BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
faztaz
08 X3 6spd
Rep
Drives: 13 X3 35i MSport

Does the X3 share the same brake system as other platforms?

Looking into obtaining more stopping power, does the F25 platform share the same rotors/calipers/mounting system as other BMW platforms?

Was thinking stainless lines, bigger calipers/rotors, and more aggressive pads.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

FiddyYen is who you should look up... he is auto-crossing his X3
      08-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

Doubtfully but I could be wrong. I haven't looked into this at all. From what i've been finding out on the X3s is that they have some pretty unique parts compared to the other model.

Best way to find out is cross reference part #s on realoem.com with other models.

That should tell you.
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I'd upgrade incrementally. Start with a bit more aggressive pad, something like Hawk HPS pads, and see if you still desire more braking power. Biggest problem will probably be brake fade and the HPS pads will help with that a bit. I think SS lines would be my last stop (and definitely not something that would be compatible across other models due to differing lengths and bend locations). There are a couple new brake upgrade options for the F30 platform which might be worth pursuing, they include larger rotors and a better caliper setup.

Just curious, why the desire for more stopping power? You finding fault with the current setup? What are you plans? Local SCCA events? Weekend canyon carving? Pulling a trailer?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
faztaz
08 X3 6spd
Rep

Thanks guys for the replies.

I was actually eyeing the performance rotors/calipers/pads for the F30 platform that are an OEM upgrade and was hoping these could be carried over.

N55X3 I was planning on doing an event here or there. It will sound weird to you but I feel as though my 08 X3 had better stopping power.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

I always kinda of expected the X3 (especially the 35i) would have the same brakes as the 335, but it doesn't - they're much smaller. Much of the drivetrain is the same, and while I know the 335 is sportier the X3 is quite a bit heavier so I figured it would even out.

I was actually pretty bummed to see the binders on the X3 seemed pretty small. Stopping performance seems fine but I feel like it could be improved.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
Renaud
Private
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 20i; 2002 E36/8

I would be interested in the benefit cost ratio of such an "upgrade". It is an X3 after all, not track toy
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnZero View Post
I always kinda of expected the X3 (especially the 35i) would have the same brakes as the 335, but it doesn't - they're much smaller. Much of the drivetrain is the same, and while I know the 335 is sportier the X3 is quite a bit heavier so I figured it would even out.

I was actually pretty bummed to see the binders on the X3 seemed pretty small. Stopping performance seems fine but I feel like it could be improved.
It is interesting isn't it. I think the X3 is like 700lbs heavier yet the N55 equipped X3 has 13" rotors compared to the larger rotors of the 335i.

For comparison sake:

328i front brakes: 12.3" / rear - 11.8".
328i M sport brakes - front: 13.4" / rear: 13.6"
335i front brakes: 13.4"
335i M sport brakes - front: 14.6" front / rear: 13.6" rear

Would be cool if the M Sport brakes fit an X3.

Faztaz, while I've never driven the previous gen X3, I believe it. I'm definitely not as impressed with the brakes on our X3 as I am with the power/drivetrain. Brakes do seem lacking. I'm hoping it's the pads themselves. We are do for new brake pads early next year, maybe I'll see if they have an alternate with more aggressive compound. I may end up just going with the Hawk HPS pads. Ran them for years and they are really really good. But it's hard to argue free pads with the maintenance plan.

One little observation I've made while braking is that it seems like our X3 really drags the rear brakes on lazy stops, for passenger comfort I suppose. I feel like I can tell, based on pedal travel and front end squat, when the front brakes really bite. Try it, when coming to a stop press the brake pedal as normal then while still on the brakes quickly depress another half inch or so. It seems like that sends more braking power to the front, which makes sense because the front brakes will stop you much faster than the rear. This is also evident by the various posts where folks say 'Why are my rear pads wearing out so much quicker than my front pads" It could be possible that the previous X3 employed a more symmetrical brake load when braking. While this is not always the most comfortable for passengers it does offer better bite and stopping feel.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

