BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #23
chuckypowers
Rep
Drives: Audi TT

look punk when you have....

all i am gonna say is when you have placed an order and waiting 9 years .. sorry 9 months and the fricking thing still hasn't arrived ........

believe me you wont give a FCUK whether its an X3 or and X5...

You definitely should be looking at the 2.0d version of the X3 .. as my dealer said to me its the only X 4x4 model in the BMW range that you can fit your weener into the exhaust pipe ... as its one single fat hole ..

Now I'm off to make another baby as unfortunately my first child born in May is getting ready for school so has missed the fun and excitement of riding in the X3.. I knew I purchased an ISOFIX child seat for a reason..

Thank you and good night.

Chucky
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #24
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Who are you kidding -- this isn't an F-250. I think all BMWs have a bit of a feminine slant to them (and if you don't think that, realize that everyone else on the road probably does). X3, X5, they're all the same from a manliness perspective if you ask me. Wear plaid if you want to beef it up more.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #25
96_Impreza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 96 Impreza,07 Vette,11 X3 35i

My wife loves the ballsy persona of her 35i except for the fallopiantube-esque twin tail pipes.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #26
Boy_with_Joy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83;e92 M3;X3 35i MSpt;X1 MSpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by twerle View Post
I'm looking to buy either the 2012 X3 or the 2012 X5.

How many of you regret of buying the X3 instead of X5?

I believe the new X3 looks great but it does not have that MAN looks, the mean looks that the new 2012 3 series / 2012 5 series and X5 have.

Please let me know your thru opinion as a owner about it.

Thank you :-)
Obviously you have not driven a X3/bimmer, so you do not understand. BMWs are not driven for looks, they are driven for sheer joy. The one you currently drive (Lexus is250) is a barbie car in comparison to a bimmer.

Last edited by Boy_with_Joy; 10-17-2011 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 12:14 AM   #27
soj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, SP, PP, CW

Um. The is250 is a chick car. If u want to overcompensate, get a ford truck. The rest of us are happy driving our girly x3s.
2005 330i SG PP CW
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 12:34 AM   #28
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

twerle = troll
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 02:34 AM   #29
ivanoski
F25 X3 2.0 Diesel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW x3 20d 8SpdAUTO BLACK

i think the x3 is manly, it is a chick magnet, especially in black ;-)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #30
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Just couldn't afford here.

X3 2.0d and adequate options with taxes costs here $85 000.

Throw in another $50 000 and you will get X5.

We have car tax that adjusts according the car's CO2/km, so the more you "pollute" the more you pay taxes.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #31
twerle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 - MW / SO / Manual

Well if the IS250 was as good as a BMW I would not be here, looking for answers about the 2012 X3.

We are all trying to save money and make the right decision since $44K is a LOT of money, and I agree, diesel saves you lots of money, but I hate their truck noise.

I realized, that is not right answer, the key is how much money you have as both cars are great, but is either a X3 3.5 with sport pack or a very basic now almost outdated X5 that is heavier and needs much more gas to drive from point A to B and maybe is not as much fun to drive, who knows how much will gas cost next year.

The only thing is, the X5 holds value better then the X3, but at same time is much more expensive to own it.

Tank you all for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #32
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Well if the IS250 was as good as a BMW I would not be here, looking for answers about the 2012 X3.

We are all trying to save money and make the right decision since $44K is a LOT of money, and I agree, diesel saves you lots of money, but I hate their truck noise.

I realized, that is not right answer, the key is how much money you have as both cars are great, but is either a X3 3.5 with sport pack or a very basic now almost outdated X5 that is heavier and needs much more gas to drive from point A to B and maybe is not as much fun to drive, who knows how much will gas cost next year.

The only thing is, the X5 holds value better then the X3, but at same time is much more expensive to own it.

The key is most certainly not about how much money you have, not for everyone here at least. There are several members on this forum who have spent months deciding whether to get an X5 or an X3, notwithstanding of the options they can afford--in any event that's not your judgment to make. I could have just as easily afforded a fully loaded X5 xDrive50i, and I mean fully loaded, but responsibly I chose the X3. I don't need as much space as a car that can hold a third row seat, albeit a meager excuse for one at that. When I had an X5 4.4i, I was filling up two or three times a week, but with my X3, I'm filling up three times every two weeks, with a smaller tank.

