BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-13-2024, 01:55 PM   #5875
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by crAbb View Post
My cousin in Germany told me a couple of days ago, all EVs are now banned from the basement parking where he lives. The revolution is happening.
Yeah , hopefully . I heard it too

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 5
M5Rick60876.50
crAbb1229.50
eugenebmw1552.00
      01-13-2024, 02:00 PM   #5876
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
'Almost impossible to sell used electric vehicles': EVs make up less than 2% of used car sales across European countries
A report by independent European outlet Euractiv explained that the largest electric vehicle markets in the European Union have not seen anywhere near the expected numbers for a secondhand, used-car market.

In Germany, which has the most electric vehicles on the continent, used EVs only make up 1.58% of new ownership registrations as of November 2023. This is an increase over 1.23% in 2022.

The figure comes from a group representing German car dealers (ZDK), while other industry groups from Italian and Spanish markets reportedly place their used EV registration rates at less than 1%.

Friedrich Trosse, the general secretary of AECDR, a trade association of European car dealers, said that gas-powered vehicles are the safer option in the eyes of the consumer.

"The situation everywhere in Europe is pretty much the same. To say it very clearly, it’s almost impossible to sell used electric vehicles,” Trosse claimed. The car dealer representative also tacked on to the issue of electric cars being too expensive.

"Specifically the small cars, if they exist, are incredibly expensive, much more expensive than their [internal combustion engine] alternative."
There is a "lack of trustful and aligned data" said Philippe Vangeel, AVERE secretary general.
Vangeel noted that there should be an increase of electric vehicle purchases in Europe when governments force consumers' hand through low-emission zones.

“Many people want the government to protect the consumer. A much more urgent problem is to protect the consumer from the government.”
― Milton Friedman
Appreciate 4
      01-13-2024, 02:12 PM   #5877
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]

Appreciate 7
M5Rick60876.50
Efthreeoh17385.50
TboneS541053.00
eugenebmw1552.00
      01-13-2024, 02:25 PM   #5878
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Yeah , hopefully . I heard it too
The other factor is the view insurers take on EVs. If they're being banned from buildings, what's next? Banned from ferries? Beginning to look risky. Something insurers don't like...
Appreciate 3
      01-13-2024, 03:11 PM   #5879
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
'Almost impossible to sell used electric vehicles': EVs make up less than 2% of used car sales across European countries
A report by independent European outlet Euractiv explained that the largest electric vehicle markets in the European Union have not seen anywhere near the expected numbers for a secondhand, used-car market.

In Germany, which has the most electric vehicles on the continent, used EVs only make up 1.58% of new ownership registrations as of November 2023. This is an increase over 1.23% in 2022.

The figure comes from a group representing German car dealers (ZDK), while other industry groups from Italian and Spanish markets reportedly place their used EV registration rates at less than 1%.

Friedrich Trosse, the general secretary of AECDR, a trade association of European car dealers, said that gas-powered vehicles are the safer option in the eyes of the consumer.

"The situation everywhere in Europe is pretty much the same. To say it very clearly, it’s almost impossible to sell used electric vehicles,” Trosse claimed. The car dealer representative also tacked on to the issue of electric cars being too expensive.

"Specifically the small cars, if they exist, are incredibly expensive, much more expensive than their [internal combustion engine] alternative."
There is a "lack of trustful and aligned data" said Philippe Vangeel, AVERE secretary general.
Vangeel noted that there should be an increase of electric vehicle purchases in Europe when governments force consumers' hand through low-emission zones.

“Many people want the government to protect the consumer. A much more urgent problem is to protect the consumer from the government.”
― Milton Friedman
As was said before if you buy one that had an issue, like a bump on the battery before or has been in flood water and survived then it could be just a matter of time before disaster and well said by Friedman relating to the loonies running the country.
Appreciate 4
      01-13-2024, 04:07 PM   #5880
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:

The breakdown van has to get to the broken T, would be a Laurel and Hardy scene if it was an EV and broke down before it got there heheh
Appreciate 4
TboneS541053.00
Efthreeoh17385.50
eugenebmw1552.00
      01-13-2024, 10:17 PM   #5881
scsfll
SCSFLL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550I /2019 X5 Premium