The rear pads wear more quickly due in part to the fact that the X3 useless brake energy regeneration, which drags on the brakes while coasting along. When you're coasting with the windows down, you can hear a faint hiss when you pass walls or other cars. That's the sound of the brakes grabbing kinetic energy.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
n55x3
Captain
Rep

So you think the regeneration actually works by clamping the rear brakes? For some reason I was thinking there was another mechanism within the hub that engages when coasting (and this is the 'faint hiss' you hear along with the slight drag) and the rotation of said mechanism is what recharges the battery. I'm having a hard time visualizing how applying brakes to the rotor generates the juice.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Just to follow up, did a little digging and didn't find any reference to BMW's regenerative braking actually generating an electrical charge by way of applying the rear pads to the rear rotors. I do see it is pretty well documented that the system works when coasting or pressing the brakes, essentially any situation where you are not trying to maintain or increase forward momentum, by way of engaging the alternator which in turn recharges the glass mat batteries. This may or may not be complimented by a "power converter fitted directly within the braking mechanism." http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...troduces_.html

Did find this interesting comment on wiki:

During the late 2000s, a system described as "brake energy regeneration" is a misnomer for an electronic control unit used by BMW that engages the alternator during braking, while freewheeling during acceleration and limiting its horsepower draw from the car’s engine while cruising.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_regeneration_brake

It seems that there is a lot going on while coasting but I haven't been able to find any documentation stating the rear brakes actually engage when you lift off the gas. Seems a bit counter intuitive. I'm of the belief that when coasting these vehicles are simply not dragging the rear brakes thus not a contributing factor to the rear pads wearing out sooner than the fronts.

Definitely an interesting topic and is a rather fun one to research!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
jman103099
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 & 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by faztaz View Post
N55X3 I was planning on doing an event here or there. It will sound weird to you but I feel as though my 08 X3 had better stopping power.
I feel like my 06 X3 had better stopping power as well. It's not just you.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Just to follow up, did a little digging and didn't find any reference to BMW's regenerative braking actually generating an electrical charge by way of applying the rear pads to the rear rotors. I do see it is pretty well documented that the system works when coasting or pressing the brakes, essentially any situation where you are not trying to maintain or increase forward momentum, by way of engaging the alternator which in turn recharges the glass mat batteries. This may or may not be complimented by a "power converter fitted directly within the braking mechanism." http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006...troduces_.html

Did find this interesting comment on wiki:

During the late 2000s, a system described as "brake energy regeneration" is a misnomer for an electronic control unit used by BMW that engages the alternator during braking, while freewheeling during acceleration and limiting its horsepower draw from the car’s engine while cruising.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_regeneration_brake

It seems that there is a lot going on while coasting but I haven't been able to find any documentation stating the rear brakes actually engage when you lift off the gas. Seems a bit counter intuitive. I'm of the belief that when coasting these vehicles are simply not dragging the rear brakes thus not a contributing factor to the rear pads wearing out sooner than the fronts.

Definitely an interesting topic and is a rather fun one to research!
QFT.

BMW's is not a regen system like what you would get in a Camry Hybrid. A bit of marketing hyperbole (flat out lie imo ) especially with that blue thing that shows up on the fuel economy guage if you have an Extended Display cluster.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 04:14 AM   #14
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

if the ABS can be activated during hard braking, adding bigger discs, changing pads etc will not give an improvement in braking power that can be transferred to the road. In this case, the braking force that can be applied to the road is limited by the grip of the tyre.

If the brakes are becoming too hot and 'feel' like they are not stopping the car then better brake cooling, bigger discs (to dissipate heat) and pads offering better resistance to fade might well be appropriate.

It is doubtful that the speeds and dynamics involved to do so would be realised on the road and are much more likely to be needed during extensive track driving.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #15
faztaz
08 X3 6spd
Rep

Ant I def agree with you. When looking the vehicles ability to stop you must also look at tires in addition to pads/rotors, calipers, brake lines, fluids, and ventilation.

I do feel that the braking distance and brake feel of the vehicle should be better than is, especially give then SAV image with the M logo on the doorsills.
Appreciate 0