BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #45
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I am a firm believer that only real names should be used in forums, not nicknames.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #46
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that some buttwipe seems to have caused his departure. I am a firm believer that only real names should be used in forums, not nicknames. People hide behind the annonymity of the Internet and are suddenly very brave and cruel to others.
I don't think that people can be forced to use real names and what do we really get by using the real names, people's nature and attitude remains the same.

I have changed my real display name to a nick few days back because of a reason and feel more comfortable now as my real name is not seen any more.

Last edited by April1; 02-10-2012 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #47
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Hmm... I guess I missed the drama. I didn't realize that Lotus was not participating in the forum. I'm sorry to hear that some buttwipe seems to have caused his departure. I am a firm believer that only real names should be used in forums, not nicknames. People hide behind the annonymity of the Internet and are suddenly very brave and cruel to others.

I too hope that Lotus will return in his own time. I do understand how he feels (without having seen the cause).
What if your real name was buttwipe? Surely a pseudonym is then permissible?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #48
Chalky White
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90, 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Or "Asswipe". Pronounced "ah-sweep-ay".

2006 325i, Sparkling, Grey, Xenons, Premium, Heated, Comfort (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #49
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
I don't think that people can be forced to use real names and what do we really get by using the real names, people's nature wont change.

I have changed my real display name to a nick few days back because of a reason and feel more comfortable now as my real name is not seen any more.
I'm sure it varies according to the software used to run a forum, but it certainly is possible to require that the Username is the person's real first and last name. Your concern is a good one, of course, because that becomes a two-edged sword. But I'll bet whoever bothered you WAS hiding behind a nickname.

I try to be civil regardless, though I certainly will get sarcastic on occasion. I would do that anyway . I disagree about the nature though, not fully, but most of the worst offenders are actually very cowardly people. They would think twice if their real name was associated with the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
What if your real name was buttwipe? Surely a pseudonym is then permissible?
Dammit sfax, how did you learn my real name!! Well, okay it might not be my real name - but I have been known to answer to it.

I guess I'm just bummed that a very valuable member of our online community chose to leave because of some abuse (again, I don't know the details). I for one will miss Lotus7. He was very helpful to me personally on a number of occasions.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #50
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamajicky View Post
Or "Asswipe". Pronounced "ah-sweep-ay".
LOL. I think I talked to that guy recently when I made a call to customer service. Turned out, in that case both pronunciations were accurate.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #51
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dammit sfax, how did you learn my real name!!
Lets contribute to present a gift to sfax and LEDZEP.

sfax created the platform and LEDZEP came out with a joke.

My two cents to both of them.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #52
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
That's a real shame as he made a very positive contribution to making everyone here a little smarter about the car they drove. Hopefully he can read this and understand that this is a community that would welcome him back with open arms.
Add me to the long list of people that appreciated his contributions and willingness to help answer difficult questions. He will be missed, but if he chooses to return he will be welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #53
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

"I guess I'm just bummed that a very valuable member of our online community chose to leave because of some abuse (again, I don't know the details). I for one will miss Lotus7. He was very helpful to me personally on a number of occasions.[/QUOTE] by LEDZEP

DITTO! I too would love for him to return as he is one of the most intelligent ones on the forum and particularly regarding vehicles (especially the X3 of which I am most interested in).
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #54
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Not sure what happened, but please come back Lotus!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #55
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

This is all rather sad and sorry to say he has gone down in my estimation as a result.

His posts portrayed a knowledgeable, intelligent and witty individual and like the rest of you I enjoyed them thoroughly.

However, to punish the entire community as the result of the actions of one individual and to go to the effort of manually deleting so many posts is just petty. Sure, retire from the forum if needed but why burn your own great legacy?

Very sad.
      02-14-2012, 04:32 AM   #56
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Agreed. He responded to an unwarranted personal attack into a selfish response that seems to contradict the whole purpose of participating in a forum like this. Would be great to see him reconsider after he gets a little distance from it.
      02-14-2012, 05:03 AM   #57
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Reminds me of the time I smashed up my cassette player after it chewed up one of my favourite cassettes. It thoroughly deserved it at the time but I regretted it later when I had no way to listen to my music

I'm sure he regrets deleting the posts now and the majority are still in place so no real damage done.

I'm also sure he'd be welcomed back by most people if he ever decided to contribute again

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #58
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Reminds me of the time I smashed up my cassette player after it chewed up one of my favourite cassettes. It thoroughly deserved it at the time but I regretted it later when I had no way to listen to my music

I've never done anything like that . . . um, er, cough, hack . . . look a spider!
      02-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #59
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm sure he regrets deleting the posts now and the majority are still in place so no real damage done.

I'm also sure he'd be welcomed back by most people if he ever decided to contribute again
Most of us exhibit this kind of behavior at least once in the life span but those who do it again and again and don't have any regrets are at high risks of damaging their own interests.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #60
rgx3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive 35i

To bad but...............................

if all it took was someone disagreeing with his post then he had some pretty thin skin. If it was indeed over the top mean or abusive isn't the moderator supposed to remove that person? And I totally agree that storming off and taking your ball with you is pretty childish and selfish. He certainly seemed knowledgable on many levels but no one is irreplaceable and hopefully others will step up and offer their knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #61
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

It's hard for me to accept one encounter, as bad as it was, would cause this kind of departure. You don't see PM's between members, you don't see the conversation(s) (if any) between him and the admin/moderators. While it is possible that someone could be that thin-skinned, even after forums like this have been around for years and you know what can happen, I'll stick with "there's-more-to-the-story" for now.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #62
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

A shot in dark: If there are BMW reps around the forum, they can bake your head and force you to quit if you happen to know enough to point out design shortcomings.

If this was the case, you cant or shouldn't say that Lotus was thin skinned, he actually fought for you.

Hope I am wrong.

Last edited by April1; 02-14-2012 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #63
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Not sure this speculation helps at all. Why not let it lie.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #64
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I don't think he will return his post (see below) seams rather final. I've received similar treatment in the Z4 e89 forum when I shared with people my unfortunate wheel cracks while I was on a cross country vacation trip. As it turned out my predictions came true more people experienced wheel cracks on the Z4 with 19 inch style 296 wheels.

I was only at the time trying to help other people. I too left for a spell even deleted posts like Lotus7 is now doing.

I can only leave this message for Lotus7

"Please rethink your actions and return, your friends here appreciate your participation. Please ignore the rest, I've done it and I am certain so can you"

Here is a copy of Lotus7 last post

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-12-2012 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #65
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbage View Post
If the "community" said this, I would understand that he'd be pissed and leave.

But just because one person in a city pisses you off, doesn't mean you should move to a different town.

Lotus, come back. As an engineer, I know you'll appreciate this:
http://xkcd.com/386/

Now use your skills to put whoever pissed you off in a filter and forget about them.
I've seen this before and it's great stuff I'm also an engineer and appreciate it, if Lotus7 sees it he too will smile and return in good time.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-12-2012 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #66
Babbage
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
I am a firm believer that only real names should be used in forums, not nicknames.
If anonymous posting wasn't allowed, I wouldn't participate in any forum.

I don't want web searches to turn up my comments 5 or 50 years from now. Who knows how they could be used or interpreted.
Appreciate 0