BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: none

How to store a navigation destination in memory keys

I've tried to store a navigation destination in memory keys but all it does when recalled is only opening the naviation screen without any destination.

so:

1-what's the exact way to store a navigation destination in memory keys ?
2-can it start the guidance at te same time?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr_1304 View Post
I've tried to store a navigation destination in memory keys but all it does when recalled is only opening the naviation screen without any destination.

so:

I don't think you can I'm afraid. You can only replace a "system" menu entry so for example you can set a memory key to "Start Guidance" but you can't use it for the content of menus you have saved (like last destinations)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
ChessToon
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mini Countryman 2.0SD All4 Aut

Preset Keys

Hi, you can defo programme the keys with destinations. I currently have 3 programmed. Unfortunately I'm away from home at mo and can't remember the sequence. I will repost on Monday with instructions. Cheers
Harmon Kardon Speaker Upgrade.
TLC
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 02:36 AM   #4
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
News to me.. why would that be useful, maybe I'm not understanding.

I always just send my destinations directly from googlemaps to the car
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
vojak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr_1304 View Post

so:

I think the way to do it is to send to the vehicle first using Google maps. Then open mail item and select to go to it in navigation by selecting that option. Once the destination is 'live' press one of the 1-8 preset buttons on the head unit and hold it there for several seconsd until the destination is remembered.

I'm away from the car at the moment but I'm pretty sure thats one way of doing it. I had the same problem as you encountered when I first got the car and remember thinking that it seemed a strange way of getting it as a preset.

I find its useful to at least have 'home' in one slot...
Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm intrigued. Will try this out. Thanks for posting. I want a "home" shortcut so will try to set this up later

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

It's very easy. Try this method.

You can pick up a destination easily from Last Destinations. Go to last destinations and select the destination you want to store into key, you will see a green rectangle on the selected destination. Next hold the desired programmable key for two seconds and all done.

With this setting, you can now easily go to the pre-selected destination on NAV from any screen, you need not be on NAV screen.

I set key #8 for Home, its the last key in the row and doesn't interfere with other keys and easy to remember as Final Destination is Home this or that.

Last edited by April1; 09-30-2012 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
It's very easy. Try this method.

You can pick up a destination easily from Last Destinations. Go to last destinations and select the destination you want to store into key, you will see a green rectangle on the selected destination. Next hold the desired programmable key for two seconds and all done.

With this setting, you can now easily go to the pre-selected destination on NAV from any screen, you need not be on NAV screen.

I set key #8 for Home, its the last key in the row and doesn't interfere with other keys and easy to remember as Final Destination is Home this or that.
Can't believe I haven't realised this sooner and I've been bemoaning the absence of a home button for nav.

Thanks for the info

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Can't believe I haven't realised this sooner and I've been bemoaning the absence of a home button for nav.

Thanks for the info
I can't check at the moment, but I think there is a way to store your home address in the nav- BUT the dealership recommended not to. If your keys are stolen while away from home, the thief could set the nav to your house and raid that as well. The dealer did setup one of the memory buttons to my home postcode, but I accidently deleted it. I'll setup again soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
I can't check at the moment, but I think there is a way to store your home address in the nav- BUT the dealership recommended not to. If your keys are stolen while away from home, the thief could set the nav to your house and raid that as well. The dealer did setup one of the memory buttons to my home postcode, but I accidently deleted it. I'll setup again soon.
Yep, you can store specific destinations as favourites as above.

True, but you can call it something else other than home (mine isn't called home) and the thief may also be able to determine a likely "home" from your last destinations list combined with the dealership name on number plates / stickers if they wanted to.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Yep, you can store specific destinations as favourites as above.

True, but you can call it something else other than home (mine isn't called home) and the thief may also be able to determine a likely "home" from your last destinations list combined with the dealership name on number plates / stickers if they wanted to.
TRUE, can you send me your postcode and I'll enter it into my satnav, I live in Berks. The thief will go to your address instead of mine..... Sunday Night Joke
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
TRUE, can you send me your postcode and I'll enter it into my satnav, I live in Berks. The thief will go to your address instead of mine..... Sunday Night Joke
I've entered the local police station's post code and labelled it HOME

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

On a serious note, you know exactly where you live so you could potentially use a slightly different post code that is about 1/4 mile from your actual house. That way, 99% of the directions are still correct and you'd still get the ETA benefit etc but without the security risk. Call it CLOSE TO HOME

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #14
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

One of the ways to hide the home address from the eyes of not so smart thief is to pickup GPS coordinates of a nearby location but far away from the range of garage sensor and use that as a home destination. 1/4 mile is a safe distance.
Appreciate 0