BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #23
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
youtube search for the evoque. The car is like a mountain goat using street tires... range rover/ land rover has the off road pedigree. BMW has the road-going cred...
Yea, I have looked online. They both do some nice stuff. I don't necessarily buy the pedigree excuse because Jeep has a huge off road background too and yet they gave us the Compass and Patriot.

I still don't get the mistique of the Evoque other than looks.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #24
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

The Evoque has a better AWD system than the X3 which is nothing more than a jacked up 3 Series Touring.

The Evoque also has a significantly more upmarket interior than the X3 which has too much exposed cheap plastic for the price.

The Evoque is also much better styled than the X3. All BMW do is use the "Matching Luggage" principal so it works on every other vehicle, but the X1 and X3 are close to being double paper bag jobs.

Where the X3 wins is on performance, handling and interior space. Should JLR lanch the stretched Evoque (which has been suggested officially) then one hurdle would be overcome.

Performance-wise JLR have the option to use the 5 cylinder engine used by Ford and Volvo as part of their separation agreement. That can deliver 300hp...Another hurdle gone.

Mike Cross is a genius chassis engineer. If the last barrier in terms of handling is critical to sales, Mike can make some easy tweaks to fix that problem.

So BMW cannot afford to be smug for a minute. And there's still the baby Porsche to come...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #25
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenaBimmer View Post
Am I the only one that finds the Evoque ugly??
Nope, I think the Evoque it pretty ugly. I also think it is one of those styles that won't endure even for the people that do like it.

It reminds me of when the came out with the PT Cruiser. All the press thought it was so cool looking in they flew of the dealers lots the first year, but after that they couldn't give them away.
      03-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #26
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep

PT Cruiser was a copy. The Evoque is original. Big difference: original is always better than a copy. BMW's styling these days is lazyman.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #27
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
PT Cruiser was a copy. The Evoque is original. Big difference: original is always better than a copy. BMW's styling these days is lazyman.
Copy or not the Evoque is still ugly to me. I also still think that the reason the Evoque is getting so much press is because it is so different looking than the rest of the segment and I tip my hat to RR for coming up with something original. But I think after a year or two no one will care for it.
      03-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #28
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep

I disagree because the Evoque is a fresh take on SUV norms, yet still has enough RR DNA to build on the design language. The Evoque's styling will likely last longer than BMW's current styling self parody, because it has similar timeless characteristics to Mid-Century design which still looks contemporary.

But if you prefer BMW's styling that's your choice and you should be happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #29
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep

I really dislike the roofline of the Evoque. They took the chop shopped roof concept in trying to make something look cool, but they overdid it and it looks ridiculous. Almost "clown car" ridiculous. It looks like a heavy steel I-beam landed on the roof.

Last edited by JoeyO; 03-13-2012 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #30
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
The Evoque has a better AWD system than the X3 which is nothing more than a jacked up 3 Series Touring.

The Evoque also has a significantly more upmarket interior than the X3 which has too much exposed cheap plastic for the price.

The Evoque is also much better styled than the X3. All BMW do is use the "Matching Luggage" principal so it works on every other vehicle, but the X1 and X3 are close to being double paper bag jobs.

Where the X3 wins is on performance, handling and interior space. Should JLR lanch the stretched Evoque (which has been suggested officially) then one hurdle would be overcome.

Performance-wise JLR have the option to use the 5 cylinder engine used by Ford and Volvo as part of their separation agreement. That can deliver 300hp...Another hurdle gone.

Mike Cross is a genius chassis engineer. If the last barrier in terms of handling is critical to sales, Mike can make some easy tweaks to fix that problem.

So BMW cannot afford to be smug for a minute. And there's still the baby Porsche to come...
wow, lets see now, as it is, the evoque is about $3k to $4k more than the base x3.
Lets stretched the evoque and hopefully they make it perform/handle better because now its bigger and heavier with the 5 cylinder. Now lets go back to price...bigger, heavier, costlier...doesn't mean it can handle better....
no thank you..oh I forgot...it does look pretty...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #31
Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

It does surprise me at times, the near hostile response that positive comments about the Evoque can draw. It is a bit of a turnoff - I don't want to be one of 'those' drivers that can't recognise good things in other vehicles.

I'm still looking at 3 cars but expect to commit in the next 6weeks at last (more to do with contracts ending). Anyway, latest comparison was rear cargo space.

