BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #23
analogue
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa12 View Post
Agreed. Although 1M does not have a bespoked engine but a retuned N54, the engine is nevertheless unique to the 1M.
The 1M has the same engine as the Z4 3.5is.

But as others mention, once you drive it, there is simply no reason to question the choice except dogmatic nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #24
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

X5...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
X5M is a full blown M car just doesn't sound right. I understand your reasoning, but I bet you would struggle to find many on here who think X5Ms and X6Ms are real M cars.
Anyone remember Hans Stuck's hotlaps around the ring in the X5...OK, it had a 12 cylinder LMP motor in it...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #25
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsault270
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
M5 shares its power plant with the X5M (and is closely related to the X5 50i and 550i/650i). Those seem to sell well.

I don't think you're actually upset that a largely series/production engine is being utilized in the X4M (it makes sense); but rather, that the M2 won't be equipped with a proper M engine (with what that even means, at this point, being a question unto itself).

Me personally- I bet it's a fine power plant, one that will suit both uses well.

The M2 chassis is what should really shine.
Yes but the M5 and the X5M are full blown M cars. This is an X4 M40i not an X4M.
X5M is a full blown M car just doesn't sound right. I understand your reasoning, but I bet you would struggle to find many on here who think X5Ms and X6Ms are real M cars.
This.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #26
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
It's not an M engine. Similar to 1M.
But surely you can see where this harms the perception of the engine in the M2?

"Introducing the M2. Powered by the same N55B30T0 engine found in a compact SAV offering by the same manufacturer."

Might as well put the same engine in a minivan.

Blech I mean, I get it. Bespoke engines are bad for the bottom line. There's a ton of R&D cost that has to be recuperated, but it's really making the M2 look like the bastard child of the M lineup.

The resulting car is going to have to be out of this world, or the press is going to eat it alive. A lot of the same criticisms were levied against the 1M:

"It's a parts bin car."

"It doesn't have a 'real' M-engine."

But when people drove it, those facts took a back seat to the experience. The 1M was/is a hoot to drive. M had better deliver with the M2, because if it is at all soft, toned down, or numb, it's going to get eaten alive in the press and in the minds of buyers.
M5 shares its power plant with the X5M (and is closely related to the X5 50i and 550i/650i). Those seem to sell well.

I don't think you're actually upset that a largely series/production engine is being utilized in the X4M (it makes sense); but rather, that the M2 won't be equipped with a proper M engine (with what that even means, at this point, being a question unto itself).

Me personally- I bet it's a fine power plant, one that will suit both uses well.

This is not the x4m. It's an m-performance x4. That's what people have issues with when using a m-esque engine that is designed for the "m"2.
Yeah it's a joke.

Not low numbers, but another Quasi M-Car.

The guy above saying this is the same as AMG is crazy.

AMG's 1 engine 1 man is now calling many people over from this deluded non focused brand.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #27
av689
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 f83

Any thoughts if it is going to be a good idea to swap this n55b30to into f30 328i when I'm tired of my n20?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #28
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

So next year we will have a x4 m40i with a n55 and a 340i with a b58 ideal way to stop confusion BMW!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #29
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa12 View Post
Agreed. Although 1M does not have a bespoked engine but a retuned N54, the engine is nevertheless unique to the 1M.
The 1M has the same engine as the Z4 3.5is.

But as others mention, once you drive it, there is simply no reason to question the choice except dogmatic nonsense.
And also the 335is.
      10-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #30
Manbnda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 AW

I agree with BMW copying the "S" Audi model thing, it gives more value and differentiation from "base engine models" in aesthetics and performance.
BMW was losing against Audi in this department.
A 235i model would not have competed against the S3. The M235i is not bad.
Also the S4 is faster than the newer 335i and it has a Sport Differential.
The same thing happens with the 6 series vs S7s

The most important thing of this note is that now we have the exact power the new B engine on the M440i will have, and it's a huge improvement.

Last edited by Manbnda; 10-22-2014 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #31
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

I can't wait to see how is performing against Macan Turbo.
I think that they will have close prices.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #32
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Garage List
I really like my X4. I have the M-sport package, 20" black rims, LED headlights with all the exterior pieces blacked out on ALpine White and it looks sick... i will agree the pics make it look like the GT cars and when you look at them in person they are not the same at all. X4 is far better looking... its fast in the 35i version and will actually take turns just as good as my F30 328.. they are just a fun car to drive and you have to see it in person before you knock it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #33
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Hmm, interesting. Exterior styling is not exactly my taste, but at least it has a N55
      10-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #34
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I love all the hate on these boards, at this point I would say 50% of BMWs are hated by people here, maybe you should go over to an Audi or Mercedes forum instead...

