BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
tango131
Private
Rep
Drives: Boxster S; 2013 X3 28i

2013 X3 28i AW/Chestnut Order Q's

Greetings from Chicago. Long time lurker, first time poster. We are on the market for a small lux suv for my wife. A little about me. I have a Porsche Boxster S Gen II that I really enjoy as my DD car (even in the winter w/ winter tires on – I know, I’m “crazy”) and am active in the planet 9 boards under the same handle. Wife and I have driven many options we liked (Q5, xc60, MB ML 350, cayenne, x3, etc). it came down to X3 and Q5 (surprise surprise). We have chosen the X3, mainly because of the richer interior and heated steering wheel –a must for my wife (I’ll post my thoughts on comparisons between the cars driven another time). I’ll say that this forum has been very helpful in narrowing things down. So thank you all!

So, we are very close to ordering 2013 X3 28i for pick up at the BMW performance center in South Carolina (due mostly to the overwhelmingly positive reviews from folks here re the PC delivery experience, so thanks again!). We will be using BMW’s EPP program, which sets the price at wholesale invoice minus a set amount ($1,500 in this case). We have spec’ed it as follows:
• Ex. Color Alpine White
• Nevada Chestnut Leather interior
• Fineline Siena Wood
• Premium Package
• Sport Activity Package
• Cold weather package
• Convenience Package
• Dynamic Handling Package
• Park distance control
• Rear view camera

Chose the 28i because of fuel economy and because my wife does not care about the bigger engine (I don’t either, we have another car for that ). I was a bit on the fence about the DHP package (have not driven an X3 with it since I can’t find a dealer in Chicago that has one). But all the reviews from here say to get DHP as it is a worthy option to have. So, I’ve quoted it with it included for the comfort adaptive part of the suspension for my wife (since it is supposed to offer more comfort than the std suspension) and so that I can adjust to suit my more sporting driving preference. We do not need the nav, hence why we did not spec the tech package. My wife does need, however, the backup camera.

What are people’s thoughts on Chestnut leather? I also have not been able to see it in person, but have seen the many pics in this forum and the Edmunds long termer that also has it. We chose the sienna wood instead of the darker wave wood because to our eyes (at least on the pics we have seen) it looks better and brighter/more lively. My wife’s current car is red ext with black interior and mine is silver ext with black interior, so the wife and I want a change from the black interiors. We are also considering the sand beige interior, but the wife is concerned that with our dog (a lab) and kid/s (hopefully 1 w/in the year) that the sand beige will get dirty too quickly and be a PITA to maintain. Any thoughts from those who have the Nevada sand beige on maintenance and dirt factor with kids and dogs?

Sorry for the long post. In summary, I would welcome opinions on: 1) chestnut leather; 2) sand beige leather maintenance; and 3) any other random thoughts you may have on the order.

Thank you all! We are very excited.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

I have the exact same combo except its with the wave brown trim. I've had it for several months and I still constantly get compliments on it. It's easy to maintain and I still love the chestnut color.

As for the beige, it will be different. You will have a lot of beige, your floors, doors, roof and leather covered areas will all be beige. The chestnut at least is limited to just the seats and the door panels. Giving it a nice contrast and a more premium look. Not saying anything is wrong with beige but it will look different.

Cheers!
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
sn19
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2012

When I ordered, I did start with alpine white with chestnut int with finewave wood trim. I test drove q5 albis white with cinnamon brown which was looking very rich. But with x3, the chestnut is a little more reddish. Did not get to see one on the lot. The dealer kind of discouraged me too- said it is usually preffered with black ext. After a week, I changed it to beige with SAP- this gives a good contrast since lower half is beige and the upper half black. I am very happy with my final choice, but still think about my first choice. If it was cinnamon brown, which was in a 5 series on the lot, probably would have gone with it. So far, no problems with maintenance, but donot have a dog though. Again, I have not seen chestnut int with alpine white ext on a x3. I am sure some here on the forum can shed more light like fiddy yen.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
tango131
Private
Rep

thank you both. will very likely place order tomorrow. can't wait !!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I went with the Oyster interior - no dogs and 1 kiddo. Personally I think the brighter colors tend to hide dirt better.

