BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
smoothmoka
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: f25

Dash Display Dials gone Weird

I started up my 3 week old x3 and dash display dials are all wrong. My rpm is past redline, speedometer is pointing 6 oclock and my gas tank way past fulltank... Is there a reset to this or bring it to dealership?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoka View Post
I started up my 3 week old x3 and dash display dials are all wrong. My rpm is past redline, speedometer is pointing 6 oclock and my gas tank way past fulltank... Is there a reset to this or bring it to dealership?
Take a photo of the dash instruments, record the date, and take it back to your dealership immediately. If the electronically controlled instruments are malfunctioning, it's also possible that the safety related displays are also not working correctly. There is not a owners accessible "reset" for the display.

Disconnecting the battery might reset the displays, but is not recommended, because it resets everything else too. Your dealership should be able to read any error codes from your remote key, and even if it does, you should have a record of this fault for warrantee purposes.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 Z4 630iC

Do you use Microsoft windows software ? just press alt-ctrl-del

Or you could try the self diagnostics on the idrive and remove all of your wifi and other radio transmitting equipment from the car , wait 10 minutes and start again...

Kind regards , Mac user
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Close all the windows, get out, get back in, and open the windows again.

Works on a PC!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
Beanano
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5i

Hey there! What ended up being the problem? This exact thing happened to me on Friday (car is less than 2 months old!). The following morning after it happened, when they started the car, the problem went away. They are still running tests to figure out what the problem is! A few weeks ago, my Sunroof wouldn't close (computer issue!). Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
smoothmoka
Private
Canada
Rep

Well, it's been 3 days without my x3
The dealership had to call BMW Canada regarding the problem and I've been stuck with a rental (chevy impala). Looks like it won't be resolved till Monday.
This sucks!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, it's been 3 days without my x3
The dealership had to call BMW Canada regarding the problem and I've been stuck with a rental (chevy impala). Looks like it won't be resolved till Monday.
This sucks!
Which dealership you are using? Last time the rental guy tries to give me a Kia Rio when my dealer service my X3.....
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
smoothmoka
Private
Canada
Rep

@Maranelo BMW. Who gave you a Kia?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
@Maranelo BMW. Who gave you a Kia?
Town + Country...... Finally the service guy told the rental guy to give me a Nissan Altima.....
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Why are you not getting BMW's as loaners?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #11
smoothmoka
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Why are you not getting BMW's as loaners?
There's a 2 week waiting list for loaners...just couldn't wait that long!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
There's a 2 week waiting list for loaners...just couldn't wait that long!
Wow, that sucks! Is it a small dealer and that's why the wait list is so long?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #13
smoothmoka
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Wow, that sucks! Is it a small dealer and that's why the wait list is so long?
funny cause I called up 4 dealerships and all of them said the same thing...2-3 weeks wait! 2 dealerships won't even cover for rental or loaner since i didn't purchase the car from them.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
smoothmoka
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanano View Post
Hey there! What ended up being the problem? This exact thing happened to me on Friday (car is less than 2 months old!). The following morning after it happened, when they started the car, the problem went away. They are still running tests to figure out what the problem is! A few weeks ago, my Sunroof wouldn't close (computer issue!). Thanks!
finally got my x3 back this afternoon...all they did was to resent instrument cluster...shouldn't have taken 3 days + weekend!!!
Hopefully it doesn't happen again!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #15
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
finally got my x3 back this afternoon...all they did was to resent instrument cluster...shouldn't have taken 3 days + weekend!!!
That's one of my major complaints with the way BMW works. Local dealers don't seem to have access to service documentation that would let them diagnose these problems, and their hands are tied because BMW NA won't let them try anything that results in a warrantee charge without getting prior approval. As you have found out, that process takes several days while the "repair" may only take a few minutes.

Resetting the instrument cluster may have corrected the current symptoms, but until you've driven the car for some time, you won't really know if the fault that triggered the original problem has been fixed.

