BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
Aaqui
Rep
Drives: X3

Intermittent loss of power

I drive a 2015 X3 20d with 80k km on the clock and recently I have been experiencing an almost total lack of power intermittently.

This normally happens for a few seconds during the first few minutes after I start driving with a cold engine. When I try to accelerate from a standstill or from driving very slowly, I find that there is no power no matter how much I try to accelerate. It seems like something is limiting the engine from increasing its revs. Once I lift my foot off the accelerator and accelerate again the problem just goes away and does not happen again during that drive. The car responds normally from that point onwards.

I have taken it to the dealer several times but it seems like they cannot figure what is wrong since the problem is intermittent.

I wonder if anyone has come across a similar problem.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 12:45 AM   #2
marc x
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 stock

Try a few things out.... Does this happen on a hill or flat surfaces? Does it still happen if you put in SPORT mode (disable traction and etc)? Does the vehicle jerk once it finally goes away? Is the air conditioning on? And is the battery new or have good health?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 05:39 AM   #3
Aaqui
Rep

Hi Marc,

it happens on a flat surface as well and even in Sport+ mode.

Once I lift my foot of the accelerator and accelerate again the car drives normally with no jerking.

Air conditioning is usually on and battery seems in good health as never had issues with it. The battery is the factory original though so it has been on the car for over 5 years now.

It feels like fuel starvation that resets once I lift off the accelerator and accelerate again. Fuel filter was changed very recently as well.

Having said this, it has not happened in a week now.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 04:31 AM   #4
Aaqui
Rep

Fuel pump failure

I am posting this as an update just in case anyone else encounters the same issue.

So last week, the engine shut off on its own just a few seconds after starting it and just before i was about to drive off. I tried restarting but the engine would not start despite the fact it was cranking fine.

Took it to a BMW mechanic (not the BMW dealer) as it is out of warranty and it resulted that the fuel pump inside the fuel tank failed. Evidently the fuel pump was playing up and the engine was being starved of fuel so this explains the intermittent loss of power.

So this issue is now resolved.
Appreciate 0