BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
Dreamboy
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3

Question X3 28i Tire question

Hi Guys,
My dealer called today that my car is ready for delivery, I may be picking it up today.

I got the 18" wheels - Sport Activity Package.

I asked my CA what tires it came with, since I was curious after reading all the discussion about the Goodyear LS2 tires.

I am in the New England area, it snows and I have to commute in snow

What do you guys think my options are now?

Is there a way the dealer can swap the tires to a different tire before the delivery? if Yes, how did you guys do it?

What other tires do you guys suggest based on experience?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamboy View Post
I am in the New England area, it snows and I have to commute in snow
If you have to commute on any unplowed or back roads, IMHO a set of real winter tires/wheels is worthwhile. The cost is partially offset by the reduced mileage (wear) on your all -seasons or summer tires which will last a few seasons longer.

Quote:
What other tires do you guys suggest based on experience?
My 35i came with Pirelli P7 (all season run-flats) which are OK in light snow (up to an inch or two). They have decent traction on dry roads, but do get a little noisy when approaching their lateral limits.

Quote:
What do you guys think my options are now?
Is there a way the dealer can swap the tires to a different tire before the delivery? if Yes, how did you guys do it?
If you have a dealership who really wants to keep you happy, they might be willing to swap tires and wheels with another car. However, the cars they have in stock currently probably all have the same brand tires. Obviously, you can always pay to have any tires you want mounted, but it's unlikely the dealership will give you very much "trade in value" for the original tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Pretty much agree with Lotus7, and it really depends on the roads you commute on. For example, I have a long (50 mile each way) commute in the Mid Atlantic, where winters can either be very mild or very harsh... but the roads I travel are generally well maintained and most are priority routes. So, unless I'm caught in the onset of a snow storm they are usually fine with a decent set of all seasons. Getting in and out of my development is often the biggest challenge. When faced with those decisions, I am fortunate that I can work from home.

Dealerships don't usually like to be in the tire business if they can help it, but I'm sure they will gladly sell you a set of winter tires and mount them for you if you like. Are you thinking of going to a summer/winter rotation, or all-season/winter rotation?

As Lotus speculated, I doubt they will give you much if any consideration for the pull-offs if you want them swapped. They can't sell them as new, and they don't want the hassle.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0