BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-10-2016, 04:37 AM   #23
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
Didn't think I would say it but I don't like the F-Pace, looks too bulbous.
I completely agree. We come from the Coventry area and have seen a few around. I have never been a fan of Jags and have never had the urge to have a test drive. Anyway, I like the power of a 3 litre donkey and if you specify the larger engined F-Pace, it costs an arm and a leg.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 08-10-2016 at 04:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #24
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCat View Post
I just picked up my ordered F Pace S after having my 2011 X335i for 5 years. Always loved my bmw but was time for a change and after first learning about the F Pace at first of this year and doing a lot of research (and drooling...) I put an order in in April-with no test drive at that point and having just then seen one in the flesh for 1st time.

The Jag is amazing. In my humble opinion, it is by far the most beautiful SAV on the road now...don't get me wrong, as noted I loved my BMW, but consider this a giant step up.

I did get the fully loaded S, so not cheap, but I was comparing more to an X5 and at a similar price point, it was for me an easy decision. Performance is ridiculous. Smooth, yes more quiet in the cabin, and endless pull...and it sounds badass too... I think the Interior is dramatically more plush-yes, there is some cheap plastic in areas, but I think the same can be said for X3/X4. To my eyes, it is much more plush and refined in every way.

Yes, there may be bugs with a new model, but as an early adopter of the current X3, I suffered through countless trips to the dealer over sunroof (replaced entirely twice!) and a few other annoying issues, so kind of went into this with the mindset that as a new model, stuff may happen. Fortunately, my Jag dealer is sister dealer to my BMW dealer so I was comfortable going in that I had a good one to work with in the event anything happened. I would agree with others and miss the simplicity of the Idrive system, but the system in the jag is much more sophisticated and capable, and interface with it is not an issue after getting to know it...and the 825 watt meridian sound system is definitely a step up from the hk.

don't think you can go wrong either way-I'd recommend not going with the base model to avoid some of the plainness that comes with it, but I'm ecstatic over my choice...so far...wife loves it too, except that I've claimed our garage so I can properly admire it every evening...

Good luck with your choice...here's my new baby;
Congrats! I find the Jag to be very attractive and have seen it in a few colours the past months. It looks like a more affordable Range Rover Sport and will undoubtedly outsell the Discovery Sport which has terrible engine options.

If it was available earlier this year when I bought my X3, I would likely have considered it.

Once again, congrats and keep us posted on your experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #25
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Didn't think I would say it but I don't like the F-Pace, looks too bulbous. I always liked the Q5 but when I went to see one in the flesh I was put off straight away by the bulbous shape. The F-Pace to me seems more of a competitor to the X5 rather than the X3 it looks huge compared to the X3.

Anyway each to their own and good luck and happy motoring in your Tata F-Pace
Aside from my own opinion, I've read numerous reviews over the past few months on the F-Pace, and "bulbous" is not a term I've heard anyone mention-actually, the design has been almost universally hailed as best in class. I guess I understand what you mean, but the same could be said about most SAVs on the road today. To each his own of course, but to me, and in person, this thing is beautiful.

And as far as Tata's connection....after the near death experience that Ford took Jaguar to, I'd think anyone in UK would be ecstatic with all the attention, money, and tech focus that Tata has put into Jaguar over the last 8 years..(yes, I see you're not from UK, but..you get the point..)

On resale value-wasn't a primary issue for me as I intend to hang on to this for 5+ years (5 year/60,000 mile full service included here in US which is even better than BMW) but Jag came in very aggressive on their pricing in US, and there is already word of pretty significant price increase, so I'm not too concerned about dramatic drop in value.

I'm still a big BMW fan-may have a Z4 in my future...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 07:12 AM   #26
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

I am from the UK. I fully applaud Tata for what they have done, Ford didn't have much of a clue (such as creating the X-Type which was basically a Ford Mondeo) and without their intervention I think Jaguar wouldn't exist today. I have had 2 Freelander 2's during the Tata ownership and the second one was terrible, the Haldex unit had to be replaced twice in 12 months as well as the rear diff and other various components - all on a SUV that was less than 3 years old with less than 30,000 miles on it - this was the main reason I left the JLR brand.

I have found the X3 to be faultless and a pleasure to drive and the dealership experience has been second to none (in contrast to LR who once whilst servicing my first FL2 dented the bonnet then denied doing it and blamed me!!!)

