BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #1893
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Hi all, sorry to mess up a thread thats talking about existing orders. Unfortunately my humble salary can't stretch to a 35d, so I'm pondering either the 2.0d or the 3.0d. From what I've read the 3.0d (and 3.5d) get metalic paint and auto as standard (but not much more). So unless I'm misreading prices, I'll have to pay a £4k uplift (over a metalic & auto 2.0d) to go from a 2.0d to 3.0d, can anyone confirm if the extra power is worth it. Will the 3.0d hold it's value as much as 2.0d, or will I lose the extra £4k over the 2 or 3 years I keep the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #1894
SR40X3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

You are correct with the figures.

All I will say is try them. We have a 2.0d on order...great engine.

Owned a 3.0d X5 in the past...brilliant engine.

Test drove a 335d....astonishing engine.

Buy the biggest you can afford, the step up between the engines is a big one in my opinion...probably why BMW step the price so significantly.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #1895
kingbadger
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 3.0D MSport

I was borderline too. Test drove a 3.0d over a weekend and 400 miles (the only demo my dealer had) but I also insisted on a short 2.0d test since that was what I was planning to buy. Very different. You may not get your 4K back, but you may get more than 4Ks worth of smiles. If you like the feel of a powerful engine, get the 3.0. If you are happy with "powerful enough to do the job well" get the 2.0.

I've still not used the power in mine (nannying it, 200miles only on the clock) but flooring the 3.0 is pretty awe inspiring. For such a big piece of metal it is unreasonably quick.

It'll also cost you more in diesel, insurance, etc etc. If you really can't afford it, you may regret the 3.0. If you can afford it you may regret the 2.0!

I guess best advice is to try both. There are a few more around today.
      06-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #1896
vojak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Hi all, sorry to mess up a thread thats talking about existing orders. Unfortunately my humble salary can't stretch to a 35d, so I'm pondering either the 2.0d or the 3.0d. From what I've read the 3.0d (and 3.5d) get metalic paint and auto as standard (but not much more). So unless I'm misreading prices, I'll have to pay a £4k uplift (over a metalic & auto 2.0d) to go from a 2.0d to 3.0d, can anyone confirm if the extra power is worth it. Will the 3.0d hold it's value as much as 2.0d, or will I lose the extra £4k over the 2 or 3 years I keep the car?
I am moving from the 535d and its a great engine, loads of torque.
Had to take the 35d out for a test drive and that did it. More power, faster acceleration (if thats your thing) that would put many sports cars to shame and good fuel economy, reasonable car tax rate etc etc.
Of course its up to you if you think its worth it.....all cars will lose money.
Cheers

Last edited by vojak; 06-08-2012 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #1897
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsey View Post
Top view is cool ...
Whats the last symbol (6th) on the second picture left side? I dont have it on 2011 X3? Just a curosity!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #1898
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
Whats the last symbol (6th) on the second picture left side? I dont have it on 2011 X3? Just a curosity!
Thats the Tow Bar view ...
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #1899
manutd123
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d SE 2012 Auto (soon)

Horsey - congrats on the car, it looks awesome, loved the bow!

I was debating the Alpine White, i actually ordered it, but had a sleepless night and emailed the dealership at 2.30 am to change to Carbon Black - i kept thinking i would struggle to keep a white car clean...

I noticed you didn't receive the IPhone cradle yet - is this the Media one? That's the one i have on order also, what's the deal with the overheating, is there a new version due out?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #1900
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutd123

I was debating the Alpine White, i actually ordered it, but had a sleepless night and emailed the dealership at 2.30 am to change to Carbon Black - i kept thinking i would struggle to keep a white car clean...

I noticed you didn't receive the IPhone cradle yet - is this the Media one? That's the one i have on order also, what's the deal with the overheating, is there a new version due out?
My father always told me that white cars hide the dirt better. Now is my chance to find out. Interestingly I was having a conversation at my local car wash and asked them what their favourite colour was ... I was really surprised when they said white ... I asked why, and they sad because they were easier to clean!

Yes, the bow is very nice.

Not sure which cradle it is, but it's the top end one for 6NR.

I only know what I read on this site ... Which isn't much. But I read that they had a hold on them as there were overheating problems...
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #1901
knp100
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsey
Quote:

My father always told me that white cars hide the dirt better. Now is my chance to find out. Interestingly I was having a conversation at my local car wash and asked them what their favourite colour was ... I was really surprised when they said white ... I asked why, and they sad because they were easier to clean!