Garage List
TESLA

Class action and antitrust/price-fixing lawsuits coming
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 12:08 AM   #5882
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
My cousin in Germany told me a couple of days ago, all EVs are now banned from the basement parking where he lives. The revolution is happening.
Hertz going back to gas

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/01/11/b...ing/index.html
Appreciate 3
crAbb1229.50
eugenebmw1552.00
      01-14-2024, 12:37 AM   #5883
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
I haven’t read every post in this thread, but this is by far one of the best I have read and I haven’t seen or read another one in this thread that addresses the India factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
Not to mention that mining of lithium is mostly done in Australia, and the guys down under say that even with their best efforts to increase the supply of Lithium in the coming decade they will not be even close to meet the projected demand. Even with their maximum effort of expanding existing mines and opening new ones, there will not be enough Lithium to produce the batteries needed to power even 10% of all cars in the world in 10 years. The same goes for Chile which is the second largest miner of Lithium.

Furthermore, an elephant in the room is India. The biggest population in the world and fastest growing economy in the world. They will need hundreds of millions of cars in this century and they can only afford ICE cars and fossil fuels/nuclear to meet their fast growing energy needs. They will not bother with expensive green energy as they cannot afford it for at least 2 or 3 decades. Indians want a better life for them and their children, and no one can force them to limit their growth for the sake of ecology. With hundreds of millions of new ICE cars driving in India in this century, anyone thinking that EVs being driven in developed countries will make any difference in reducing.global emmissions is delusional. West should be investing heavily in nuclear energy and development of even cleaner and more efficient ICE engines instead of killing their car manufacturers by forcefully pushing them to manufacture EVs that need expensive imported parts and raw materials produced and processed in China or other countries half a globe away. (Which also increases pollution in China and other mining countries even further. But conveniently, we are not bothered much about that).

Already today we have diesel engines in BMWs (and other cars too) that meet Euro6D emission standard. These engines are equipped with EGRs and DPFs that eliminate so much NOx and other fine particles from the exhaust that the air coming out of the car is cleaner than the air being sucked into the engine in most German cities most of.the year. On top of that, CO2 levels for diesels are very low, especially relative to the engine load(in other words- compared to the car's speed). The most efficient engine to move cars on highway speeds by far is diesel. (especially in Europe when 150-160km/h(100mph) is perfectly normal crusing speed on most highways. EVs, on the other hand, are significantly less efficient as the speed increases. Their range drops drastically when driving above 120km/h. They spend much much more energy per travelled kilometer than diesel engines on highway speeds. And all of that additional energy EVs are spending on highways is rarely mentioned when talking about environmental impacts of EVs.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-14-2024, 04:27 AM   #5884
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep

London EV bus on fire....

https://www.cityam.com/electric-bus-...-TL7Ar7zL67oGk
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60876.50
eugenebmw1552.00
      01-14-2024, 05:58 AM   #5885
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:

Appreciate 2
      01-14-2024, 06:07 AM   #5886
Condorll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
I am not surprised, Hertz has been screwing EV rental customers to make up for their losses. I rented a Model Y, showed 83% charge on my way out, returned it with 67% charge. I drove only 19 miles. 16% battery for only 19 miles? It get worse, upon checkin my invoice claimed the car was at 100% charge and returned at 67%. So, 33% battery for 19 miles? Yup they charged me a $35 charging fee. Called customer service when I got back home and it was like talking to a brick wall. No movement on the charges and absolutely no logic from the customer service rep. NEVER RENT ANY VEHICLE FROM HERTZ, EV OR ICE.
Appreciate 3
KRS_SN13655.00
crAbb1229.50
eugenebmw1552.00
      01-14-2024, 06:38 AM   #5887
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I haven’t read every post in this thread, but this is by far one of the best I have read and I haven’t seen or read another one in this thread that addresses the India factor.
Yes that is mostly true. India and China will always be huge polluters and massive consumers of resources. What is missing here is that this was never about saving the planet. It has never been about raising the developing countries living standards but it is about tearing down America's standards. American freedoms and capitalism have created the most prosperous and opportune economy in the history of the world. People from all over the world have made their way here legality and found safety, wealth opportunity, religious freedom and a rule of law they never experienced in their home country. That is repugnant to global elites and current generations who have been raised to hate America and American Exceptionalism. This has never been about saving the planet or scientific facts would not be ignored, technologies would not be promoted that harm the planet while other technologies that will work are ignored or worse lied about. The green morons are nothing more than useful idiots in a game they will never understand until it is too late.
Our current open boarders crisis has never been about saving the oppressed, it has been about oppressing and destroying the middle class in America. It ignores human trafficking, drug importation, crime and the obvious threat of terrorism, it is about lowing the standard of living in America.
We are still Ronald Reagan's "Shinning light on the Hill" but just barely.