These cars sell, in the US and overseas, which is why they keep making them and new versions of them. This thing will sell like crazy in certain markets.

I personally like it, wasn't crazy when I saw photos but saw a few in person the other day and thought they looked nice, different (good different) which is why my wife likes them. And for those who say its not "practical", sure it is, the trunk floor area is the same as the X3, it just looses air space at the top and my family loads up our X3 maybe 2-3 days per year, meaning the rest of the time the X4 would work perfectly. My wife likes the higher ride height compared to a wagon or GT, which is why there is a niche for this car, the few thousand people that it fits perfectly for.

All the comparisons to the Macan are amusing, have you guys all seen them in person? personally I prefer the X4 style wise (exterior only), and this M40i will run circles around the Macan S for about the same price, can't compare it to the Turbo as that's $80K once optioned out. I just don't want to deal with Porsche maintenance.

Anyone who loves cars and understands business should understand what BMW is doing and appreciate what they are doing (for future development of their company)

Also, please everyone stop with the "real M car" crap, as has been said before M=Marketing now, it isn't much different than AMG or S/RS, its just a letter BMW uses to describe something as being "sporty and premium", so if you see someone in a M40i is the first thing you are thinking "its not a real M" LOL, WHO CARES, its the highest performing X3/X4 they offer and that's what should matter.
+1 companies are here to make a profit and grow market share, a Cayenne or Macan in the same breath is not a "TRUE" Porsche either but Porsche has to survive and expand its range. In the end the customers gain maybe at the expense of the brand enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #35
5against8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80. 3 pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
haha lmfao so nasty looking ... what kind of aliens buy this mess
I am an alien. I want one

Also the original post claims that production will start THIS December? This contradicts previous leaks that gave an SOP of Dec 2015. I'm doubting this would have been moved up a full year. As of a few weeks ago my Client Advisor wasn't convinced this car was going to happen.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #36
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Why does a non m-car get an "m" engine?
That's the first thing that came to my mind? WTF????
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #37
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako
I love all the hate on these boards, at this point I would say 50% of BMWs are hated by people here, maybe you should go over to an Audi or Mercedes forum instead...

These cars sell, in the US and overseas, which is why they keep making them and new versions of them. This thing will sell like crazy in certain markets.

I personally like it, wasn't crazy when I saw photos but saw a few in person the other day and thought they looked nice, different (good different) which is why my wife likes them. And for those who say its not "practical", sure it is, the trunk floor area is the same as the X3, it just looses air space at the top and my family loads up our X3 maybe 2-3 days per year, meaning the rest of the time the X4 would work perfectly. My wife likes the higher ride height compared to a wagon or GT, which is why there is a niche for this car, the few thousand people that it fits perfectly for.

All the comparisons to the Macan are amusing, have you guys all seen them in person? personally I prefer the X4 style wise (exterior only), and this M40i will run circles around the Macan S for about the same price, can't compare it to the Turbo as that's $80K once optioned out. I just don't want to deal with Porsche maintenance.

Anyone who loves cars and understands business should understand what BMW is doing and appreciate what they are doing (for future development of their company)

Also, please everyone stop with the "real M car" crap, as has been said before M=Marketing now, it isn't much different than AMG or S/RS, its just a letter BMW uses to describe something as being "sporty and premium", so if you see someone in a M40i is the first thing you are thinking "its not a real M" LOL, WHO CARES, its the highest performing X3/X4 they offer and that's what should matter.
I personally like the look of the X4 too. But if it were my money I wouldn't pay more for an X4 than an X3 to receive less utility when one of the only reasons I would buy such a vehicle is its utility. Seems backwards to me. But if one liked the looks of an X4 a lot more than an X3 well hey it's their money.

We all have opinions and would like to see BMW do what we think would be best. I think most of us understand that BMW makes cars to make money, but what makes BMW such a valuable brand is the enthusiasm and loyalty of its customers. A lot of us here are passionate about these cars and this brand. Especially M cars. So, yes, I will and others will constructively criticize BMW (or "hate")on these forums when we feel it is warranted.

