BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-17-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
daveycrocket
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 28i MSport Cbn Blk/Oys

One minor irritation

I have just taken delivery of my '13 X3 Msport. I have all options excepting Premium sound and HUD.

When I was checking the boxes at order time I saw the load space divider for $180 but thought I would just buy it from the dealership when the car arrived. Bad idea!

I was quoted $987 for the same part I could have purchased at time of order for $180. I was shocked but was told it retracts into the housing for the cargo cover.

I contacted my rep and asked if he could order it direct from BMW at the $180 price and still waiting to hear back. I really want/need this "option" added to my car but I am not paying $987.

Having come from an E53 X5 my load space divider for that cost me $180.

I wish the website articulated this option more clearly.

Maybe I need to call BMWNA myself and see what they will do for me. I have driven only BMW for the last 20 years. Yea right...I'm dreaming now!
      01-17-2013, 04:46 AM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Might check your vehicle to make sure you have the attachment points in the roof to accept the mesh divider. If memory serves, someone else on an earlier model wanted to add this item and found those receptacles weren't installed in the car since they hadn't ordered the option. That made it either expensive or impossible to add. Perhaps that's the reason for your high quote to add?
      01-17-2013, 05:17 AM   #3
daveycrocket
Enlisted Member
Rep

Wow! You are absolutely correct. Those two receptacles are not installed in my roof. Major disappointment.

I wish that information was made clear to me before ordering. I'll call BMWUSA and at least talk with them about it.

I'm wondering if the attachment point are above the headliner only requiring a cut and then install the attachment receptacles.

Thank you for responding back too!
      01-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

I bought that divider on my X3, but I wish I hadn't. If you're buying it as a dog barrier like I did, it might not work for that purpose. There are big gaps on both sides of the net. Depending on the size and nature of your dogs, they might go right around it.

I bought a Travall dog barrier. It was expensive, but well made. The BMW net will probably never be used.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

The aluminum roof rails are another example of something that's relatively inexpensive to order initially, but expensive to add later. It's a $250 option. I planned not to order them, but to add them later if needed. The dealer said it would cost $2300 to add them later! I ordered the roof rails.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
daveycrocket
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck1 View Post
I bought that divider on my X3, but I wish I hadn't. If you're buying it as a dog barrier like I did, it might not work for that purpose. There are big gaps on both sides of the net. Depending on the size and nature of your dogs, they might go right around it.

I bought a Travall dog barrier. It was expensive, but well made. The BMW net will probably never be used.
I don't use it as a dog barrier but rather to ensure stuff remains in the way back in case of hard braking and a rear end collision. I'm going to pursue what it would cost for me to retrofit it into my interior as long as I can get the screen for a reasonable cost. I'm working with BMWNA and my dealership today.
      01-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
daninny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck1 View Post
The aluminum roof rails are another example of something that's relatively inexpensive to order initially, but expensive to add later. It's a $250 option. I planned not to order them, but to add them later if needed. The dealer said it would cost $2300 to add them later! I ordered the roof rails.
I did the exact same thing. Ordered i just in case.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #8
daveycrocket
Enlisted Member
Rep

Okay so to update. I have been working with BMWNA and was told the divider can be retrofitted. After I explained my issue to them they agreed it was not articulated well in their marketing brochures and order form. They talked with my local BMW dealer and agreed to give me the parts for free and I'd have to pay for labor of $138. I thought that was great and now only waiting to hear back from Kuni BMW for parts availability and set an appointment. I'll post another update and photographs when the install is complete.
      03-08-2013, 03:07 AM   #9
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d M Sport - DSB Manual

Result! Just goes to show that if you have a reasoned argument and don't go in 'shouting the odds' as if you have a god given right to something, then you may just get what you want.

