BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Send Nav details from PC to Car

Hi all,

I'm still agonising on whether to get BMW nav in my future X3 or not.
BMW assist, apps, facebook, twitter etc. doesn't interest me, but the ability to send nav details from my pc to car does.
I've been trying out Google Chrome send to Phone, and I presume the BMW version uses the same technique.
With Chrome to phone, you find where you want to go to then click on the browse plug-in, which pushes it to my Android phone. I get an immediate phone pop up asking which app I want to use. i.e. google maps
The phone Google Navigation works if I select a destination only, not a complete route. It doesn't seem to like waypoints, just an end destination.

Can anyone detail how the BMW version works? Do you need to load an app, or browser plug-in?

I'm thinking that I can get by with my phone Nav, rather then getting built in Nav.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
I would strongly suggest that you get the BMW apps. If you have an iPhone, in iOs6 you can read ur email ,txt and importantly dictate ur txt msg.

Also as a plus, Siri .
      06-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

For BMW car, you can use google map or BMW remote app to send only end destination to car. You first figure out what address you want to send and then use google feature to send to car. Here you got to give your BMW assist details, message is sent to BMW central server which in turns send the address packed in a message sends to your specific car. In about 5 minutes time, car will receive a message into your message in box. You navigate to inbox and after selecting the message pick the option to navigate then your BMW navigation app displays the directions.

It's all based on Google app. and it's an integrated system.

You can use external navigation on mobile phones too, it's your choice. I opted for BMW Nav just to avoid temporary looking phone arrangement. Since 1999 I was using phone to navigate and was happy but now I switched to BMW Nav, I m happy too as it is an integrated approach. Negatives are that we don't get free updates, I can't change to other Nav app in just $50 and BMW Nav is not that good compared to navigon, tomtom etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i, 2014 X1 sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Hi all,

I'm still agonising on whether to get BMW nav in my future X3 or not.
BMW assist, apps, facebook, twitter etc. doesn't interest me, but the ability to send nav details from my pc to car does.
I've been trying out Google Chrome send to Phone, and I presume the BMW version uses the same technique.
With Chrome to phone, you find where you want to go to then click on the browse plug-in, which pushes it to my Android phone. I get an immediate phone pop up asking which app I want to use. i.e. google maps
The phone Google Navigation works if I select a destination only, not a complete route. It doesn't seem to like waypoints, just an end destination.

Can anyone detail how the BMW version works? Do you need to load an app, or browser plug-in?

I'm thinking that I can get by with my phone Nav, rather then getting built in Nav.

Thanks
It's basically the same method. I go to Google Maps and type in or select a location. Then I hit More/Send/car and select BMW. It sends it to BMW assist via my user ID (email address). It show up as a message on BMW assist, which I can then use as a destination on the navigation system.

I was trying to decide whether to keep using my Garmin Nuvi or get the Tech option. I'm glad that I went for the latter. I like the above feature, but the primary reasons are that the screen is much larger so I can see the route easily (in various different scales and perspectives) and the instructions are louder and more clear. (The Nuvi would have to speak over the radio).

I don't see how you can use a phone as a navigation since the screen is so small, but if it works for you, that's cool.

I would think twice about not getting BMW Apps. Facebook, Twitter are a waste, but WebRadio, Pandora (with full control) are worth it and there is the potential for more.

Cliff
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
GreenW
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i carbon black

I would recommend to get the Tech package. I almost fully-loaded the car except I didn't get the Tech package. Although my Garmin and iPod touch work fine in the car, it's just a little too much hassle, I would get the Tech package if I were to buy the car again.

And by far, there is not a single decent aftermarket solution for this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenW View Post
I would recommend to get the Tech package. I almost fully-loaded the car except I didn't get the Tech package. Although my Garmin and iPod touch work fine in the car, it's just a little too much hassle, I would get the Tech package if I were to buy the car again.

And by far, there is not a single decent aftermarket solution for this car.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post
I would strongly suggest that you get the BMW apps. If you have an iPhone, in iOs6 you can read ur email ,txt and importantly dictate ur txt msg.

Also as a plus, Siri .
Wasn't sure if you are saying that BMW Apps is required, so wanted to add a note that BMW Apps is not required for the reading of email/text messages. That is a feature of BMW Office and requires a phone that support the bluetooth Message Access Profile (Bluetooth MAP). iOS6 will support that profile. More details here
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
gerem
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post

Thanks
All you need to do:
- Activate BMW assist when you pick up your car;
- Download "My BMW Remote" app on your smartphone;
- Do a "Google search" with the app and send the info to your car;
- You can also send info to the vehicle from your computer (
).