BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast, very very fast...

Goodyear POS Eagles

I'm going to rant for a second. I'm wondering if I'm alone in this sinking boat or if anyone else is going down with me here.
Long story as short as possible.
Picked up '13 X3 28i in May last year. Came with the eagle ls2 tires. Drove on them till november when I put on winter rim/ tire set. Put the OEMs back on a couple weeks ago. One of the tires has a golf ball sixed bulge in the sidewall. Did not purchase the wheel/ tire warranty when we got the car because it was not offered. The tires are covered by goodyears warranty because they are less than a year old. The problem is that BMWNA has mandated that stealerships not get involved with tire warranties and that we as customers must deal with tire manufacturers ourselves. I called BMWNA and this is what I was told. Fine, whatever. Bigger problem is that now because these tires are crap, they are being replaced all over the country and are on a national backorder. The soonest they can get me one will be in July. I am not driving the car now because it is unsafe to drive. Good year was going to replace all four tires with the dunlop sports, but they are also on back order. My ONLY recourse is to take the car to the stealership and purchase new tires from them (they have Pirelli's in stock) and then goodyear will reimburse me.
What the shit?! This is a brand new vehicle that I payed over 50k for. BMW is supposed to be all about customer service and they won't even deal with this at all. When I first noticed the bulge I called the dealership and they said to bring it in and they will look at it and see what's up. I did and they said ya, it has a bulge. No shit. Then they called me and said they are not allowed to deal with tire manufacturers and they wouldn't even call them to verify that the tire was shot. BMW is an authorized Goodyear dealer because they put those tires on their cars. This could have been fixed immediately if BMW was willing to play ball. All they have to do is inspect the tire, off of the rim, and call Goodyear and get approval to replace the tires and they will get reimbursed, but they won't even do that! Seriously, I love BMWs, but this has me seriously put off. This is my wifes car and were seriously thinking of getting rid of it and maybe getting a Merc instead.
Sorry for the long rant. Anyone else have anything like this happen to them?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

They tell you that they don't deal with tire warranties flat out, because they want you to just cough up and pay for a new tire. Look up the Run Flat issues we've written about on bimmerpost.

Also if you weren't aware yet, there is a road hazard warranty FREE for one year from the tire manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

I am aware of the warranty from the manufacturer. The problem I have is BMWs unwillingness to deal with the warranty from the manufacturer or even dealing with the manufacturer at all to even verify with them that the tire is shot! They would get paid for their tires by the Goodyear anyway so they get their money regardless. So why is proper customer service being thrown away for no benefit? That's what I don't get. At the end of the day they will be paid for their tires, their only choice is to end up with a happy or unhappy customer. Just seems pretty dumb to me when the only impact they will see is negative by pissing off customers. In this instance it makes even less sense. Goodyear is being outstanding here. They are willing to completely pay for a whole new set of tires that they don't even make just because they can't get one tire here. This dealership would also benefit from that because I don't think new sets of Pirellis are flying off their walls. It would definitely behoove them to take care of this, but instead they leave me, the customer, stuck in the middle with a car I can't drive and no replacement tire available anywhere. I'm so fed up with it.

Last edited by JLed79; 05-07-2013 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

you can have these on your doorstep in 2-3 days:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e&autoModClar=

We got 32k out of our GY LS2s. Not the best tire but they held up ok. I recently plugged a hole in one of them too. I think these new Potenza's sound like a pretty good alternative. My BMW dealer said they'd mount them for $20 a corner.

Also, for what it's worth, tire rack has the LS2s in stock (at least for the 35i sizes) and could also be at your door in a couple days:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....i&autoModClar=
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. The problem is that I have to get the tire inspected first so GY can approve the replacement. I live quite a ways from anywhere and don't really want to drive the car in, have the tire taken off to be inspected and then put it back on and then drive home and order tires. It's just not safe to drive.
I will get all that figured out though.
That is neither here nor there. The reason for my post is just my disgust with BMW over this whole thing. I thought customer service was supposed to be at the forefront for them. Maybe it's just me, but I find it absolutely appaling that they are basically saying we are on our own. What ever happened to backing your product? If GYs or whatever brand is being put on the car it's because BMW wants them on the car. So back up the decision that led them to choosing that manufacturere in the first place! We as the CUSTOMER should NOT be held responsible for this. They sold me the car as it was, tires and all. So buck up and provide some damn customer service! Maybe they should deliver cars with no tires on them and give us an allowance worked into the price of the car to go get whatever tires we want because they obviously don't give a shit.
Sorry, I'm a little frustrated.