I always lease my cars and the X3 is my 7th vehicle and I was only saying to my partner the other day that with the lease running out early next year that this is the first vehicle I have ever owned where after the 3 years I would rather keep the vehicle than give it back! (looks like I will be sitting in a LC1 X3 come March)
      08-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #27
Harroldv
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014
I am from the UK. I fully applaud Tata for what they have done, Ford didn't have much of a clue (such as creating the X-Type which was basically a Ford Mondeo) and without their intervention I think Jaguar wouldn't exist today. I have had 2 Freelander 2's during the Tata ownership and the second one was terrible, the Haldex unit had to be replaced twice in 12 months as well as the rear diff and other various components - all on a SUV that was less than 3 years old with less than 30,000 miles on it - this was the main reason I left the JLR brand.

I have found the X3 to be faultless and a pleasure to drive and the dealership experience has been second to none (in contrast to LR who once whilst servicing my first FL2 dented the bonnet then denied doing it and blamed me!!!)

I always lease my cars and the X3 is my 7th vehicle and I was only saying to my partner the other day that with the lease running out early next year that this is the first vehicle I have ever owned where after the 3 years I would rather keep the vehicle than give it back! (looks like I will be sitting in a LC1 X3 come March)
You might want to wait for the new G01 X3
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 08:40 AM   #28
sharpharp
Private
Rep
Drives: x3

100% waiting for the G01 X3.... Can't wait to see the finished product, I just hope it looks better than the current X3. I've also seen the snaps of the new X5 and the shape of that round the test track looks awesome. Either of these in M Sport trim, fingers crossed will be good.

At first the F Pace looks good from an angle, but look at it head on and it looks like an over-fed bulldog with droopy jowls. BMW all day (as long as it has the Adaptive Dampers option)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 02:57 AM   #29
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harroldv View Post
You might want to wait for the new G01 X3
I would but my lease runs out March 2017 and production of the GO1 starts April 2017 - probably won't hit UK shores until end of year I suspect, BMW dealer wont commit to knowing anything about the G01 as they want to sell what stock they have got rather than selling something that is potentially 12 months away.
      09-26-2016, 05:59 AM   #30
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Our X3 was part of the 1st batch produced back when launched in 2011, and we learned the hard way never to go for a car just released, ours is so bad that my wife is no longer convinced that X cars are BMW's.
Our dealer called it the Friday PM car produce on the 1st week of training workers in how to build cars .....
My advice to anyone here wait for a year at least, the car feels like it is glued, problems at all levels, the latest one we at our 2nd set of ABS sensors the car is only 26000 km no even miles.
it feels years part from our F10, hence we moving to F-Pace in the new year now in production for nearly a year.

I do see your side on Range rovers, I am hopping the experience is different with Jags and the fact the F-Pace is produced along the new RangeRover Sports (top range car) and the Jag XE so fare so good when reading long term reviews in a number of car magazines.

The Jag will be the nearest experience to BMW from driving feel, it is bigger in comparison to the our current X3, and far better looking! I guess for us the X3 family car and the amount of weekend trip screwed and left on the side on the road, pushed my wife to swearing she will never go for an X3, the X5 big and doll looking in comparison, but will not feel like a new car like the F pace, looks like the X3 with small additional space. Hence worth the jump, cars here are so expensive we pay on average 25% more than in the UK hence need the heart and head in.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #31
Kugaman1
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 m sport plus

I owned an Evoque previously.....

If the F Pace is anything like it, you will be saying hello to your dealer quite a lot!

Poor build quality and very poor electrics...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #32
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugaman1 View Post
I owned an Evoque previously.....

If the F Pace is anything like it, you will be saying hello to your dealer quite a lot!

Poor build quality and very poor electrics...
Yes, I think so. Many problems reported.

http://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=678
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #33
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yikes there are some issues with the F-Pace, thankfully the leasing company I use couldn't get figures anywhere near the X3 so for me if was out of the question - phew!!!!

Hopefully the GO1 won't suffer from the same teething troubles but I guess any new design will have issues hence reinforcing my desire to stick with the X3 in its current form for the next 3 years!
FSociety3812.50
      09-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #34
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

Quote:
Hopefully the GO1 won't suffer from the same teething troubles but I guess any new design will have issues hence reinforcing my desire to stick with the X3 in its current form for the next 3 years!