But I would also add that I generally agree with your points.
      10-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #38
5against8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post
Anyone remember Hans Stuck's hotlaps around the ring in the X5...OK, it had a 12 cylinder LMP motor in it...
Yes! And remember thinking: "They'll NEVER make an M-X5.. (nope that's a Miata) or X5M.. or whatever they'll call it.." lol
      10-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #39
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31
Quote:
Why does a non m-car get an "m" engine?
That's the first thing that came to my mind? WTF????
The engine in the 1M was first used in the Z435is and 335is and it ended up being an excellent car. I am buying an M2 and I could care less if it ends up in something else. Just my opinion.
      10-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #40
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Wow BMW is really stretching to offer as many ugly crossovers with confusing names and badges as possible these days!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #41
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5against8 View Post
I am an alien. I want one

Also the original post claims that production will start THIS December? This contradicts previous leaks that gave an SOP of Dec 2015. I'm doubting this would have been moved up a full year. As of a few weeks ago my Client Advisor wasn't convinced this car was going to happen.
Sorry, my mistake with the years

Production starts December 2015 as before.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #42
5against8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Sorry, my mistake with the years

Production starts December 2015 as before.
Thx for the clarification
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #43
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
So why do you buy this car instead of Macan? Any thoughts? I can't seem to find a single answer on my own.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #44
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post

That bolded section really gets to the point, and is exactly why I think M has to deliver with the M2 in a big way. I'm repeating myself, but the 1M got a pass because it was such a fantastically fun car to drive. There's a very real risk that the M2 will suffer from the same numbness as other recent M models. I hope BMW figures this out before they deliver the car.

The whole "real M engine" conversation is very frustrating to me. On one side, you've got people shouting down anyone who complains that the N55B30T0 isn't a real M engine. The argument seems to be: "if the performance is there, why complain?" Well, because there is more to a great car than performance.

Back when I drove a MkV GTI, a Nissan Altima V6 had better 0-60 performance. Does that make the Nissan Altima equivalent to a GTI? Hell no! Not if you're a car enthusiast. The experience of driving the GTI was worlds apart from an Altima. Granted, the things that differentiated the GTI from the rest of the automotive world were far fewer than the things that differentiate an M-car from the rest of the pack, but it was that short list of things that made all the difference.

The M2 has one fewer things on its list of differentiating factors. Is that the end of the world? No, of course not. I hope I'm not coming across to breathlessly desperate over that fact. The M2 is still very high on my list of cars that could replace my current M, but I will still lament the absence of the S65 in my life. Sorry of that sounds a little to melodramatic, but that's how I feel about cars. Every time I start my car, I leave the door open so I can hear it. It's that experience that drove me to M. If that erodes too far, I'll go looking elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsault270 View Post
Yes but the M5 and the X5M are full blown M cars. This is an X4 M40i not an X4M.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
There's the subjective evaluation of "real M car", and then there's the objective evaluation. If a car is built by M GmbH, it's a "real M car". End of story. You don't have to like a car for it to be a real M car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
How about you not act so entitled as to dictate what other people should or shouldn't value in an automobile? I do not begrudge the M-Performance lineup. In fact, I love the fact that BMW have introduced the M-Performance line. I wish they had done it years ago, so I could have driven one!

I don't like the phrasing "real M". It sounds elitist, so I'm going to avoid it from here on. Apparently some people cannot be bothered to be generous in their interpretation when someone says "real M", so we must avoid that phrasing altogether.

My complaint is this: In the past cars developed by M GmbH placed a very high priority on all of the things that automotive enthusiasts held dear. All the components that delivered excellent handling and performance were reworked by M. This meant dramatically upgraded suspension, improved steering response, and an engine that delivered not only performance, but excitement. By using the N55B30T0 in the M2, M GmbH has shown that they are willing to compromise on the last item.

Let's avoid a false dichotomy here. It's all shades of gray. It's hard to argue that a bespoke (or mostly bespoke) engine wasn't a big part of the draw of an M car, even dating back to the E30 M3. Case in point, the US model E36 M3 got a half-ass M-engine, and it's the most overlooked of the M3 lineup.

This is great news for the X4 M40i. I'm thrilled, especially considered the fact that this car is on my list of potential purchases. I just think it's concerning that M GmbH have chosen to forego a special variation of the N55 in the M2 in lieu of a what is becoming a series production engine.

Quote:
This is not the x4m. It's an m-performance x4. That's what people have issues with when using a m-esque engine that is designed for the "m"2.
That's close, but as cSurf pointed out above, it's more the other way around. The drag is that the X4 M40i engine is being used in the M2, rather than the other way around
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport

Last edited by bradleyland; 10-23-2014 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 0