BMW will typically try the lowest cost, easiest fix first, before trying to diagnose the real problem. When I was getting repeated system failure warnings, they reloaded the CPU software and then changed the tires. That took (11) days! Neither of those "quick and dirty" fixes accomplished anything except wasting weeks of my time.

If it happens again, insist that they fix the "problem" and that they don't return the car until they have determined the cause. Resetting the instrument cluster is like a computer repair person telling you to re-boot the system. It might get things working again in the near term, but usually won't correct a real fault.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Lotus7; 06-27-2011 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #16
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
It takes four days for BMW Canada to agree with my dealer to replace the passenger side power window motor of my X3.....

And they have to order the parts from Germany......
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #17
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth12468 View Post
It takes four days for BMW Canada to agree with my dealer to replace the passenger side power window motor of my X3.....

And they have to order the parts from Germany......
That’s why I decided not to have any problems until they get a good stock of spare parts in the US. (kidding)

To me it is inexcusable for them not to have a full complement of parts here. The X3 isn’t even made in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #18
smoothmoka
Private
Canada
Rep

It happened again!!!
...and it's the weekend...this better be the last time!
...and I better get a bmw loaner
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #19
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
To me it is inexcusable for them not to have a full complement of parts here. The X3 isn’t even made in Germany.
This part always confuses me. BMW makes great cars but it's not like they're indestructible, they been in business since 1916 they must know that cars occasionally break down or need parts replaced, why they don't stock X3 parts in the US and especially in the country where the car is being built is beyond me. In addition I would think that having a large supply of parts in the US would be more economical then having to ship them from Germany or have to shell out money in the form of loaner cars. Plus it's not like if BMW has a surplus of parts then it would go to waste, they could always use the surplus in production cars then order a lower quantity for the next shipment.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #20
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It happened again!!!
...and it's the weekend...this better be the last time!
...and I better get a bmw loaner
Sorry to hear that the instrument cluster problem has returned. Don't let them brush you off again with just a system "reset".

Don't want to sound like a broken record, but please see the last paragraph of post No. 15. Serious electronic problems like you're seeing, just don't "go away" all by themselves. Having the instruments "peg" is not normal, and there is a physical cause that can be found and corrected.

If they do insist on sending you on your way by just resetting the system again and not by finding the source of the intermittent defect. Immediately phone BMW NA and register a complaint. It usually takes them 3 to 5 days to investigate the problem. If you're not satisfied with the diagnostic skill of your local dealership, let BMW NA know you want someone who knows what they're doing have a look at the car.

To get any significant movement out of BMW, it seems you have to make a lot of noise. Being polite and quiet, seems to get you pushed to the back of the que.

Again, Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #21
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

BMW eventually will have a full stockpile of parts for the X3 in the US. Their supply chain processes just have not caught up with production. Keep in mind that its more expensive and time consuming for them to be shipping everything from Germany. This situation is, unfortunately, a by-product of buying a brand new car design that is built on a brand-new production line in a (from BMW's perspective) a foreign country. This does not excuse the poor planning, but I am sure they will strive to do a better job to keep customers satisfied as their competition is biting at their heels (the Audi Q5?)

As far as the instrument cluster problem, BMW's have notoriously complex (and multiple) electronics systems. Every BMW that I've owned had electrical eccentricities that were dealt with through a reset or software update. You problem needs to diagnosed by a higher level technician who knows what they are doing and can get on the phone with BMW's support team.

As Lotus says, document everything - take pictures and note who you spoke to and when. Be firm and courteous and do not be afraid to escalate. They want you back as a customer.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #22
smoothmoka
Private
Canada
Rep

thanks Guys for the advice, much appreciated!

....at least this time, I was given a fully loaded x3 35i
I'm thinking, they can keep my 28i and i'll keep the 35i

I really love the sports steering wheel, I'm sure I can get that retrofitted, right??? now, I'm thinking I should've opted for a 35i...what a difference!!!
Appreciate 0