I only know what I read on this site ... Which isn't much. But I read that they had a hold on them as there were overheating problems...
Hi horsey!

I appreciate I may be new to this, but the media related accessories (cradles, mobile app preparation etc...) are rather confusing - especially when trying figure out exactly what you are getting with each.

Having viewed your Evoque v X3 website I added the mobile app prep (6NR) and telephone USB (6NF) to my spec list.

In an earlier post above, you mention that you were expecting a cradle for your (iPhone?) when you picked up your car - is that expectation based on those two options (6NR and 6NF) OR is there another option box that needs to be ticked?

Thanks!

Ps - very nice car...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #1902
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
Quote:
I have the same question when I got mine. Originally had the 2.0 on order but upgraded to the 3.0 and don't regret it. Insurance was only 50 more and fuel economy is about the same, I get 40ish. Once you factor in the 5 - 8% dealer discount that seems to be on offer and then spread the cost over the 3 years you a looking at under a 5er a day, not allowing for a better trade in price. You know you want to, get the 3.0 and be
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #1903
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knp100
Hi horsey!

I appreciate I may be new to this, but the media related accessories (cradles, mobile app preparation etc...) are rather confusing - especially when trying figure out exactly what you are getting with each.

Having viewed your Evoque v X3 website I added the mobile app prep (6NR) and telephone USB (6NF) to my spec list.

In an earlier post above, you mention that you were expecting a cradle for your (iPhone?) when you picked up your car - is that expectation based on those two options (6NR and 6NF) OR is there another option box that needs to be ticked?

Thanks!

Ps - very nice car...
6NR is an enhanced wiring loom to the arm rest, and some extra software. To get the most out of it you will need an iPhone, although I imagine other phones will be supported in the future. The enhanced wiring loom is for the phone cradle, however you have to order the actual receptor cartridge from your dealer. This cartridge/cradle is not specifically for the iPhone or 6NR but there are many version, many of which won't support 6NR.

You can use some 6NR features with an iPhone USB lead but that will only be BMW Apps which is basically a proxy app which has to be running on your phone ... A bit naff of you ask me. Unless you like facebook and twitter ...

In my opinion the reason to get 6NR is for "Plugin" which is an apple automotive user interface which maps to some features of an apple music player and is nothing to do with BMW apps.

Last edited by Horsey; 06-11-2012 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #1904
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggy1969 View Post
I have the same question when I got mine. Originally had the 2.0 on order but upgraded to the 3.0 and don't regret it. Insurance was only 50 more and fuel economy is about the same, I get 40ish. Once you factor in the 5 - 8% dealer discount that seems to be on offer and then spread the cost over the 3 years you a looking at under a 5er a day, not allowing for a better trade in price. You know you want to, get the 3.0 and be
Can I ask the forum the APR rates that dealers are quoting them . When I paid a visit to the local dealer, his initial offer was 11% APR on BMW Select I'm seeing rates of 5.9% APR upwards from other sources. It seems an obvious tactic that the dealer quotes high APR and uses their extra finance money to fund a nominal discount on the car.

Would I be being too cheeky trying to get a 7 or 8% discount on the X3 3.0D + competitive dealer APR on the finance? Any negotiating tactics you can share would be appreciated- or are all you guys paying cash ££££ :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #1905
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Quote:
Get the biggest engine you can afford. You will NOT regret it. I learnt this the hard way in the past.
      06-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #1906
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Well it's been fun getting a new car, and aside from the issue with the HUD and a stain on the passenger seat, both of which I expect the dealer to sort out, the car has been fantastic.

It took me a couple of drives to get used to it and stop treating it like a fragile piece of fine china, but I am starting to get used to it.

I really like the start/stop and auto hold. The peace and quiet at the traffic lights is very relaxing. The car starts swiftly and is ready to go pretty much as spoon as you press the accelerator. My wife hates it ... but she's the passenger! ... I thought I would hate it, but I have really warmed to it.

I haven't really pushed it much, but it does keep surprising me every now and again ... It's going to be a monster when I can use the accelerator without break in anxiety.

Only managed about 28MPG so far, but I have only done 200 miles and I am not being that careful.

With ECO pro mileage seems to go to 60 MPG, but the car fights your foot on the accelerator ... makes my driving much more chauffeur like!

Over all I was surprised how clean white stays, until you wash it ... Then getting perfection is really hard!

