BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-03-2015, 02:48 AM   #1
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Extended Warranty?

Well the time has come to decide whether or not to take the extended warranty out on the X3.

I checked the price online yesterday after receiving the letter from BMW and it was in the region of £600/£700 (Comprehensive), but this drops to just over £400 if I change the Excess to £250, which makes it seem a little more appealing.

I was thinking that if anything major were to go wrong, then paying the £250 Excess is definitely worth while, but on the other hand if I'm prepared to pay for cheaper repairs (if that's possible at BMW!) without making a claim then I could end up being out of pocket.
My 3 Series has just been in for an Oil Pressure Warning Light as well as delayed ignition start and that cost me £500, so my way of thinking is, most repairs are likely to be expensive, especially with all the additional tech on board these days.

Has anyone else taken the warranty recently?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 04:15 AM   #2
ninoo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 x3 2.0d Auto

In 2014 I extended the warranty on my 2011 X3 and decided at that time that
paying the excess was best value. I had some issues resolved successfully under warranty in the first two years of ownership. As it turned out I had no issues in year 4 and then traded for 2015 LCI x3.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2015, 06:32 AM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petex3 View Post
Well the time has come to decide whether or not to take the extended warranty out on the X3.

I checked the price online yesterday after receiving the letter from BMW and it was in the region of £600/£700 (Comprehensive), but this drops to just over £400 if I change the Excess to £250, which makes it seem a little more appealing.

I was thinking that if anything major were to go wrong, then paying the £250 Excess is definitely worth while, but on the other hand if I'm prepared to pay for cheaper repairs (if that's possible at BMW!) without making a claim then I could end up being out of pocket.
My 3 Series has just been in for an Oil Pressure Warning Light as well as delayed ignition start and that cost me £500, so my way of thinking is, most repairs are likely to be expensive, especially with all the additional tech on board these days.

Has anyone else taken the warranty recently?
What was the cost if paying monthly by direct debit? My X3 has 11 months left of the 3 year warranty to run before I am confronted by the same problem. Also does the quote you received include the BMW breakdown? Is yours the 2.0d or is it the 3 litre diesel?

I understand from reading elsewhere that if you renew annually the price goes up each renewel, especially after the car has done 60,000 miles, but stays the same on Direct Debit.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I took out the comprehensive warranty with basic breakdown cover (recover car and deliver to nearest main dealer) and opted for maximum excess. The cost was about £180. My annual mileage is low and I have not needed anything done for two years, so I thought this was the best option for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 07:09 AM   #5
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
I took out the comprehensive warranty with basic breakdown cover (recover car and deliver to nearest main dealer) and opted for maximum excess. The cost was about £180. My annual mileage is low and I have not needed anything done for two years, so I thought this was the best option for me.
For 1 year? What does that include?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
What was the cost if paying monthly by direct debit? My X3 has 11 months left of the 3 year warranty to run before I am confronted by the same problem. Also does the quote you received include the BMW breakdown? Is yours the 2.0d or is it the 3 litre diesel?

I understand from reading elsewhere that if you renew annually the price goes up each renewel, especially after the car has done 60,000 miles, but stays the same on Direct Debit.
Comprehensive (Inc Emergency Service Cover) - £392.55 one off payment (for the year) or £36.16 a mth
Excess - £250

Without Emergency Service Cover - £311.97 or £28.92 a mth

Mine is a 2.0D at 22,400 miles

The monthly payments are classed as Pay as You Go so you can cancel at any time.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #7
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That seems cheap compared to mine and therefore the amount of miles you've done can make a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 04:48 PM   #8
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
For 1 year? What does that include?
I am sorry Peter, I got my figures wrong. I paid £301.99 for one year comprehensive cover excluding emergency service.It does cover warranty assist, which is recovery of the car to the closest BMW dealer.
Everything is covered except tyres, brakes and exhaust I believe.

Let me know if you would like a PDF copy of the policy handbook and I can email it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petex3 View Post
That seems cheap compared to mine and therefore the amount of miles you've done can make a big difference.
Sorry Pete, it was £301.99 for comprehensive cover including £250 excess.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 02:08 AM   #10
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry Pete, it was £301.99 for comprehensive cover including £250 excess.
No problem, it doesn't sound as bad now
So it works out that yours is around £10 cheaper if I went for the same level as yourself. I guess it depends on whether I would like the additional benefits of roadside assistance (rather than just picked up and dropped to the dealer). Although going by previous experience it seems the car would primarily be taken to the dealer in the end any way!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 01:50 PM   #11
gofunner
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3

mark
Appreciate 0