with smoother shifts and punchier takeoffs!
Nice. What tune mod Did you go with scostu ? I thought the bm3 not compatible with 2.8
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 07:08 PM   #16
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice. What tune mod Did you go with scostu ? I thought the bm3 not compatible with 2.8
https://www.protuningfreaks.com/coll...428i-520i-528i

I am Stage 1, 91 Octane with N20 engine.

2016 F25. I’ve added GFB DV+ and FTP chargepipes and REMUS quad exhaust.
      10-06-2020, 07:43 PM   #17
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Which engine do you have?

I’m confused because in your info....you show Drives: 17 x3 m.

I'm assuming that means a 2017 (F25) X3 Msport?
If so... you either have N20 (2.0L) of N55 (3.0L).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_X3#F25

Last edited by scostu; 10-06-2020 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 08:43 PM   #18
ALPx3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post
Which engine do you have?

I’m confused because in your info....you show Drives: 17 x3 m.

I'm assuming that means a 2017 (F25) X3 Msport?
If so... you either have N20 (2.0L) of N55 (3.0L).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_X3#F25
Yeah I have 17 2.8 m pkg. since the OP was comparing the bm3 and RC. I was confused if you were running one of those chip. Since another member comment above that bm3 didn’t make one for 2.8.

But I just look up your link and they do have one for n20. Thanks
Appreciate 0