The G01 will unlikely be a lemon. Many of its core systems are likely already used in existing cars and have been optimised to the N'th degree. Build quality is where you might find a few irks.

Regardless of issues, they will be nothing like those suffered by F-Pace, Discovery Sport and Evoque customers - some are utterly disastrous.

If you are bored in the evening and want some laughs, read comments on Land Rover's Facebook page or visit LR forums - and don't forget the snacks
      09-27-2016, 06:01 PM   #35
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

I do see your points folks, I read 2 to 3 car magazines a week as well as forums, in our case the list of problems I see with the F Pace early batch is all well experienced 1st hand with our early X3 one of the 1st produces back in 2011.
I do believe the dealer experience is superior with BMW, but do have problems trusting another X3, the LR are mainly build in different locations, and when down to the F Pace it is build in the newest JLR factory sharing the production line with Range Rover Sport and Jag XE only soon the XE to be moved to another location. If I look at our BMW cars, we noticed straight away the big difference with the X3 the way is bolt together it is simply lower standard to all our previous BMW none X models, E60 and E90 as well as our current F10 of course!
Our endless visits to the garage with our X3 and how up to now after 5 years when driving the car at weekends, I am always checking the back windows down to wind noise, the car feels like another brand coming from my every day car F10, and for argument sake, my wife drives the X3 every day, she also often check windows are locked thinking the wind noise is so bad a window have to be open, she is being driving the car from new for the last 5 years.
The bottom line is we will never venture into a model just out regardless what brand, and do believe the X models quality are not up to the standard of the other BMW's, maybe like JLR it is down to production location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
The G01 will unlikely be a lemon. Many of its core systems are likely already used in existing cars and have been optimised to the N'th degree. Build quality is where you might find a few irks.

Regardless of issues, they will be nothing like those suffered by F-Pace, Discovery Sport and Evoque customers - some are utterly disastrous.

If you are bored in the evening and want some laughs, read comments on Land Rover's Facebook page or visit LR forums - and don't forget the snacks
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 02:04 AM   #36
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Thanks, it’s like reading our own story, I like the colour is this Jag Raving Green?

We looking for the same model the S, with options, the more we look at our options the more we pulled toward the Jag, X5 is the other option but judging by the endless issues we had with our X3, and the fact that the X5 is not that fare off looks and feel wise from our current X3, and an older car in comparison to the F-Pace, it is simply worth making the jump for a completely new experience.

How you finding the driving feel? One thing we need to do is test drive the F Pace, dealers around here are still working on this quarter quota, hence not taking order for 2017 yet, but this is fine as we rather wait, probably looking at a car produced around March/ April a year after launch, hope fully this will reduce the amount of screw ups.

Lucky you have the same company behind the Jag shop, not the case for us, and judging by many feedback the Jag LR dealer network is simply not to the standard of BMW, not surprised you can see this by just vising the show rooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCat View Post
I just picked up my ordered F Pace S after having my 2011 X335i for 5 years. Always loved my bmw but was time for a change and after first learning about the F Pace at first of this year and doing a lot of research (and drooling...) I put an order in in April-with no test drive at that point and having just then seen one in the flesh for 1st time.

The Jag is amazing. In my humble opinion, it is by far the most beautiful SAV on the road now...don't get me wrong, as noted I loved my BMW, but consider this a giant step up.

I did get the fully loaded S, so not cheap, but I was comparing more to an X5 and at a similar price point, it was for me an easy decision. Performance is ridiculous. Smooth, yes more quiet in the cabin, and endless pull...and it sounds badass too... I think the Interior is dramatically more plush-yes, there is some cheap plastic in areas, but I think the same can be said for X3/X4. To my eyes, it is much more plush and refined in every way.

Yes, there may be bugs with a new model, but as an early adopter of the current X3, I suffered through countless trips to the dealer over sunroof (replaced entirely twice!) and a few other annoying issues, so kind of went into this with the mindset that as a new model, stuff may happen. Fortunately, my Jag dealer is sister dealer to my BMW dealer so I was comfortable going in that I had a good one to work with in the event anything happened. I would agree with others and miss the simplicity of the Idrive system, but the system in the jag is much more sophisticated and capable, and interface with it is not an issue after getting to know it...and the 825 watt meridian sound system is definitely a step up from the hk.

don't think you can go wrong either way-I'd recommend not going with the base model to avoid some of the plainness that comes with it, but I'm ecstatic over my choice...so far...wife loves it too, except that I've claimed our garage so I can properly admire it every evening...