Got lots of approving comments.

Wish I had got the collision warning option, but clearly the dealers don't know what the options are. Lane departure assist isn't for me, but collision warning would have been. I wonder is its a coding option on the Speed Limit Info option ... Of course, the dash buttons won't be a coding option ...

Top view is just fantastic, it makes such a difference to parking. Shame you don't get the front side view for junctions ...

The TV works really well, and my wife enjoys watching it. Keeps signal really well, was surprised how well it works. Was thinking it was going to have been the biggest pointless spend, but actually, if you code it and are a disciplined driver, it's a real boon for your passengers.

Love the HUD. Speed Limit Info is really cool. Uses Nav and the camera to work out the current speed limit. It's freaky how the indicator changes as you pass a speed sign. Nav in the HUD is also really nice. I love not having to take my eyes off the road.

Not that I need the dash much, the sport steering wheel is just a bit small for me to be able to see the whole dash top to bottom, that's a bit annoying. I have to choose between the cruise control outer dial or the trip computer bottom line ... I could moved seat closer, but I like the seat a bit further back.

One thing that's REALLY odd is the volume... Switching between TV and Radio is really bad as the volume levels are really mismatched. The TV has really low volume levels and is really quiet, and when you have the TV loud enough to hear and then switch to radio it is deafening!

Love the sun roof ... And unlike the Evoque it opens too!

So far, the only useless feature is 6NR, but that's only because I am waiting for the cradle ...

Haven't been able to try the high beam assist yet.

I have been really spoilt and I am very grateful. I love my car - Never thought I would say that about a car ...

When I get some time and the weather is better I will take pics and video of the features and post them. Given the British weather, that may be a while...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #1907
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:

I really like the start/stop and auto hold. The peace and quiet at the traffic lights is very relaxing. The car starts swiftly and is ready to go pretty much as spoon as you press the accelerator. My wife hates it ... but she's the passenger! ... I thought I would hate it, but I have really warmed to it.

The TV works really well, and my wife enjoys watching it. Keeps signal really well, was surprised how well it works. Was thinking it was going to have been the biggest pointless spend, but actually, if you code it and are a disciplined driver, it's a real boon for your passengers
Interesting comments, especially about start/stop. I personally hate it, so much so I coded the car so it defaults to off. I don't think start/stop suits automatics, works a lot better with manuals. Also not convinced the fuel savings are as great as BMW would like you to believe.

Are you planinng to code the TV? I'd be interested to know how the car holds the signal when its moving. From experience with the old analogue TV's it was a bit hit and miss.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #1908
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
Over all I was surprised how clean white stays, until you wash it ... Then getting perfection is really hard!
Enjoy . You’ve washed it already, since Wednesday? I am in the same boat - it’s a super colour, and as you say it looks clean until you have washed it, and then its an effort to get rid of the little specks here and there, but if you soak it well first, they come off more easily with not too much rubbing down.

I have wondered whether non-metallic paints lack the sort of translucent covering metallic appears to have as it certainly seems more difficult to get a perfect finish. I had mine waxed and ‘protected’ by the dealer and thought that might be the reason, but it appears not. Anyway, the appearance the rest of the time more than makes up for the extra effort, at least for the time being whilst the love affair is still on. I love mine too.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #1909
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Horsey, If you adjust your steering wheel just right, you should be able to see your entire dash without the wheel blocking parts of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 01:46 AM   #1910
knp100
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 35d

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi horsey!

Thanks!

Ps - very nice car...
6NR is an enhanced wiring loom to the arm rest, and some extra software. To get the most out of it you will need an iPhone, although I imagine other phones will be supported in the future. The enhanced wiring loom is for the phone cradle, however you have to order the actual receptor cartridge from your dealer. This cartridge/cradle is not specifically for the iPhone or 6NR but there are many version, many of which won't support 6NR.

You can use some 6NR features with an iPhone USB lead but that will only be BMW Apps which is basically a proxy app which has to be running on your phone ... A bit naff of you ask me. Unless you like facebook and twitter ...

In my opinion the reason to get 6NR is for "Plugin" which is an apple automotive user interface which maps to some features of an apple music player and is nothing to do with BMW apps.
Thanks Horsey - that certainly makes things clearer.

But now I am wondering if it is really worth it as I always envisaged transferring music to the HD and playing from there - and not be limited to always having to plug iPhone in to gain access to music.