Last edited by JLed79; 05-07-2013 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

I've had nothing but bad luck with Goodyear tires. But perhaps the worst tire I've ever owned was the OEM Dunlop run flats on my wife's E60. I've have the Bridgestone Dueler's on the X3 and have been problem free for last 31K miles. I think I'll easily get over 40K on them. I've been so impressed with them I just replaced the Dunlops with Bridgestone A/S run flats on the E60. So far, so good. Huge improvement.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
herbw01
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Garage List
2013 BMW X3 35i  [7.00]
JLed79-So sorry to hear about your problems with the tires and the lack of interest by BMW dealership and BMW corporate to take care of this. I am also quite worried with my new purchase of the 2013 X3 35i with 19 inch Good Years. I knew about the Good Year warranty but going through them and not taking a chance I did go to my friendly Discount Tire shop and bought four certificates for around $30 each (discounted) normally runs about $39/each. This way if something happens they will replace it with whatever I want no questions asked. I think we need to make people aware what they are getting into when purchasing a BMW with (RFT Tires). When it will hurt them in their pocket book then maybe they may listen. Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

I agree with your sentiments completely. There would be no problem if not for BMWs ill advised decision to bet heavily on run-flat tires. They need to take responsibility for that, and all its consequences.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the responses and well wishes. I don't know what I expected posting this here. There is no good fix, unless the CEO of BMWNA happens to be reading this lol.
I do agree that prospective buyers of these cars should be made aware of these potential issues.
I have never been a fan of GY tires. I have the Bridgies on my X5. Besides wearing out way too quickly and being loud, they aren't a horrible tire.
I was going to replace them with non RFT Nitto Invos (I have the spare kit in my X5), but have instead decided to trade it in on an E90 M3. I am pretty sure that once this tire FUBAR gets fixed, the X3 will be replaced with something else too.
It's just a shame. BMW is a great car maker, but to let this kind of nonsense be SOP just flabbergasts me.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
pmacd55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [0.00]
2011 328 xi  [0.00]
I agree with everything said on this thread. In my pre-BMW days I always ran Michelins or Pirellis and loved them. My 2009 E83 had Scorpions that were the best tire I ever had. I was disappointed when I picked up my new F25 MSport and saw Goodyear, a step down for sure but still love the car.

That being said and being familiar with "big corporate decisions" my guess is like it or not RFTs are here to stay. Hopefully the technolgy will improve quickly.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
herbw01
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X3 35i  [7.00]
Just wanted to chime in again on this topic. It is a shame that you buy a $50-$60K vehicle and have to worry about tire problems so early on. Nothing wrong with moving with times and technology but BMW need not experiment on the folks that buy these expensive cars. They need to stand behind everthing that they install or put on these cars for a period of time for manufacturing defect. I am not talking about wear and tear on the tires. But yes if the tire develops a bubble or goes out for no obvious reason after 2K to 3K miles. Before they put on their BMW emblem on it they need to make sure that the quality has gone in 100 percent before it is released to the buyer. If this problem with RFT's persist then there may be another class action suite like what happened in the past against Good Year or maybe even BMW itself. Hope they take responsibilty and fix the obvious problems from the corporate down to the local dealerships!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Agreed. This is such a PITA. I'm still dealing with it. BMW wanted me to pay up front for replacement pirellis. GY says no way don't do it. Now they want to buy some themselves from tire rack and have me pay a pro rated amount based on tread wear. I shouldn't have to pay a dime. How can I be held a countable when they don't have the direct replacement available?
That's neither here not there though. The bigger issue is BMWs customer non service. I will never buy a new BMW again and any car I get will not have GYs on it. Period.