One thought on the DHP : I did not have a chance to try one out and my recently acquired 35i does not have it, but I did find the ride quality on the 35i to be much better than the 28i. Not sure why - perhaps the Pirelli P7 tires vs whatever was on the 28i - but the 28i felt harsh over bumps and cracks in the road whereas the 35i felt just as I would expect a BMW to - nice and taut but with good damping. Do yourself a favor and test the 35i before making a decision. There is not much difference in fuel economy on paper and you just might find that driven appropriately the 35i might do just as well as the 28i. I had mine on cruise at 75mph on the freeway the other day and I was getting 30mpg. That engine is really quite fantastic.

A 35i without DHP might be just the ticket.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
trackpilot
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango131 View Post
We will be using BMW’s EPP program, which sets the price at wholesale invoice minus a set amount ($1,500 in this case).
What exactly is this program?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

I have the AW with Red Brown Int (same as Chestnut in USA) along with DHP. My vehicle is fully loaded except HUD. The AW + Red brown is fantastic and gets a lot of looks, very sharp and a good contrast. I like the 2 tone interior color because single tone looks boring. It is very easy to keep clean, apply some leather cleaner and it'll bring out the shine and boldness of the color.

I did not test a X3 with DHP because no one had this option on their demos (in fact there weren't any demos when I ordered back in Dec 2011). Either way I ordered the car without DHP in the beginning and thought about it for a few days and took a 528 with DHP for test drive. That was enough to change my mind. The ride in normal/comfort mode felt like a true luxury car but sport/sport + changed the character completely. At a touch of a button it feels like I'm driving my 335 coupe. The handling, steering (still not as direct as the 335 because of the electronic steering) is just exceptional. I never thought a tall riding vehicle can corner and handle the way this thing does. The 35i engine is a master piece and I get better gas mileage than my 335 (keep in mind the X3 is about 700 lbs heavier than the 335). Not to mention the 8sp auto is just fantastic. Normal/comfort mode is smooth and relaxing. Sport/sport + gear changes are lightning fast. I really believe the X3 can hit 60 in 5.5 as advertised.

In summary you will not regret Red Brown Interior. Once you have DHP you will never go back
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
tango131
Private
Rep

Thank you all for the feedback. We placed our build order with the spec listed in my post, and added the cargo net as we have a dog. We are very excited.

Adding purchase data points to the forum: total msrp including destination, maco and “training fee” (btw, all these “fees” are BS and cannot be waived) but without taxes, title, tags, etc. is $49,155. Our cost $43,740 (without taxes, title, tags, etc.). We used EPP, which is the executive preference program. My wife’s company participates. Here is more info: http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...ceprogram.aspx.

So overall, EPP is awesome pricing, although if someone was able to get a quote for $500 over invoice (which some here have posted as doable) and then add additional discounts (Team USA, USAA discount, loyalty, etc.) they might be able to do better. Unfortunately, EPP cannot be combined with any of these aforementioned incentives. Further, the EPP discount from invoice for the X3 last year was $2,500, whereas this year is “only” $1,500. Other models have deeper discounts (e.g., 6 series = 6K). Google for more info.

I’m awaiting confirmation on the build date and when we can pick it up in South Carolina. Hopefully, it will be about a month or so. And the wait begins.

Last edited by tango131; 06-18-2012 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
trackpilot
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango131 View Post
Adding purchase data points to the forum: total msrp including destination, maco and “training fee” (btw, all these “fees” are BS and cannot be waived) but without taxes, title, tags, etc. is $49,155. Our cost $43,740 (without taxes, title, tags, etc.). We used EPP, which is the executive preference program. My wife’s company participates. Here is more info: http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...ceprogram.aspx.

So overall, EPP is awesome pricing, although if someone was able to get a quote for $500 over invoice (which some here have posted as doable) and then add additional discounts (Team USA, USAA discount, loyalty, etc.) they might be able to do better. Unfortunately, EPP cannot be combined with any of these aforementioned incentives. Further, the EPP discount from invoice for the X3 last year was $2,500, whereas this year is “only” $1,500. Other models have deeper discounts (e.g., 6 series = 6K). Google for more info.
Ahh ok thanks. My company has fleet pricing with Mercedes but i'm not seeing it with BMW. I'll have to call them and see if we do get it or if i can set something up?
$1,500 is not bad though. I wonder if the $2,500 discount last year was at the end of the model year when they were trying to get rid of the '12s?
Appreciate 0