What's more is that there isn't an X3 diesel in America, and there probably won't be for a year or two, so whether "you don't like the truck noise" is not something that can decide this for you. So clearly you haven't done any preliminary research about the X3, let alone BMWs at all, for that matter. BMW diesels do not sound tinky and rattly like Freightliners do, because they're refined. You remind me of parents at college info sessions, asking questions they can so easily find on the school's website. Except their attention to sentence structure and grammar is probably leaps and bounds beyond yours. If you want adults to answer your question, articulate yourself as an adult spending $44,000 should.

And to bite you back, I'll say this. For $44,000, the only X5 you're buying is Certified Pre-Owned.

Last edited by xDrive35i; 10-18-2011 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #33
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
+1

Doesn't Dodge RAM have a forum?

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #34
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:

Not quite how the post started

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #35
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

The original post had more than a whiff of Old Spice about it. Now we've turned all parsimonious and penny-pinching. Strange.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #36
Marmik
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i titanium & black

Not loving the X5 vs X3

I have a 2011 X5 35i loaner today and I have to say I DO NOT love it. I'm sort of surprised, this is the first time I've driven one and I've occasionally thought I should have considered buying one. Compared to my X3 35i it feels like a tank. Heavy, truck like and MUCH less responsive in all respects. Also don't like the seats compared to the sport seats on my X3. Prefer the placement of the driving & info controls on the X3 center console. And the X5 dash looks cheap and cluttered to me compared to the very clean X3 dash. Then there is the clunky automatic rear hatch combined with a manual drop down tailgate setup, piss poor design imho. Plus the awkward exit from a too tall SUV. Are you supposed to use those running boards as a step, mostly they seem designed to just put dirt on your pants legs as you exit the car. On the plus side, I DO like the design of the front end of the X5. But not much else. My X3 is a fast responsive sports car compared to the X5. Plenty big and economical as well. I'm happy with my choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #37
twerle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmik View Post
I have a 2011 X5 35i loaner today and I have to say I DO NOT love it. I'm sort of surprised, this is the first time I've driven one and I've occasionally thought I should have considered buying one. Compared to my X3 35i it feels like a tank. Heavy, truck like and MUCH less responsive in all respects. Also don't like the seats compared to the sport seats on my X3. Prefer the placement of the driving & info controls on the X3 center console. And the X5 dash looks cheap and cluttered to me compared to the very clean X3 dash. Then there is the clunky automatic rear hatch combined with a manual drop down tailgate setup, piss poor design imho. Plus the awkward exit from a too tall SUV. Are you supposed to use those running boards as a step, mostly they seem designed to just put dirt on your pants legs as you exit the car. On the plus side, I DO like the design of the front end of the X5. But not much else. My X3 is a fast responsive sports car compared to the X5. Plenty big and economical as well. I'm happy with my choice.
Thank you SOOO MUCH for your reply, I was looking forward to get a real review from an X3 owner and why they would not pick the X5 instead.
I used to love my 2007 328i because it was fast, well build, and was not too expensive to run. I don't like to drive truck like cars, and I do agree that the X5 has a better front end, is more rounded and the car looks more muscular. But 3 series is too small for my lifestyle with 2 babies and the X5 may be too big and expensive in the long run, so the X3 3.5 with sport package totally makes sense.

My apologies for those X3 owners that got somehow offended, when I said “I believe the new X3 looks great but it does not have that MAN looks that X5 has”, but you understand now why I was saying that.

Thank you again for your reply, and I’m sorry about my poor English, I’m Brazilian and a BMW addicted for life!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #38
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Let me add that I drove a new X5 35i before I ordered my X3 35i and there is no way I would take the X5 over the X3 35i for most of the same reasons as Marmik above - X5 too big, too "clumsy" compared to X3, more expensive, more costly to operate, and over a 1000 pounds heavier. Not very sporting, to say the least. If you don't need the carrying/cargo capacity of the X5, why would you get over the X3 35i. Looks? I don't think the new X3 looks that much different from the X5, and being "manly" or not is of zero concern to me.