Well done and thanks for the update.
- F25 2.0d M Sport manual, DSB, black leather with fineline wave wood, Pan Sunroof, 368 M alloys, exterior trim and rails in matt aluminium, reversing camera, sun protection glass, windscreen with grey shade band, heated front seats, extended storage, powered tailgate, Xenon's, bluetooth c/w USB, DAB.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 05:10 AM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveycrocket View Post
Okay so to update. I have been working with BMWNA and was told the divider can be retrofitted. After I explained my issue to them they agreed it was not articulated well in their marketing brochures and order form. They talked with my local BMW dealer and agreed to give me the parts for free and I'd have to pay for labor of $138. I thought that was great and now only waiting to hear back from Kuni BMW for parts availability and set an appointment. I'll post another update and photographs when the install is complete.
Wow, what a great response from BMWNA and your dealer. Congrats!
      03-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveycrocket View Post
You should be very thankful BMW really took good care of you. Most options on any car is much cheaper when it is installed in the factory. Trying to retrofit an option into an existing car that doesnt have it can be every expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

I don't wish to rain on your parade, daveycrocket, but do you have all of this in writing yet? The cargo net retrofit involves removing the headliner and cutting holes in it where the mounting points go -- two right behind the front seats and two above the cargo cover area. It is great that BMW and your dealer have agreed to do this, but I find it remarkable that they would do all that work for $138. I would get a clarification on what they are going to do and the exact scope of the work before proceeding.

Good luck with the retrofit. I agree that the cargo cover is not explained at all well by BMW. Others have gotten dinged by this, too.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 12:51 AM   #13
daveycrocket
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Bimmer View Post
I don't wish to rain on your parade, daveycrocket, but do you have all of this in writing yet? The cargo net retrofit involves removing the headliner and cutting holes in it where the mounting points go -- two right behind the front seats and two above the cargo cover area. It is great that BMW and your dealer have agreed to do this, but I find it remarkable that they would do all that work for $138. I would get a clarification on what they are going to do and the exact scope of the work before proceeding.

Good luck with the retrofit. I agree that the cargo cover is not explained at all well by BMW. Others have gotten dinged by this, too.
A little drizzle is always good for a reality check. I do not have anything in writing and have contacted the dealer directly about the response I've received from BMWNA. It appears based on a email sent to Kuni BMW that they never talked with anyone with BMWNA so the dealership is going back to them for the complete history of the issue.

Just to put it out there I've been very patient and willing to wait for calls back from BMWNA and the dealership alike. I must say the dealership is being very honest and direct with me which is my preference. I'm not a beat around the bush kind of person which is what gets irritating. So my hats off to them. BMWNA also has been very polite and accommodating however I'm starting to feel they've only told me what I need to hear to smooth things over not that anything is being blown out of proportion.

Today I was told that my X3 cannot even be optioned with the load space divider. Then why is it offered on the website?

If anyone has it installed could you snap a photograph of it extended and latched to the ceiling of your X3? That may help my case.

I'll keep you posted as to the results in the coming weeks.
      03-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #14
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
You can see the BMW website instruction videos (from the sticky topic on this forum) one of them refers and shows how to install/remove the net. And yes, you can clearly see the roof has 'hook' like indentations that are are not in my car, for example...
      03-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #15
daveycrocket
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
You can see the BMW website instruction videos (from the sticky topic on this forum) one of them refers and shows how to install/remove the net. And yes, you can clearly see the roof has 'hook' like indentations that are are not in my car, for example...
Thank you for pointing that out. I'll guide them to their video.
      03-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
X3Bernie
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 & 2014 X3

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Hi all, first post!
In case you were looking for the videos they are located here, pretty cool:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...de=1165&page=1

After many months of research just happily ordered my 2014 X3 28i and was recently told they no longer offer the cargo net at all. This of course was after I already had it in my purchase order. The dealer actually called to let me know they were altering my order and BMW no longer offers the cargo net for future cars whatsoever??
Does that sound odd to anyone. again this is for the 2014 model, even my dealer who I've bought 3 cars from was confused but confirmed it several times with other dealers. Something I don't know about the cargo net? I guess I'm looking for aftermarket barriers so I can put my dog back there.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #17
guyver626
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 35i m-sport carbon black

it was because of this post that got me to order the cargo net. thank you for sharing so others do not make the same mistake.
Appreciate 0