Tiguan
Width between wheel arches 1000
Height 800
Length (Seats up) ??
Length (seats down) 1500

Evoque
Width between wheel arches 1000
Height 870
Length (Seats up) 810??
Length (seats down) 1580

BMW X3
Width between wheel arches 1090
Height 805
Length (Seats up) 910
Length (seats down) 1570

There is less in it than you'd expect. The tiguan is included purely on a value for money and practicality basis.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 04:01 AM   #32
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

I may be fickle, but I think that the Evoque is very intriguing/stylish to look at, but the X3 is more practical with my growing family. Also preferred the looks of the Q5, but the X3 drove better.

Horses for courses....
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #33
Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Agree, I configured a sapphire 20d and looked at it went hmmmm ... It's not as pretty as a Firenze evoque.

But it sure does drive better...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #34
baldyboy30
Rep
Drives: Mini Countryman All4

To me evoque is like a new sexy girlfriend , who you'll love until you sleep with her few times. But X3 is like a girl who you want to marry and have her for rest of your life.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #35
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldyboy30 View Post
To me evoque is like a new sexy girlfriend , who you'll love until you sleep with her few times. But X3 is like a girl who you want to marry and have her for rest of your life.
That is so funny (not sure that I should be laughing - as a married woman...)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #36
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filski View Post
It does surprise me at times, the near hostile response that positive comments about the Evoque can draw. It is a bit of a turnoff - I don't want to be one of 'those' drivers that can't recognise good things in other vehicles.
I think most people who buy an X3 drove other vehicles. I drove a bunch. I will say I looked at an Evoque and thought it was pretty, but too small for my tastes. Plus, regardless of what people say, in my opinion there is no real evidence that convinces me Land Rover will be more reliable that it has been before, which is pretty bad even for the luxury car segment. Everything I have heard is conjecture.

That being said, I think the reaction you get here is fatigue from people saying the Evoque is great. If you look at the forum, it is full of these threads. No one really asks about the Volvo, or the Acura (which in my opinion, are both better than the Evoque) or the Lexus or Infiniti. The only thing that comes close is the Q5, and most people don't react to the Audi like they do to the Evoque.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #37
bruno787
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 735i

being the OP, im leaning towards the Evoque, just waiting for the right numbers for a trade, ill prolly get one over the X3 since...i dont need the luggage space, i drive with only 1 passenger all the time, i already have a 7 when i need a big car, and it seems boring to have all cars made by bmw in one garage.

im still having 2nd thoughts on its reliability and long term ownership experience though....and the Porsche Macan is coming
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #38
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328i, '14 320i

I'll still stand with my opinion that the Evoque is not a good looking vehicle, and I find the X3 to be very attractive in the M sport trim; I know I love mine!
      03-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #39
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep

What's funny is that Land Rover positions the Evoque against different competitors in different markets.

For example, I was watching some UK auto video review and the editor stated the Evoque competed against the Audi Q3 and BMW X1. He said the Evoque was the winner of that bunch.

In the USA, the base price of an Evoque is much more and is priced even higher than an base Audi Q5 and base BMW X3. And it's not like you're getting a better engine. You're not. The Evoque is the slowest of the bunch.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #40
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

We looked at the Evoque - and the height in the rear was one issue but for us it was the local dealers poor performance the swung it - epecially after the great support we had fom the local BMW dealer - ocean.
The local Range Rover dealer did not want to help, actually said the Audi Q3 was a better car, think he was not that bothered about selling the Evoque, where as the BMW dealer gave us day long tests in a BMW X1, X3 and X5.
No contest in the end...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #41
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
The FWD bias Haldex IV system is "better" then xDrive in what way? They still both have front and rear open diffs and use the brakes to try and bias torque side to side. It's not like it has a low range or locking diffs.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #42
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep

Different off road settings that the X3 doesn't have. The X3 is essentially a jacked up wagon not a true SUV. The most offloading most will do is mounting the sidewalk outside of Barney's.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #43
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Let's face it. If you really need a vehicle for off roading your not going to buy an X3 or an Evoque.
      03-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #44
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep

Certainly not the X3, but if you read some of the road tests from Europe the Evoque manages to do well off road. But let's face it most SUV's in US are driven by suburban housewives dropping the kids off at school en route to shopping at Wholefoods. You really need those Zambezi wading skills on your way to the mall. At least with LR/RR you can go off road if you want to.
Appreciate 0