BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-09-2014, 04:23 AM   #1
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Bmw winter wheel set prices UK

Popped into my local dealer yesterday to arrange the change over of my summer tyres to winter tyres on my current X1 to find that the change over is no longer free and they want to charge me £20 for doing the change over when for the last six years it has been free .. Ho hum not the end of the world.

I did enquire as to cost of winter wheel sets for my new X3 an d was handed a lovely glossy A5 sized booklet ... And omg the prices ..

Examples .. When I bought the set for my E90 3 series I paid just over £1k for the set ... Sold three years later for £600

Same set in the brochure sold as attractive offer for older BMW's ... £1792.00 !!!!

My set for the X1 cost me slightly more at @ £1100 ... Same set up now £1772

Cheapest set for an x3 ... £1772 style 304 17" with sottozero's

Other offers .. 307's 18" with sottozero's £2200 or 307's painted black £2280

Can't help thinking bmw are cashing in on the improved awareness of and popularity of winter tyres ...

I would be hoping for £600 for my X1 wheel set .. And the £1100-1200 cost to change (if I can't barter a deal) will mean that my next set will either be used or non bmw. It seems I can get alutec wheels with premium tyres for £900-1000 which are TUV approved and a cost to change for me approx £400-500

Main stealers eh ?

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 04:40 AM   #2
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep
Drives: around: in: circles:

Garage List
IMO, used are a good way to go - I picked up a set of mint 18" 307s with 245/50 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D runflats, all with 6-7mm tread, for well under £1k.

They're in OEM silver but I like the darker look of the 622Ms that we're currently running so I may have them powder coated in a medium anthracite next spring...
      11-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryGunn View Post
IMO, used are a good way to go - I picked up a set of mint 18" 307s with 245/50 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D runflats, all with 6-7mm tread, for well under £1k.

They're in OEM silver but I like the darker look of the 622Ms that we're currently running so I may have them powder coated in a medium anthracite next spring...
As per PerryGunn check out Ebay, make sure you include Europe in your search. There are quite a few good examples in the UK and from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
As per PerryGunn check out Ebay, make sure you include Europe in your search. There are quite a few good examples in the UK and from Germany.
I agree I sold my 3 series set on eBay and didn't lose a huge amount on them

With the silly prices that Bmw are asking this year all I can see is it losing them sales

I don't see how the same wheel set that I had on my 3 series has gone up in price by £700 over the last 4 years or so over what bmw were asking for them in 2010

I wonder whether it is just bmw uk profiteering or whether the prices are the same elsewhere and it is bmw ag dictating the price

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
cumbrianlad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o View Post
Popped into my local dealer yesterday to arrange the change over of my summer tyres to winter tyres on my current X1 to find that the change over is no longer free and they want to charge me £20 for doing the change over when for the last six years it has been free .. Ho hum not the end of world
Think yourself lucky. Our dealer has been charging £30 since we got winter tyre sets a couple of years ago apart from the inital change. Same for the wife's one series.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 02:23 AM   #6
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Think you had a good dealer doing it for free for 6 years! (Why should it be free?)

We have ours changed and stored and it costs us £60... which seems reasonable to us.

The advantage of getting BMW ones is that they are also covered by the tyre guarantee.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 02:35 AM   #7
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
Think you had a good dealer doing it for free for 6 years! (Why should it be free?)

We have ours changed and stored and it costs us £60... which seems reasonable to us.

The advantage of getting BMW ones is that they are also covered by the tyre guarantee.
I have no complaints about the dealer they are quite superb really, family owned dealer.

I don't have a gripe about the cost .. Just one of those things but when I bought the sets it was part of the (then) deal that they would do the changes for as long as I owned them .. But I think there were very few winter wheel sets sold back then .. As they have become far more popular I can see why they are charging

The thrust of the OP was how much they have gone up in price

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 03:30 AM   #8
Anders R
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Touring

I picked up an immaculate set of 307 (18") with Dunlop 3D RFT with 7.5 mm for 1099 euro, from ebay.de.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
cumbrianlad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
I have no complaints about the dealer they are quite superb really, family owned dealer.

I don't have a gripe about the cost .. Just one of those things but when I bought the sets it was part of the (then) deal that they would do the changes for as long as I owned them .. But I think there were very few winter wheel sets sold back then .. As they have become far more popular I can see why they are charging

The thrust of the OP was how much they have gone up in price
Realized that was the point being made. By the time you add up labour for changing the wheels, storage and a car wash it's an incidental. More annoying was that the winter wheels for the wife's older series one, wouldn't fit the new series one necessitating a change of wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #10
brin60
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMWX3

Hello Andy, I may be able to help you, are you looking for 18 inch genuine bmw wheels with winter tyres? Let me know as I have a set in perfect condition with Dunlop run flats at a fantastic price
Cheers Brin60
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #11
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brin60 View Post
Hello Andy, I may be able to help you, are you looking for 18 inch genuine bmw wheels with winter tyres? Let me know as I have a set in perfect condition with Dunlop run flats at a fantastic price
Cheers Brin60
Pm sent

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #12
brin60
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o
Quote:
Originally Posted by brin60 View Post
Cheers Brin60
Pm sent
Sorry Andy seems there is a problem with the pm as I cannot open your message. Let me try again in the morning
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
brin60
Registered
Rep

Her they are
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #14
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

In here the cost was £750 for a set of four wheels and tyres.