Last edited by JLed79; 05-08-2013 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update.
I told GY to shove it and I was not paying a dime for tires as I cannot be held responsible for them not having any replacement tires available anywhere. They are giving me a set of Pirellis free. That's good news at least. No more GYs and I didnt have to pay for them.
This entire ordeal has left nothing but a bad taste in my mouth for BMW as a brand though. Their obtuse stance on this whole matter is just disgusting.
I still live M cars and I will still get one, but not new and no GYs again ever on any vehicle.
The BMW corporation will never get a penny of my money again though. That fact is really sad, because I do love the cars. It's just such a shame that it had to turn out like this.
I guess the moral of the story is buyer beware. Even at this price point, excellence in customer service is not guaranteed. I would also advise prospective new car buyers to absolutely ask for and get the tire/ wheel protection and refuse delivery if it has GYs on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
herbw01
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X3 35i  [7.00]
JLed79-It is good that they are giving you new Pirellis.
But I like your idea of letting other perspective buyers to be aware of the
GOOD YEAR BRAND -RUN FLAT TIRES and the problems associated with them.

Don't buy your BMW if these tires are on your new vehicle-Refuse the delivery!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #15
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Exactly, but aside from posting a link to this thread at every dealership I don't think it's possible lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbw01 View Post
JLed79-It is good that they are giving you new Pirellis.
But I like your idea of letting other perspective buyers to be aware of the
GOOD YEAR BRAND -RUN FLAT TIRES and the problems associated with them.

Don't buy your BMW if these tires are on your new vehicle-Refuse the delivery!
Check the F10 boards as well. They were some of the first group of folks to deal with the sidewall bubble issues. On my F07 I was lucky and didn't experience any issues with OEM GY Excellence RFT's before i replaced them. On my F25 I replaced the OEM 19's at around 1000 miles.

you are not alone for what that's worth
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
49design
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i

My Experience RFTs

Have the Goodyear Eagle LS2 run-flats 19" size.

I know this is probably no help but I did get the BMW Ultimate Protection Program warranty because I was getting the 19" rims and run-flat tires which I've had no experience with. I was trading in my 2004 X3 3.0 and had few problems with the tires, mostly Pirelli Scorpions, on it.

After around 7,000 miles tire pressure monitor indicated a tire going low, took it to the dealer who replaced the tire immediately under that warranty. Because I keep cars for a while, my last X3 I had for 8 years and 110,000 miles, thought the extended warranty was a good idea protecting me for 5 years.

We'll see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

If I had to do it over again I would definitely purchase the wheel/ tire protection. It wasn't offered when I bought this car and it being the first new bimmer I'd bought I didn't know enough to ask about it.
My issue has been resolved. GY gave me four new Pirelli P7 Centuros for free. I just payed mounting/ balancing and tax on that part.
All said I payed $150 for four brand new tires that blow those GYs away. I do think GY was awesome in resolving this issue, I just wish BMWNA had been more helpful.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #19
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

how'd you manage to get one brand to get you FOUR rival brand tires for free when only one was a defect?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #20
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

I just got 4 new GY LS2's today...

I'm not proud of it. If there were some better options out there, I'll be looking into them next go around.

The only problem I had with the LS2 is their availability and cost. You can always get them from the dealership, which when the car first came out, were the only ones to carry that tire. I had a flat 5 months into the car (about March 2012) and had to get one tire from the dealer.

I went to Discount Tire just last week and they got 4 tires in less than a week. But they were still about $300 a pop. The factory tires, same tires, I got 35,000 miles on so I really can't complain too much.

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #21
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Sorry to hear about all the issues, but glad you got a better quality replacement. BMW has for years been going with the low cost option for tires and not something decent like Michelins, both my X5 and 335i came with Bridgestones which were also junk and if you look at the web, millions of complaints about them - dealer replaced them on my 335i for Michelins when I had issues and it was night and day how much better the Michelins were (they are also $700 more for a set if you have to buy them, so that is why they don't come on our cars!). X5 cupped the Bridgestones in no time and they sounded like a freight train - replaced with more Bridgestones, but didn't care as was a lease and went back with the junk it came with.

Was hoping the GY's were going to at least be a little better than the Bridgestons, but sounds like no such luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #22
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
how'd you manage to get one brand to get you FOUR rival brand tires for free when only one was a defect?
Because it is not good practice to replace one tire with one that doesn't match the rest. Especially with the AWD system. Tire sizes can have minimal differences between manufacturers and if they are not all the same it can cause serious problems. GY knew this and they never even suggested replacing one from a different brand. It was either another Eagle, or four of something else. That was their policy from the get go.
Appreciate 0