BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #23
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marspilot View Post
I swear I thought I was going to go orbital over the very same door noises!!!!!! It was a super easy fix from my dealer. Apparently, there is a special Teflon tape strip modification that was designed originally for the 5 series sedans that fixed this problem for me immediately. Since there is a little tolerance gap with the window sill and frame etc, what I was hearing was flexing that took place at high or low rpm and sometimes almost sounded like rattle. I couldn't repeat if I drove over a bumpy road or speedbump.

Dealer put on the Teflon tape kit on each side. The tape runs along the whole door opening for both doors on both sides.
The car is spooky quiet now.
Let me know if you need a picture etc.

Hope this helps.

Marspilot
That sounds very much like the original 2004 X3 which had problems with door rattle.
I wonder why BMW seems to have such problems with doors across platforms.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #24
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
That sounds very much like the original 2004 X3 which had problems with door rattle.
I wonder why BMW seems to have such problems with doors across platforms.
My wife's 2010 E60 has it; my daughter's 2004 325i has it and I think it's beginning in my X3.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 08:08 PM   #25
mexxdude
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I noticed rattle sound coming from the button you press to shift gears on the side of the shift lever. When I touch the button, it has a bit give. Anyone notice that?

Last edited by mexxdude; 08-31-2011 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 04:09 AM   #26
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 GC 2.8i MSport

Terrible rattle on the drivers side door, not sure it the glass rattling or something in the door, but its quite load and pretty much constant now. Will take it in to get sorted when I can be bothered.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #27
medan
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
I have 2, one that is insignificant and one that is annoying.

The other though is annoying the sh*t out of me....it's the driver's side window. I do NOT have the issue of wind noise that others reported, but what I do have is what sounds like this very low level slight rattle of the glass...I've tracked it down to that. When the window is closed all the way it sounds like the glass it kinda rubbing against the plastic trim...its weird...when I push on the glass I can hear it too...it's very low volume but right at ear level so its right there. When I open the window past a certain point it goes away so I'm sure it's something to do with that. I have not taken it back to the dealer yet b/c I want to narrow the sound down enough that they don't say "we can't find it".

I'm guessing the fix may be either tightening the window (doubt they'll do that b/c they have to open up the door) or maybe putting some more foam up in where the window seals. we'll see....

Other than that it's tight as a drum.
Did you manage to fix the driver's side window sound? If you did, what was the solution? If I'm not imagining it, I think mine makes a very faint "clack clack" noise intermittently.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #28
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

no complaints in ours.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #29
Botwin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 WRX Limited

Still no rattles or squeaks in my 2012, after 1.5 months, and 3,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #30
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

I am very picky about these kinds of problems, and knock on wood, nothing yet. If I was experiencing rattles or noise I don't think the deal would like me very much. For those with problems I sure hope you get determine exactly what is causing the issue and can get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #31
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

I had a rattle coming from the center speaker and from sunroof. Dealer tried to fix both.

Center speaker got worse after they worked on it- rattle spread to the whole dashboard. Funny thing is, I pressed with my fingertip between the dashboard and top of the nav screen and rattle is gone. So, it was time for maybe the oldest method of stopping rattles : fold a paper to make it thick enough and insert it where you think noise is coming from . I folded a black business card into three or four and shoved it there right on top of the screen. No rattles from the dash since

About the sunroof, after dealer "fixed" it, it was gone for a week or two but then started at an even worse pace.

What is interesting, as many others mentioned it in this forum, classic rattle coming from the trunk cover when closed was obvious in mine from day 1 but lessened itself to disappear in time. For anyone keeping the cover open to not to hear the rattle, live with it for a while because I think where the cover is attached, parts tend to ease themselves a little with the friction as the car moves.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #32
degarfs
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ural View Post
I had a rattle coming from the center speaker and from sunroof. Dealer tried to fix both.

