BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
ChitownX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 CB X3 35i MS; 07 BS M Coupé

Detailer in Chicago

Does anyone have a good detailer in Chicago or the near suburbs that they can recommend? I live in a high rise in the city so unfortunately I don’t have the space to wash or detail my cars on my own. I recently washed my car at my folks house where they have hard water and unfortunately it left spots that now need to be removed. It’s a process that I just don’t have the time to do myself anymore.

For a while I was using a detailer that was 40 miles away and worth the trip. He did a great job and was the only I trusted, but recently I feel like I have to chase him down to give him my business.

There’s also a hand car wash place that’s local but they have disappointed me too much in the past. They hire minimum wage help and give them an old style buffer and let them have at your car. My prior X5 came back worse than when I dropped it off. It amazes me how many people with Bentleys, Porches, etc will let these amateurs work on their cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

I don't know of a detailer near you, but you can try to get the hard water spots off with white vinegar until you find someone to do a proper detail. I just recently had to get hard water spots off one side of my GTI after it was doused by sprinklers and the spots dried on It took them off with some (minimal effort). Hope you find someone!
      07-11-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
11x35SapphireBlk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3.5 Black Sapphire

try a clay bar with detailer 1st.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
Itchywasabi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Try this.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/snappy-carwash-chicago
The $17 handwash is more than enough for me. Also, if you need your car detailed just tell them.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
buckeyebill
Rep
Drives: Honda Pilot

I would try Simon's off of Clybourn and Webster. I agree with you that the min. wage folks at most places around town actually make it worse in the end. However I have had several cars fully detailed from Simon's and I love the work they do. Maybe it's just me and my luck but I have never had any issues from this place.

http://www.simonsshineshop.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Blame the owners for not training the workers properly.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
Itchywasabi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownX View Post
Does anyone have a good detailer in Chicago or the near suburbs that they can recommend? I live in a high rise in the city so unfortunately I don’t have the space to wash or detail my cars on my own. I recently washed my car at my folks house where they have hard water and unfortunately it left spots that now need to be removed. It’s a process that I just don’t have the time to do myself anymore.

For a while I was using a detailer that was 40 miles away and worth the trip. He did a great job and was the only I trusted, but recently I feel like I have to chase him down to give him my business.

There’s also a hand car wash place that’s local but they have disappointed me too much in the past. They hire minimum wage help and give them an old style buffer and let them have at your car. My prior X5 came back worse than when I dropped it off. It amazes me how many people with Bentleys, Porches, etc will let these amateurs work on their cars.
By the way, let me know if you're able to find a car detailing place that pays its employees more than 300K a month. I might go and apply.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep

You missed the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchywasabi View Post
By the way, let me know if you're able to find a car detailing place that pays its employees more than 300K a month. I might go and apply.
It's not pay but training.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
Itchywasabi
Private
Rep

You missed to read the qoute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
It's not pay but training.
Its not you Im responding to.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #10
ChitownX
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchywasabi View Post
I understand where you're coming from. It really comes down to training. But I'm not looking for the mass consumption hand car wash place. I prefer the independent detailer with years of experience and a passion for what he/she does.

My previous detailer was like this. Unfortunately we had a falling out. He had so much business that I was always chasing him down. I finally became so frustrated and that I had to walk. Unfortunately I did it without having a back up.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Nissan 350Z, 11 BMW X3

Look up Lustr auto detail
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
ChitownX
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlili4190 View Post
Look up Lustr auto detail
Thanks. I did look at Lustr and speak to Ivan the owner. I narrowed it down to three in my area. Lustr, Simons Shine Shop and Auto Detail Chicago. I decided on ADC because of the positive Yelp reviews and the close proximity to my office.

I dropped off my X3 at ADC this morning to have the water spots removed and have it polished and waxed. I’ll report back on the quality of the detail later.

Thanks to everyone for your input.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
northwestern
Rep
Drives: X3

I know you already decided, but Suds in Evanston on Greenbay Road does a really nice job.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #14
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Nissan 350Z, 11 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestern View Post
I know you already decided, but Suds in Evanston on Greenbay Road does a really nice job.
If your close to NU and you see a white x3 with an Msport package. That's me or a blue Nissan 350z
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #15
ChitownX
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If your close to NU and you see a white x3 with an Msport package. That's me or a blue Nissan 350z
I'll be sure to wave.

I'll be in the Carbon Black with M sport.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
northwestern
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
I'll be that student trying not to get run over at the Chicago/Sheridan crosswalk near the Arch...haha
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #17
buckeyebill
Rep
Drives: Honda Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownX View Post
I'll be sure to wave.

I'll be in the Carbon Black with M sport.
I love those rims!!! gorgeous!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #18
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep

Those rims are very sharp! Just fit smaller ones for winter!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #19
ChitownX
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
Those rims are very sharp! Just fit smaller ones for winter!
Thanks Buckeyebill and Le Chef.

I plan to swap out the 20's every fall. I had the dealer swap out the 19" summer tires that came with the M Sport package for winter RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #20
nashah
Rep
Drives: M2C

ChitownX, what did you think of ADC? I am thinking about dropping my car off for detailing next week...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #21
ChitownX
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashah View Post
ChitownX, what did you think of ADC? I am thinking about dropping my car off for detailing next week...
Nashah - ADC did a good job just not a great job. They did a good job of removing the water spots. However; they didn’t open the rear hatch. So they didn’t vacuum the rear compartment or wash and detail the portion of the bumper covered by the rear hatch. Plus there was polish and wax residue left around the badges and in the parking sensors. Unfortunately I didn’t notice this until I was back home. The owner offered to rewash it and correct the issues free of charge. The paint also doesn’t have the same depth and shine as it did when my previous detailer was finished.

I would really like to use ADC on a regular beasis because they’re so close to my office. I hope this is a one off occurrence. I may try LUSTR next time. They’re a little bit farther away - Foster Ave near the I-90 exit. LUSTR appears to cater toward a more discriminating customer.
Appreciate 0