You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:14-16

Last edited by Car-Addicted; 01-14-2024 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 11
M5Rick60876.50
ASAP10199.50
KRS_SN13655.00
crAbb1229.50
Efthreeoh17385.50
3798j11552.50
TboneS541053.00
eugenebmw1552.00
      01-14-2024, 07:46 AM   #5888
M5Rick
General
Rep

^ Well said.
Appreciate 2
      01-14-2024, 08:01 AM   #5889
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

So the province of Alberta is experiencing winter right now. The previous government fully embraced "green energy" alternatives, solar and wind. Given the current weather 93% of their electricity is being produced by burning LNG.

The Federal government has mandated no more ICE after 2035, and want to get away from oil & gas and move to heat pumps for home heating.

Yesterday in Alberta an emergency alert was put out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
M5Rick60876.50
inTgr8r2433.50
eugenebmw1552.00
      01-14-2024, 08:02 AM   #5890
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep

Quote:
Yes that is mostly true. India and China will always be huge polluters and massive consumers of resources. What is missing here is that this was never about saving the planet. It has never been about raising the developing countries living standards but it is about tearing down America's standards. American freedoms and capitalism have created the most prosperous and opportune economy in the history of the world. People from all over the world have made their way here legality and found safety, wealth opportunity, religious freedom and a rule of law they never experienced in their home country. That is repugnant to global elites and current generations who have been raised to hate America and American Exceptionalism. This has never been about saving the planet or scientific facts would not be ignored, technologies would not be promoted that harm the planet while other technologies that will work are ignored or worse lied about. The green morons are nothing more than useful idiots in a game they will never understand until it is too late.
Our current open boarders crisis has never been about saving the oppressed, it has been about oppressing and destroying the middle class in America. It ignores human trafficking, drug importation, crime and the obvious threat of terrorism, it is about lowing the standard of living in America.

You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5:14-16

This moved me to tears. Where did we go so wrong?
Appreciate 5
      01-14-2024, 08:17 AM   #5891
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
So the province of Alberta is experiencing winter right now. The previous government fully embraced "green energy" alternatives, solar and wind. Given the current weather 93% of their electricity is being produced by burning LNG.

The Federal government has mandated no more ICE after 2035, and want to get away from oil & gas and move to heat pumps for home heating.

Think typos are a factor of the Gov't dweeb typing the text fingers freezing up?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 4
M5Rick60876.50
eugenebmw1552.00
      01-14-2024, 11:08 AM   #5892
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post

In laymans terms if the system overloads then ppl can and will freeze in their homes as central heating pumps stop working. Way I see it is EV chargers could well overload the system.
Appreciate 4
      01-14-2024, 11:42 AM   #5893
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:

You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on [...]
Wow I sure hope someone can stop all these bad people from destroying America! What an insidious plot this is!
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1552.00
      01-14-2024, 11:43 AM   #5894
Condorll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

>The Federal government has mandated no more ICE after 2035, and want to get away from oil & gas and move to heat pumps for home heating.<

Stop voting for clowns
Appreciate 6
M5Rick60876.50
eugenebmw1552.00
Efthreeoh17385.50
      01-14-2024, 11:51 AM   #5895
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Wow I sure hope someone can stop all these bad people from destroying America! What an insidious plot this is!
We are and will.
      01-14-2024, 12:18 PM   #5896
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
From the Brits forum. Those guys are funny and they’ve never heard of “politically correct “.
I love this EV, I will take it any day
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60876.50