BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #23
capnmorganxx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i

I've got the base rack support on my '12 F25 M-Sport. Bought it off ebay brand new ($175 or so), they still have that deal.

I love how easy it attaches compared to my '11 explorer limited that I had before this. You can pop them on and off in about 5 minutes.

I use mine with a Thule snowboard rack. I use the snowboard rack with wakeboards and kneeboards in the summer, and snowboards in the winter. It takes the gas mileage down to about 21mpg at 70mph with a kneeboard or pair of wakeboards on the roof.

Since you can pop the base support on and off, it works a lot better to make the highway trip with the base support in the trunk/in the boat, then pop on the base support around town/short distances.

Very little 'whistling' by the way when you have a snowboard/wakeboard on top. I wish you could use a Thule fairing to increase aerodynamics.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 04:13 PM   #24
j1787
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I know this is very old but if anyone is out there, I have a question. I have the same model roof rack. The lock mechanism pulls down and then turns to tighten. How tight does this need to be? Currently, I’m tightening it just enough to move it to the locked position with just a bit of force. Is this okay?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 08:14 PM   #25
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1787 View Post
I know this is very old but if anyone is out there, I have a question. I have the same model roof rack. The lock mechanism pulls down and then turns to tighten. How tight does this need to be? Currently, I’m tightening it just enough to move it to the locked position with just a bit of force. Is this okay?
sounds good; you just want the cross bars snug on the roof rails so they cannot move, don't overdo it.
Appreciate 0