Wheels were 17" and tyres Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7.

That was "bundled with the car buying".

I sold my previous wheels with 6mm Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7s for a 400 euros the whole set. (And I bought Hakkapeliitta R2s to replace).

Here the (purchasing) market is small and pretty much you have to take the money someone is willing to pay.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #15
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
In here the cost was £750 for a set of four wheels and tyres.

Wheels were 17" and tyres Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7.

That was "bundled with the car buying".

I sold my previous wheels with 6mm Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7s for a 400 euros the whole set. (And I bought Hakkapeliitta R2s to replace).

Here the (purchasing) market is small and pretty much you have to take the money someone is willing to pay.
Are the shipping costs too high to get your wheels sent to the rest of Europe?
For €400 I'd have bought them! Very Cheap
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #16
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryGunn View Post

Perry ( or anyone in the know )

Obviously you have the LCI ( and very nice it is too ) and a used set of winters as above ...

Now here is the question ....

The latest cars now have RDC as standard and the bmw web states the below :

The wheel/tyre combination may be registration relevant. Please check the CoC of your car, if the wheel/tyre combination is registration relevant. For more information, please contact your BMW service partner.

All the tyres have been specially developed for BMW models and have the BMW star marking.

RSC = Runflat tyre

RDC = Tyre with Tyre Pressure control system option code SA2VB, introduced as standard equipment during 2014.

So do your pre LCI wheels work ok with the RDC system or do you need new valves etc

Andy

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #17
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep
Drives: around: in: circles:

Garage List
The LCI has the new TPMS sensor valves.

If you have wheels with metal valve stems, they have the new TPMS sensors

Wheels with black rubber valves do not have the new TPMS sensors.

If you pick up second hand winter wheels without sensors, you'll get TPMS warnings as the car won't be able to read the pressures. You'll have to decide if you can live with this or want to add sensors - apparently you can get 3rd party sensors that are compatible and are much more reasonably priced
      11-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #18
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
Is this new sensor set up only on the new LCI?

I've seen early F25 with E83 wheels on as winters and wonder if it's just the early F25 that keep the abs sensor system.
      11-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #19
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
They changed over in 2014 so some of the last pre LCI will have the new sensors as will all lci

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #20
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
BMW do a kit to convert the old style valves to the new ones. They need to replace the whole unit and it costs about £300 in the UK to do all four wheels however my dealer reckons the price will come down as people are complaining that as they renew their cars the wheels are no longer compatible

They have introduced cut price kits for the 3 series so far and he reckons the X3 will follow

I believe you can get aftermarket kits for a lot less

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #21
Ranger 6
Yorkshireman trapped in a Berkshire postcode
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M-Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW X3  [0.00]
Thanks
      12-02-2014, 05:15 AM   #22
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
BMW do a kit to convert the old style valves to the new ones. They need to replace the whole unit and it costs about £300 in the UK to do all four wheels however my dealer reckons the price will come down as people are complaining that as they renew their cars the wheels are no longer compatible

Andy_o, or anyone else.. can you tell me which dealer told you about the kit?

I think I'm in the same boat, I have a new LCI X3 M Sport (64 plate) having previously owned the a pre-LCI X3 M Sport (11 plate).

I had a set of winter wheels (18" rims) that the dealer had in storage.
I bought both cars from the same dealer and they assured me, that the stored wheels would be fully compatible with my new car..

It was only when I took the car last week to the dealership to fit the winter wheels, they told me of the problem.

They suggested buying an entirely new set for another 2K +..

I was pretty annoyed, there was talk of it being a valve issue because of the new RDS pressure sensors and it sounded like they could initially swap the valves, or I assumed at most the tyres, but they have said for RDS to work, I will need a brand new set of wheels..

They have never mentioned a 'kit' that could convert my old wheels.

Do you think it is just because they don't know about it? (I will speak to them today about it)
Or could there be some reason in my setup why a kit conversion wouldn't work? Or is there some disadvantage going down the kit route?

Thanks in advance.
BMW xdrive30d M Sport Space Grey, Black Nevada, Aluminium Trim, 19" 369M alloys, Prof. Media package, Visibility package, Access package, VDC, Sun Protection Glass, Front Seat Heating, Split-folding rear seats, Sun Blinds, Lumbar support, Extended Storage, Business Stereo, DAB, Tel. USB audio interface, 6NR, 614 Internet.
Appreciate 0