Good luck with your choice...here's my new baby;

Last edited by martin mustang; 09-28-2016 at 02:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 03:51 AM   #37
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
I had 2 Freelander 2's prior to the X3 - needless to say I was a frequent poster on the LR forums....
      09-28-2016, 08:04 AM   #38
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Not as bad as our X3 with only 26000 km not even miles:

Transmission problem fixed after few software update.
Windows open with a bang the rubber seal is glued to the glass, wakes the kids a sleep in the back! No lubricant or visit to the dealer resolved this mystery.
The driver side speaker randomly goes off dealer told us they change it, not sure since the issue is still happening (3 visits we give up on this).
The climate needed a complete change over after a number of attempt to resolve a constant blow of hot air regardless of the temperature set on the passenger side, we still avoid it when possible as far as I am concerned temperatures are all over the place.
The alloys needed all replacement following corrosion around the BMW logo, thank god BMW did the job for free after the 3 year warranty expired! But oh no the corrosion is coming back in this new set.
Revers light fault message come up, but when I check the lights all fine, and no message on the idrive, the only explanation for that was the fact that I just closed the boot/trunk somehow disturbed the rear light, pure crazy crap if this is the case.
A year ago we got stranded 200 miles away from home, ABS sensor failure, 6 month later the same problem with a different wheel sensor a 2nd replacement.
The panoramic roof inside cover broke couple of times
Condensation inside the car every morning is proof that this car is sub substandard when down to insulation, it a complete disaster in comparison to our F10.

So with the list above, I believe the move to a Jag will be improvement from our side.
Anyway I am sure it was down to 1st batch of X3’s, hence expect the same with BMW X cars when down to new models, and more or less these days the same with all brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Yes, I think so. Many problems reported.

http://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=678
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #39
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
If I look at our BMW cars, we noticed straight away the big difference with the X3 the way is bolt together it is simply lower standard to all our previous BMW none X models, E60 and E90 as well as our current F10 of course!
Sorry to hear you experienced multiple problems with your 2011 X3.

In contrast, my first year with a 2016 X3 35i has been trouble-free. In my opinion, the fit and finish, comfort, performance and ride quality of my X3 have been generally comparable to my 2010 E61 535i. My wife, whether driving or riding as a passenger, and adult daughters when riding as passengers report they prefer my X3 to my 535i wagon.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #40
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

And the new Alpha Romeo Stelvio looks like it could be good competition too for the X3, including up to the X3 M model with their Quadrifoglio...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/16/1...ow-2016-photos
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 04:14 AM   #41
Kugaman1
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 m sport plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
And the new Alpha Romeo Stelvio looks like it could be good competition too for the X3, including up to the X3 M model with their Quadrifoglio...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/16/1...ow-2016-photos

Wow, that is nice!

Mind you, if you are concerned about Jag quality/reliability........

Alfa Romeo
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 05:29 AM   #42
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugaman1 View Post
Wow, that is nice!

Mind you, if you are concerned about Jag quality/reliability........

Alfa Romeo
From my point of view the jury is out with regards to looks.

As far as reliability goes.....as you say

In the UK they are bottom of the wish list for any punter. They are considered the worst for depreciation and for electrics at least in my age group.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 11:18 AM   #43
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

2017 Jaguar F-Pace: Don’t Buy Current Model!

http://dailysunknoxville.com/2017-ja...odel/920013847
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #44
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Haven't been here in a while but a slow Wednesday....see this post is still alive, just thought I'd update on my experience...after 4 months and ~5600 miles, the F-Pace simply brings an ear-to-ear grin every time I get behind the wheel-personally, it is night and day diff vs my '11 X335i. The dynamics, with adaptive dampeners, is just smooth and effortless. I am no driving pro, but the power on tap has always to me seemed better-and I loved my X3 for over 75,000 miles. The design, well, to each their own, but it's getting damn near annoying the paparazzi this thing attracts...

Quality on mine has been fine. Going in next week for update on the computer system, which will be the 1st time in the shop...which is about 5 less times than my X3 had at this point.

To the one poster, yes, mine is British Racing Green in the S model.

Good luck, all, and Happy holidays-

Dan
Appreciate 0