For what it's worth.....
      10-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #39
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you SOOO MUCH for your reply, I was looking forward to get a real review from an X3 owner and why they would not pick the X5 instead.
I used to love my 2007 328i because it was fast, well build, and was not too expensive to run. I don't like to drive truck like cars, and I do agree that the X5 has a better front end, is more rounded and the car looks more muscular. But 3 series is too small for my lifestyle with 2 babies and the X5 may be too big and expensive in the long run, so the X3 3.5 with sport package totally makes sense.

My apologies for those X3 owners that got somehow offended, when I said “I believe the new X3 looks great but it does not have that MAN looks that X5 has”, but you understand now why I was saying that.

Thank you again for your reply, and I’m sorry about my poor English, I’m Brazilian and a BMW addicted for life!
Ah, one of those Brazil nuts.... j/k. No need to apologize for a language barrier.... some of us (me included) just took your opening remarks as one trying to incite. Glad to hear that was not the case.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #40
twerle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Let me add that I drove a new X5 35i before I ordered my X3 35i and there is no way I would take the X5 over the X3 35i for most of the same reasons as Marmik above - X5 too big, too "clumsy" compared to X3, more expensive, more costly to operate, and over a 1000 pounds heavier. Not very sporting, to say the least. If you don't need the carrying/cargo capacity of the X5, why would you get over the X3 35i. Looks? I don't think the new X3 looks that much different from the X5, and being "manly" or not is of zero concern to me.

For what it's worth.....
You are coming from a M3 then a 535xi (you are the man! ), what is your rate, your opinion on those cars and then the X3 35i? What do you like the most in the new X3 and what do you miss from those two other cars (other than the power of your M3 of course).
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #41
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
If you "don't like to drive truck like cars" and the X3 is a good enough size for you then I think the X3 would be a better pick for you than the X5.

Quote:
I agree that the X5 looks more muscular and I guess "manlier" to others but just because it looks more muscular doesn't make the X3 in any way more feminine. I don't think there's a single car in BMW's lineup that would be considered feminine, certainly nothing like the RX350 or Nissan Murano.

In terms of looks I think these exteriors look the most muscular/aggressive:

X5 M-sport > X3 M-sport > Base X3/X5*

* I think the X3 has a better front than the base X5 but the X5 has a better back. I don't understand why the X3 can't have dual exhausts on each side instead of both on the left.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #42
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
You are coming from a M3 then a 535xi (you are the man! ), what is your rate, your opinion on those cars and then the X3 35i? What do you like the most in the new X3 and what do you miss from those two other cars (other than the power of your M3 of course).
Actaully, I had the 535 before the M3. I found the 535 too large for my purposes, and the M3 was just something I HAD to have (I am old enough that doing certain things becomes important). I really enjoyed the M3 but it was not practical in the winter (although I did winter drive it), it was not the car to do longer trips where I need to haul "stuff", and it was expensive to run. Fun, yes, but not a long-term vehicle for me.

I waited for the new X3, the MSport pkg in particular. I love the mix of utility, power, handling and comfort that I get with the X3 35i MSport. Not as fun as the M3, but for everyday use, still lots of excitement if you want. It is winter-friendly, with 4 winter tires of course, and is a great daily driver.

So, what do miss from the previous cars? The power of the M3, but I don't miss the initial cost, operating cost (it eats gas)and lack of winter use of the M3. The 535xi? Well, it was a nice car, but there is not much I miss about it. It was the best of the 3 for four-person hauling, but I do that so seldom. Usually there is one or two passengers only. Older, no children, so that's never an issue.

I am very pleased with my choice of X3 35i MSport (with DHC pkg).
      10-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #43
twerle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
In terms of looks I think these exteriors look the most muscular/aggressive:

X5 M-sport > X3 M-sport > Base X3/X5*
I believe that NOTHING screams more (I'm powerful, I'm a man and pick-up more chicks) then the X6 M, that car is outstanding! But is way too much money... There is no way that I can afford a 80+K with 13/miles per gallon average, but it does look damn good.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #44
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
I believe that NOTHING screams more (I'm powerful, I'm a man and pick-up more chicks) then the X6 M, that car is outstanding! But is way too much money... There is no way that I can afford a 80+K with 13/miles per gallon average, but it does look damn good.
I disagree. Seems like a totally pointless vehicle to me.
Appreciate 0