BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
manutd123
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d SE 2012 Auto (soon)

Most economical way to use Navigation and Apple IPhone 4/4S with Music?

Hi guys.

I have an order for an X3 SE auto delivering in July in UK.

I need a Navigation, plus bluetooth functionality for my IPhone 4 including charger, which i understand will also allow playback of my music on my IPhone.

I have made a numbers of additions to my order, so i would like to find out the most economical way to obtain all the above functions.

I see you can obtain accessories such as:

Portable Navigation Pro
Snap-in Adapter
Professional Media package
Business Media package
IPhone cable

Please can someone help advise if there are any other options and which would help me the cheapest, but also without any clutter or visible wires etc.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
I would suggest that you get the Pro Media Nav, since the screen is wider. The advantage is that, when ur a music fan, it would be easier to scroll and select playlist and tracks more efficiently while have the other half of the screen on active Nav.

That's just my experience from my US spec 35i.

Also you need a snap in adapter, since u like music, I would like to recommend this model 84212199390.
This adapter would allow you to do play ur music from ur iPhone 4, charge it, get calls, and also it allows you to play videos from ur iPhone to ur Nav screen
      04-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
manutd123
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Hi kamigawa120 - i initially ordered this, but am now looking for the cheapest, but still clutter-free, way of doing this.

In UK, Pro Media is £2500 or $US 4000, i would prefer to do other upgrades in that money like VDC etc and keep the Nav / IPhone / Music option as economical as possible, but still viable.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
manutd123
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

So, has anyone had any experience with the BMW Satellite Navigation System?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Get the Pro Media Pack. Delete other options like VDC if you have to. It is so much more than just Sat Nav. Beautiful widescreen display with split screen functionality (so you can have, for example, media/radio info on one half and journey computer on the other), full black panel dashboard (looks and functions so much better), voice control (including full address entry in one go, very impressed with this - also voice select of artist, track or album from your iPhone library), Connected Drive (send addresses to car, remote control car, use Google Local search within car, BMW Assist emergency button...)

Also will recoup about half on resale. X models without Nav are like X models without Xenons... Batman without Robin (bad example maybe as I love the Robin-free Nolan films)
      04-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
manutd123
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

dnw - thanks for the help.

As i can't afford all the extras i want, i have to therefore drop 1 of my options.

If i take the Pro Media Pack, can anyone make suggestions as to which i should remove from the following and WHY please:

Xenons Headlights
VDC with Performance Control
18in runflat tyres upgrade

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
I apologize bro, I am not experienced at euro speced x3s :P. kinda confusing on the business, media pro Nav.

On the us, I think we are offered just a pro Nav
      04-18-2012, 01:50 AM   #8
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

VDC for sure. It's great if you have the budget but you can definitely live without it. I have standard suspension on my M Sport (M Sport Suspension Delete) and it is fine. Great ride over the crap UK roads and fine on the motorway. Sport suspension on its own is also fine if you like a firmer ride and to lose your fillings on potholes

If you do go for Pro Media also add the following to get the most out of it:

BMW Apps
Telephone USB Audio Connection
Internet

..but don't worry they are all dead cheap.
      04-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
I'd drop the 18in runflat tyres upgrade. That is something you can always add/change in the future. The others on the list you can not. Seems like a no brainer to me!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #10
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

Get pro Nav with Apps.... oh and support a decent team ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #11
cheesebag
United Kingdom
Rep

I see you're in the West Mids... I work in Darlaston if you wanna pop in and see the Pro nav with Apps working!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
manutd123
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebag View Post
Get pro Nav with Apps.... oh and support a decent team ;-)
Thanks

Just looking at the Pro Media, the showroom is telling me that for my Apple IPhone 4, i should be looking at

Professional Nav System - £2515
Telephone USB interface - £70
Snap-In Media Adaptor - £130/£160 (he wasn't sure on price)

When i have a £100 Garmin SatNav in my car at the moment, i am struggling to justify so much more for all of the above.

The showroom looked into the Portable Nav System and are now saying it's now compatible with the current F25 X3.

Almost £2000 of this money is for the Sat Nav feature, i know there is also BMW Assist etc, but i can't help but think this is very expensive.

Want the thrill - that's exactly as i initially thought. That is, stick with 17s for the next year and then upgrade later, as it is an external part of the car, i could do without this right now.

But then i'm not sure if the VDC is of any benefit unless it's on the M-Sport. 99% of the time it would run in normal mode on the SE Auto, but i can see the value of it on an otherwise stiffer suspension on an M-Sport.

dnw - no offence intended, but if you take the sports suspension off the M-Sport, without the VDC offering you an alternative, would this not defeat the benefit of having an M-Sport upgrade? I was contemplating the same at one point, but felt it would need to either have the sports suspension or the VDC, otherwise it would be a whole lot more for the M-Sport name but with the deletion of one of its main attributes, it would ultimately be a well-dressed SE...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
kingbadger
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 3.0D MSport

I've gone for the pro nav despite having the the same "poor value" reservations as you. When I placed my order the 3.5D wasn't out, had it been I might have been tempted to put it towards that....but

2 main reasons I paid:

Firstly it is just so darned cool. The smaller screen with the side blanking plates looks mean (IMO) and the split screen album art etc on the bigger full width pro nav screen looks superb

Secondly, you probably get about 50% back at resale. So many Beemers have Pro Nav, Leather, auto, few buyers bother with the ones that don't. So to move it you have to discount.

