BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
roders
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0D MSport F25

Interior Trim Removal?

Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone with their new F25 has looked at removing the interior trim? I've ordered mine with the woodgrain trim but considering changing it later, dont want to loose my production slot and potentially waiting another 6 months.
Door trims seem not too hard, but more concerned with the centre trim where the new gear changer is. Doesnt seem as easy as pulling up the boot like the previous X3.
Anyone?

Thanks
Rod.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

While I don't have much personal experience in changing the interior trim I wouldn't expect it to be too difficult of a job. Reason being is because people often buy the trim parts themselves and either DIY or pay the dealership labor costs. More importantly you should speak with the dealer who ordered your car ASAP as they can give you more information and the sooner they contact the production plant the more likely they'll be able to change it without a 6 month wait.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Changed the trim in my old X5, all parts where easy apart from the centre console, it was a real pain. X3 console i would think will be the same. Check here for parts http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do...ies=F25&arch=0
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 05:53 AM   #4
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by roders View Post
Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone with their new F25 has looked at removing the interior trim? I've ordered mine with the woodgrain trim but considering changing it later, dont want to loose my production slot and potentially waiting another 6 months.
Door trims seem not too hard, but more concerned with the centre trim where the new gear changer is. Doesnt seem as easy as pulling up the boot like the previous X3.
Anyone?

Thanks
Rod.
Have you successfully change the trim in your X3? May I know the part number and how much did you pay for them?

Unlike most of you guys who can fully customized your car, here I can only choose exterior color and leather color. All the options are pre-selected depending which "model" is choosen, there are only 2 models available for X3 20d, business and executive. The salesperson mistakenly said the executive comes with wood trim, turned out it's not the case. All diesel X3s comes with satin silver interior trim.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Quote:
Hi All,
Anyone?

Thanks
Rod.
I HAVE changed the trim, on my F25 and it is not what you'd expect.

The dash piece just pops off.

The piece around the transmission also pops off but comes off with the iDrive and the electronics to the left of the stick. You must carefully disconnect the wiring and unscrew them to exchange the trim piece.

Now here is the worst part -

The 4 door trim pieces (at least on my X3 built in late Jan), besides having pop-out clips, are also screwed in from the inside of the door panel. This means you have to remove the whole door panel to release them. Not fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanintx View Post
I HAVE changed the trim, on my F25 and it is not what you'd expect.

The dash piece just pops off.

The piece around the transmission also pops off but comes off with the iDrive and the electronics to the left of the stick. You must carefully disconnect the wiring and unscrew them to exchange the trim piece.

Now here is the worst part -

The 4 door trim pieces (at least on my X3 built in late Jan), besides having pop-out clips, are also screwed in from the inside of the door panel. This means you have to remove the whole door panel to release them. Not fun.
What trim did you remove and what did you fit?

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep

Removed light wavewood trim and replaced with dark wavewood trim. Long story.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
roders
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Were there any issues with AirBag sensors when you removed the door trims?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
Removed light wavewood trim and replaced with dark wavewood trim. Long story.
Alanintx,
Any issues with the fit and finish with the newly installed trim? Rattles?
Did your dealer do it?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #10
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep

"Were there any issues with AirBag sensors when you removed the door trims?"

I replaced the wood grain trim on the doors, dash (above the glovebox), and around the transmission. Not even close to an air-bag sensor as far as I know.

"Any issues with the fit and finish with the newly installed trim? Rattles?
Did your dealer do it?"

No issues whatsoever. I did the transmission and the dashboard pieces. I had the dealer do the door pieces as they don't just pop out (as I expected). They are screwed in from inside the door panel. Removing the door panel is not that difficult, but I did not want to attempt it as it is very easy to mar the edges.

The door trim pieces have 3 or 4 spring clips, which by themselves should easily keep the trim in place. I have no clue why BMW decided to have them attached with screws, as well. Over-engineered, in my humble opinion.

One of these days, I will put the light wavewood pieces up on eBay.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
One of these days, I will put the light wavewood pieces up on eBay.
Ah.. if only your car is RHD! I'm quite disappointed when I couldn't order my car with wood trim. If I want the wood trim, I'd have to go with the petrol 35i version, but we wanted the diesel from the beginning, so we're stuck with the silver matte trim.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #12
roders
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I'm located in Australia and looking to remove my woodgrain trim to have them covered in Carbon Fibre Wrap. We are RHD.
Happy to swap trims as after I've covered the trim does not make a difference if I have woodgrain or silver.
Only thing you would have to send me your trim first and then I can post you mine after I've done swap. PM me if interested.

Regards
Rod
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I was planning to remove mine and replace it with the exact same style.

If they come out with a CF kit... that might be tempting. Otherwise, I'm happy with Siena.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm located in Australia and looking to remove my woodgrain trim to have them covered in Carbon Fibre Wrap. We are RHD.
Happy to swap trims as after I've covered the trim does not make a difference if I have woodgrain or silver.
Only thing you would have to send me your trim first and then I can post you mine after I've done swap. PM me if interested.

Regards
Rod
I haven't received my car yet.. just ordered it few weeks back, and dealer estimated 3 months wait.
I was thinking to convert the silver matte trim to wood using hydro-printing later on, but I have to see real sample first.
Thank you for the offer though
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #15
roders
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

No problems, about to take delivery of mine next week
Been a LONG wait....deposit was down March 2010 after seeing how small the X1 was :P
Appreciate 0