BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-25-2020, 04:46 PM   #1
Taoster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 n20

How much did you pay to replace the timing chain?

I didn't want to hijack the thread about n20 lawsuit so i created my own.
I've been hearing a loose/rattling sound in my motor for a LONG time... like.. over 1 year long. Didn't think much of it. I got a job at a automotive company that owns dealerships including a BMW dealership so i finally brought my car in to get the sound diagnosed. Shop foreman says my timing chain is loose and he is recommending it to be replaced as well as the guides.
I understand there is a lawsuit in progress and hopefully we get an official decision on 8/3 at 1:30pm..

Now my question is... for those who paid out of pocket, how much did you pay for the timing chain and guide replacement? (From either dealership or local shop)

I was quoted $6300 from the BMW dealership..

Of course i'd rather pay less at a local shop, but the dealership offers a loaner vehicle and i believe the warranty and quality of work, parts, and cleanliness is much better at a dealership. But if we are talking about $1500+ less at a local shop, i'm sending her there. Please let me know. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoster View Post
I've been hearing a loose/rattling sound in my motor for a LONG time... like.. over 1 year long. Didn't think much of it. I got a job at a automotive company that owns dealerships including a BMW dealership so i finally brought my car in to get the sound diagnosed. Shop foreman says my timing chain is loose and he is recommending it to be replaced as well as the guides.
I understand there is a lawsuit in progress and hopefully we get an official decision on 8/3 at 1:30pm..

Now my question is... for those who paid out of pocket, how much did you pay for the timing chain and guide replacement? (From either dealership or local shop)

Of course i'd rather pay less at a local shop, but the dealership offers a loaner vehicle and i believe the warranty and quality of work, parts, and cleanliness is much better at a dealership. But if we are talking about $1500+ less at a local shop, i'm sending her there. Please let me know. Thanks!
I can't help you directly with your question as I have a 35i but just wanted to say that until you get it replaced, drive is very easy...no high revs, no quick starts cause if in fact the diagnosis is correct, you could really do some damage. Its the plastic guide that breaks and depending on how it breaks will depend on how long your chain will stay put. Sorry if you already know this, just didn't want to see it get worse.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 06:10 PM   #3
Taoster
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I can't help you directly with your question as I have a 35i but just wanted to say that until you get it replaced, drive is very easy...no high revs, no quick starts cause if in fact the diagnosis is correct, you could really do some damage. Its the plastic guide that breaks and depending on how it breaks will depend on how long your chain will stay put. Sorry if you already know this, just didn't want to see it get worse.
the engine has been making this sound since i bought it maybe 2 years ago. I ALWAYS turn off the automatic start and stop button since i believe that is a huge factor. I baby the car most of the time. I do have a motorcycle that i wouldnt mind riding to work everyday, but when rainly season comes, i'd much rather be in a car.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 07:19 PM   #4
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoster View Post

What year is your X3?
How many miles?
If it's paid off, maybe sell and get a newer car?
      07-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #5
Taoster
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post
What year is your X3?
How many miles?
If it's paid off, maybe sell and get a newer car?

2013 92,3XX miles. It is paid off, but I don't want the karma of selling a car to someone that i know is about to crap out. And i'm sure if i try to trade it in they will bring up the timing chain issue and offer me $2000 at most for my car. I'm really hoping the timing chain lawsuit will kick in and raise the warranty to 10 years and 150k miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
ExGMan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530ex

The settlement terms for the Class Action N20/N26 lawsuit are scheduled to be announced in US District Court in NJ on 8/3/2020 @ 130pm. That date could change, however.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 05:49 PM   #7
Iowa X3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

If it's anything like other class action resolutions and settlements I've been a part of, all of you 2013 N20 owners can expect a check for about $9.00 to be delivered in 6 years or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #8
AX3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

I had my timing chain replaced with other components back in Feb. on my 2014 X3 with 73,000 mi. I went to an independent garage to have my oil changed and they told me and showed me that my timing chain was about to skip a tooth or break. There was so much slack in it. They told me that the dealer where I had my oil changed before should have caught it but they did not. So I told them to replace it since they had experience replacing others. As they started the job I remembered that I had an aftermarket insurance policy. The ins. co. was supposed to cover the job but they fought me over it. After a long battle I settled for partial payment. I was lucky that the engine didn't blow up and leave me stranded somewhere. Needless to say I am not happy with BMW.
If there is a law suit settlement I would like to participate in it.
I will never buy a BMW again.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #9
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX3 View Post
As they started the job I remembered that I had an aftermarket insurance policy. The ins. co. was supposed to cover the job but they fought me over it. After a long battle I settled for partial payment. I was lucky that the engine didn't blow up and leave me stranded somewhere.
what company did you go with for your ext. warranty?
Appreciate 0