On VDC: Its much more than the ability to make the suspension stiffer when you want to enjoy youself (although that's a pretty good reason....). At ordinary round-town speeds on our increasingly poor UK roads (full of failing patch repairs), the car rides just so much more smoothly in the VDC Normal setting than on the regular non-MSport dampers. I had long tests in a 2.0D SE on standard 17" rims (1 day) and a 3.0D MSport with VDC on 20" rims (a whole weekend) and the MSport was noticeably smoother in "normal" even on its much lower profile tyres. Astonishing. A must-have extra for me. A Limo when you want, a beast when you want.

Last edited by kingbadger; 04-18-2012 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: can't spell!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutd123 View Post
dnw - no offence intended, but if you take the sports suspension off the M-Sport, without the VDC offering you an alternative, would this not defeat the benefit of having an M-Sport upgrade?
No.. M Sport upgrade is a lot more than just suspension. Also, M Sport suspension delete is becoming more and more common across the range, especially on X models. Look at the used ones and you'll see plenty with it.

A number on the board have done the same. Its down to personal taste, mine is that sport suspension is too hard for my local roads. I also massively prefer the M Sport look now that I have it, I've seen a few SE's around and they look rather naked by comparison. Up to you to chose what you like of course!
      04-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
manutd123
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw View Post
No.. M Sport upgrade is a lot more than just suspension. Also, M Sport suspension delete is becoming more and more common across the range, especially on X models. Look at the used ones and you'll see plenty with it.

A number on the board have done the same. Its down to personal taste, mine is that sport suspension is too hard for my local roads. I also massively prefer the M Sport look now that I have it, I've seen a few SE's around and they look rather naked by comparison. Up to you to chose what you like of course!
Many thanks dnw, i would absolutely love to have the M-Sport, the wife is less keen, but it's a little out of my budget when i add the essential extras.

How does the Internet connection work on the Pro Media? Do you have to pay subscription or rental?

For those out there with an IPhone and Pro Media, what else did you add for maximising your IPhone?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutd123 View Post
How does the Internet connection work on the Pro Media? Do you have to pay subscription or rental?
It's included for 3 years. Be warned that its painfully slow! good for emergency use only (and for impressing your friends ). Google Local search in the Nav is pretty quick though and very useful.

Quote:
For those out there with an IPhone and Pro Media, what else did you add for maximising your IPhone?
The full house as far as the iPhone is concerned is as follows:

Pro Media Pack
BMW Apps
Cradle for iPhone

The integration with the above is seriously impressive. Twitter and Facebook in the car, album cover art and voice select of songs... the only problem is I keep forgetting the damn phone in the car and having to go back for it!

With all those clever nanny messages that appear in the dash, you think they would have one that says "Don't forget your phone!" when you switch off with it in the cradle...
      04-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #17
manutd123
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Quote:
It's included for 3 years. Be warned that its painfully slow! good for emergency use only (and for impressing your friends ). Google Local search in the Nav is pretty quick though and very useful.

Pro Media Pack
BMW Apps
Cradle for iPhone

The integration with the above is seriously impressive. Twitter and Facebook in the car, album cover art and voice select of songs... the only problem is I keep forgetting the damn phone in the car and having to go back for it!

With all those clever nanny messages that appear in the dash, you think they would have one that says "Don't forget your phone!" when you switch off with it in the cradle...
Thanks dnw.

So I assume:

BMW Apps is option code 6NR.
Telephone USB Audio Connection is option code 6NF.

Which is the cradle? Do you mean Snap-In Media Adaptor?

Last edited by manutd123; 04-18-2012 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #18
Andrewob
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

For the record, I bought my X3 without nav and regret it. Given the choice again I would add pro media.

I would drop vdc as I don't see the point on an suv, likewise the run flats as nearly everyone I speak to about run flats don't like them.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #19
vojak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Can someone advise on what BMW apps adds to the package please. I dont see it specifically in the configurator.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 05:51 AM   #20
cheesebag
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Pro Media Pack
BMW Apps
Cradle for iPhone

What Dnw said.... seriously impresses all that see it! Especially the facebook and twitter and web radio.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #21
cc52bimmer
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528i, 328i Conv, X3, R1200RT

Hello. I am Brand new to Bimmer Post. X3: Does anyone know the towing capacity for the new 4 cyl. US spec? Is a trailer hitch available as a factory option?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #22
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

We are planning to keep the car for 5+ years so the Nav option will be out of date, since we have android phones we use them for NAV. We added the bluetooth which works great (tested it on several demo runs).
For audio we have a 32meg USB stick fully loaded with music and this too plays really well.
Yes if your going to sell within 3 years Im sure you get 50% back but its still a few quid to have the Nav. The Assist package also looks good but we passed on that.
As to the screen size well we all know thats sizes doesnt matter....lol... and what you dont have wont be missed. (We started off looking at the X1 and that did not have any screen!!)
Appreciate 0