BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
vonmark
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Ram 1500

VANOS Issues

Over the weekend my X3 started making a loud ticking sound at high rpms. I brought my vehicle into the dealer on Monday for the 15k service and to have the noise checked out. I received a call later in the day from my SA and he told me the noise was serious and they would need to open the engine. I asked if they had any idea and he told me they are sure it was VANOS related. My SA went on to tell me they think some aluminum guides (I forget exactly the part) have broken and they are rattling around in the engine. They have ordered the parts and they don't plan on opening the engine until the parts are at the dealership. Once they have completed the repair they will drop the oil pan and check for any additional damage. Needless to say I am more than a little concerned that I am having internal engine work performed on a vehicle with 15,000 miles on it. Should I be?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Hey man, it dosent matter how many miles is on the car or how new it is,
Remember it is like a safety issue here like getting the car on fire or engine explodes while driving , just be glad you caught it on time before
      04-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

In your situation I think I'd argue for a new engine, or a sizable warranty extension on the old one.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
vonmark
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Ram 1500

Well, today my SA called and said that there are additional problems and they are getting BMWNA involved. My SA told me they are recommending a new engine. I plan on selling/trading this vehicle next year. Will this hurt my resale value? I don't know how excited I would be to buy a used vehicle that has 20,000 miles on it but the new motor only has 5,000. If I was a perspective buyer that would throw a red flag that the vehicle has been abused or it is a lemon. One bright spot has been my 2013 328 loaner that I have been driving for over two weeks. What a great car.

Last edited by vonmark; 04-12-2013 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

I don't think it would have a negative effect, a friend of mine bought a 2002 M3 that had the motor replaced (part of the campaign where they replaced like all the engines) and it wasn't an issue. Just say there was an issue with the old engine, they replaced it so we're good. I would be more worried about having an engine with major issues for resale. Anyway if you trade it in nobody will even know - they basically just make sure it's in one piece and calculate how many miles it has.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
fjrmann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 X35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmark View Post
I don't know how excited I would be to buy a used vehicle that has 20,000 miles on it but the new motor only has 5,000. If I was a perspective buyer that would throw a red flag that the vehicle has been abused or it is a lemon. One bright spot has been my 2013 328 loaner that I have been driving for over two weeks. What a great car.
No worries at all. New owner will have no problem with a new motor. I had my '11 X3 in the shop and I too drove the small 2013 328. I took it back after several hours and drove a bit nicer 528i. Much nice car, just a bit more room, but very nice features.
Appreciate 0