BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #23
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt2 View Post
Completely and totally irrelevant. Samsung alone ships more phones than Apple if you want to play that game.

Looking at platform, Android outsold iOS 4:1 last quarter. Android phones now make up 68% of the world market.

That 17% is down 2% from a year ago, BTW. That BMW has ignored this trend until now is appalling. That is the point here.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/...share-four-one
So what's the best selling individual smart phone ?

08-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #24
alexg62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport

Just tested it on Samsung Captivate and it seems to work. As pointed out earlier, takes 40-50 seconds for command to be executed.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #25
jt2
Annoyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
So what's the best selling individual smart phone ?

Also totally irrelevant.

While trivia like that may be of comfort to True Believers, the simple fact is that only supporting iOS was a dumb move.

Of course, to be fair, when they made that decision the tide shift in favor of Android hadn't become the tsunami it is today. But make no mistake about it, the Fruit Company is losing market share fast. BMW needs to get the app to the US market, yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #26
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Yes Android is outpacing iPhone 4 to 1.
http://newyork.newsday.com/business/...tion-1.3893581
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #27
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
Yes Android is outpacing iPhone 4 to 1.
http://newyork.newsday.com/business/...tion-1.3893581
Impressive that brand new phones are outselling an iPhone in its last weeks of its life
      08-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #28
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt2 View Post
Also totally irrelevant.

While trivia like that may be of comfort to True Believers, the simple fact is that only supporting iOS was a dumb move.

Of course, to be fair, when they made that decision the tide shift in favor of Android hadn't become the tsunami it is today. But make no mistake about it, the Fruit Company is losing market share fast. BMW needs to get the app to the US market, yesterday.
It's only irrelevant to android fanboys such as yourself
There may be more android phone out there
But the fact is there are about 1000 different android phones running about the same number of different software versions
So which one do you cater to?

Or I can support the iPhone, make 2 adapters ( one for 4/4s, the other for 3G/3GS) and cater to 2 software versions, and cover most of the market for ios
And call it a day
Especially that most iPhone users are in a higher income bracket than android phones
I.e. more likely to be BMW owners.
      08-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #29
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

I think having an IOS vs Android bashing session is not going to help the forum at all. I've used both an Iphone 4 and a Samsung Galaxy S2 (with Android 4.0.x ICS). They both have subjective and objective strengths and weaknesses. Same as the Mac vs Windows debate. Gets boring trying to argue.

I'm more interested in the BMW Remote App for Android, and features that are available on it.

Does anyone have a by region/ country feature matrix? i.e. whats works where? Pity that certain features are disabled in some countries.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #30
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
I think having an IOS vs Android bashing session is not going to help the forum at all. I've used both an Iphone 4 and a Samsung Galaxy S2 (with Android 4.0.x ICS). They both have subjective and objective strengths and weaknesses. Same as the Mac vs Windows debate. Gets boring trying to argue.

I'm more interested in the BMW Remote App for Android, and features that are available on it.

Does anyone have a by region/ country feature matrix? i.e. whats works where? Pity that certain features are disabled in some countries.
+1

I am running the Android BMW App successfully.

Phone: HTC One X
Features: Unlock/lock doors, Flash headlights, Precondition, Vehicle Position, Google Local Search.

Previous: 2011 X3 2.0d xLine
Previous: 2015 X3 LCI 3.0d xLine
Current: 2018 530e 2L M-Sport I-Performance
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #31
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Especially that most iPhone users are in a higher income bracket than android phones
I.e. more likely to be BMW owners.
Love this. My favourite contribution to the debate

I've had Apple iPhones since the 3G but they better do a lot better than the 4S when they bring out the 5 soon because I had zero interest in upgrading my 4 to a 4S. But you get Siri!! Oh really? Here's £500 then!

And although BMW seem to favour iPhones, BMW Office doesn't work with iPhones yet but has worked with Blackberry since its inception. Yes, I know that's because iPhones don't support MAP but it illustrates that BMW haven't built their in car tech around iPhones.

And whichever phones BMW support, they don't support them fast enough, e.g. taking over a year to release a compatible cradle for iPhone 4. That's for a device that is upgraded once a year. Not good enough really

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #32
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Love to work with people who are heavy tax payers.

I always felt that it was a mistake on the part of BMW to go for a solution that needs cradle/ adapter. Extra physical video wiring upto the phone is not a good solution when things can work wirelessly these days. I have seen a wifi solutions from small companies that their products create wifi hotspot and iPhone gets hooked up to that exchanging voice and live video. I expect BMW to think differently and come up with a similar solution which is independent of type of phone, apple, google or nokia, who cares!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #33
jt2
Annoyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post

And whichever phones BMW support, they don't support them fast enough, e.g. taking over a year to release a compatible cradle for iPhone 4. That's for a device that is upgraded once a year. Not good enough really
Platform evangelism and thinly veiled snobbery aside, that's really the point.

They were slow to react to a changing market, whether it was support for the iPhone 4, to recognize the market dominance shifting away from iOS to Android.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #34
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1
Love to work with people who are heavy tax payers.

I always felt that it was a mistake on the part of BMW to go for a solution that needs cradle/ adapter. Extra physical video wiring upto the phone is not a good solution when things can work wirelessly these days. I have seen a wifi solutions from small companies that their products create wifi hotspot and iPhone gets hooked up to that exchanging voice and live video. I expect BMW to think differently and come up with a similar solution which is independent of type of phone, apple, google or nokia, who cares!
+1 for wireless interface. Throw in induction charging and everyone's a winner

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #35
Theodoros
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3 f25

Hallo,
From google play I was getting : it is not available in your country etc.
I got the app from here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1808372

Not sure how to log in though yet
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #36
alexg62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport

I'm in US and was able to pick up app from google docs link on xda. I just did a 1300 mile trip and used the app to send various locations to my GPS.

This was very useful since BMW's GPS to find something on the map is not very good.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 12:30 AM   #37
Theodoros
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3 f25

Hallo,
one question about the connected drive password..
I applied to the connecteddrive website to start the services but I was not given a username or password.do I have to wait for a letter, e-mail or do I have to do sth else?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 12:43 AM   #38
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

In US you can register either by contacting dealer or pressing SOS button in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #39
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoros View Post
Hallo,
one question about the connected drive password..
I applied to the connecteddrive website to start the services but I was not given a username or password.do I have to wait for a letter, e-mail or do I have to do sth else?
Thanks
In the UK you get an email conf and then a text with your username. Email looks like this.

Quote:
On receipt of your BMW ConnectedDrive application form, we are writing to advise that your account has been set-up and the system will be ready for use within the next 24 hours.

A text message will be sent shortly to the mobile telephone number you provided on the application form. This contains your login details to enable you to access the BMW ConnectedDrive website www.bmwconnecteddrive.co.uk. If you do not receive the text message, you can request your password again from the website home page.

BMW ConnectedDrive is integrated with the navigation and telephone systems to offer enhanced services, from emergency SOS calls to providing general information on local amenities, all of these facilities are available at the push of a button. Further information on the services provided by BMW ConnectedDrive is available on the website.

Should you have any queries regarding BMW ConnectedDrive, please do not hesitate to call 0800 561 0555 between 9.00am and 5.00pm, Monday-Friday and one of our BMW ConnectedDrive Advisors will be available to help with your query.
Text followed 2 days after applying online in my case

Appreciate 0