Perhaps leaving an iPod plugged in would be a more convenient plan...but then how would that differ from HD stored music...?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 01:57 AM   #1911
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685
Interesting comments, especially about start/stop. I personally hate it, so much so I coded the car so it defaults to off. I don't think start/stop suits automatics, works a lot better with manuals. Also not convinced the fuel savings are as great as BMW would like you to believe.

Are you planinng to code the TV? I'd be interested to know how the car holds the signal when its moving. From experience with the old analogue TV's it was a bit hit and miss.
TV holds signal really well, very impressed. Seems to behave like DAB radio.

Last edited by Horsey; 06-11-2012 at 02:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 02:10 AM   #1912
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich4
Quote:
Enjoy . You've washed it already, since Wednesday? I am in the same boat - it's a super colour, and as you say it looks clean until you have washed it, and then its an effort to get rid of the little specks here and there, but if you soak it well first, they come off more easily with not too much rubbing down.

I have wondered whether non-metallic paints lack the sort of translucent covering metallic appears to have as it certainly seems more difficult to get a perfect finish. I had mine waxed and "protected" by the dealer and thought that might be the reason, but it appears not. Anyway, the appearance the rest of the time more than makes up for the extra effort, at least for the time being whilst the love affair is still on. I love mine too.
I go to my horses every weekend and so, especially with the rain, the car is never going to stay clean. This weekend it got covered in mud.

Funnily enough it didn't look too bad till after the hand wash place on the way home ... Then you notice all the bits on the sills and skirt they missed!

Got a big thumbs up from them, the loved the colour ... They do pay a bit more attention on our cars, we usually stop through on the way home after the weekend for the last 3 years, but now with white I can see where they miss loads, bit at least it gets most of the dirt off.

I can see I am going to have to find time to clean it properly myself every now and again :-(

Talking about the mud ...

I forgot to mention VDC ... it rocks!

For so long during the purchase I didn't get it, and the other option of sport or regular sort of sets the stage for the misunderstanding. I started off thinking it was a way of deferring the decision ... But it's not, it's just a better all round suspension option which gives you the best of both all the time without you having to choose. Of course, I you want hard suspension, you can do that too.

Driving on the roads, whether good is bad and round the fields was effortless. When I have broken her ini will see what happens when I push it a bit harder and see how the VDC adapts. For sure the X3 is not a 135i, you can feel that it's heavier, but you can still throw it around.

Last edited by Horsey; 06-11-2012 at 02:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 02:11 AM   #1913
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill
Horsey, If you adjust your steering wheel just right, you should be able to see your entire dash without the wheel blocking parts of it.
Been there, tried that. Can't, it's either the top or bottom, unless I change my seat position.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #1914
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Horsey - that certainly makes things clearer.

But now I am wondering if it is really worth it as I always envisaged transferring music to the HD and playing from there - and not be limited to always having to plug iPhone in to gain access to music.

Perhaps leaving an iPod plugged in would be a more convenient plan...but then how would that differ from HD stored music...?
Honestly, I think there are people on this forum who are much more expert on the music thing than me, I haven't tried much at the moment.

I am not sure under which circumstances you get control of playlists and cover art an stuff ... But I am assuming the using the Plugin iDrive option and 6NR will be the best.

Bluetooth seems to give you just the currently active playlist. Not sure if it's much better when you plug the iPod in using USB.

The other option I have seen is people plugging in a flash drive, but I assume the car has to re-read the flash drive every time the car starts which is annoying and hence copying it to the HD might be preferable.

Certainly though, I wasn't impressed with either flash or copy to HD on my wife's 3 year old version, I don't know if it's better with track names now.

Reading the forums, the one that caught my eye as are really out of the box thinking, was getting a wifi enabled iPod and leaving it permanently plugged into the car and the updating and managing it over wifi when you car was parked ... If it gets your home wifi network that is ... although I thought wireless iTunes management was only initiated if the iDevice is on power ... which is unlikely if your car is switched off ...

I can't say for sure how comprehensive music management is without 6NR, but I am assuming that the best experience is with an iDevice plugged into the media cradle ... I am not going to bother fiddling till I get my cradle, till then it's Bluetooth. Funnily enough, it's often easier just to use the iPhone itself to choose the tracks and lists and treat the car as a dumb speaker ... But it would be fun to see what the fully integrated option looks like.

Last edited by Horsey; 06-11-2012 at 02:40 AM..
Appreciate 0