Center speaker got worse after they worked on it- rattle spread to the whole dashboard. Funny thing is, I pressed with my fingertip between the dashboard and top of the nav screen and rattle is gone. So, it was time for maybe the oldest method of stopping rattles : fold a paper to make it thick enough and insert it where you think noise is coming from . I folded a black business card into three or four and shoved it there right on top of the screen. No rattles from the dash since

About the sunroof, after dealer "fixed" it, it was gone for a week or two but then started at an even worse pace.

What is interesting, as many others mentioned it in this forum, classic rattle coming from the trunk cover when closed was obvious in mine from day 1 but lessened itself to disappear in time. For anyone keeping the cover open to not to hear the rattle, live with it for a while because I think where the cover is attached, parts tend to ease themselves a little with the friction as the car moves.
So Ural, you not getting the sunroof fix? Doesnt the squeaks annoys you?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #33
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I find that some vehicles like the Infiniti G35 (despite the wonderful exhaust note) seem to rattle after they give up trying to out-accelerate the X3 35i . . .
      02-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #34
nfs060
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 35i

Rattles coming from
Center speaker cover. removed myself and put soft part of velcro
LCD screen Loose
Front dash.
Rear trunk door
sunroof center Panel

All I have to say is that it ruins the driving experience when you have squeaks.
Dealer fixed LCD with shim, made adjustments to rest still making noise, they are truly a bunch of idiots.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #35
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
There are after market paint fixing gurus, dent fixing gururs, leather repair gurus, why no squeak and rattle gurus?

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #36
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by degarfs View Post
So Ural, you not getting the sunroof fix? Doesnt the squeaks annoys you?
Degarfs, I did have it fixed once more around first week of January when it was in for the third time due to the wind noise. Before, their "fix" on the sunroof lasted one or two weeks, but this time, right next day it restarted at a worse pace. Anyway , my oil change is about to be due, and I will leave the car at the dealer's for a while so that they can work on my issues. Until then I drive with the sunroof shade fully closed and music on so that I don't hear the squeak that much .
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #37
Nyrob
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 2.8xdrive

I have a nasty rattle coming from under dash. Seems worse at low speeds and I Also have a clicking noise coming from the rear not sure if it the tailgate. Its heading in soon. Also heavy condensation on passenger side xenon light housing and a malfunctioning oil level sensor. Feels like I driving my old gmc envoy again
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #38
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

That sounds like a drag. Hope they can (and do) fix those things!
      02-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #39
jsl1419
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i M sport

I even thought about switching my 3 months old X3 35i for rattle free Lexus RX 450h but decide to take off the trunk cover, closing sunroof cover and putting black felt into every suspicious gaps I found so far.

I don't even know how long I can handle it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 04:11 AM   #40
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

My x3 has gone to the dealers to have a few creaks looked at. These are primarily around the centre console and air vents, although I also have a rattle in the instrumental panel.

I have a 3 series loaner. One thing that is immediately obvious is actually it appears a lot more well made. The centre console between the seats doesn't move at all and around the radio the panels are solid. It also highlights how pants the lower door panels are in the x3.

It makes me feel a bit disappointed but then I go over a bump and the m sport wheels with low profile tyres might as well be made from wood such is the ride. And you can't see anything from down there. Plus I am already missing the I drive, nav, proper sport seats (not a good in the 3er) etc etc and I can't wait to get my car back.

Just hope they can make it less noisy.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 04:11 AM   #41
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

My x3 has gone to the dealers to have a few creaks looked at. These are primarily around the centre console and air vents, although I also have a rattle in the instrumental panel.

I have a 3 series loaner. One thing that is immediately obvious is actually it appears a lot more well made. The centre console between the seats doesn't move at all and around the radio the panels are solid. It also highlights how pants the lower door panels are in the x3.

It makes me feel a bit disappointed but then I go over a bump and the m sport wheels with low profile tyres might as well be made from wood such is the ride. And you can't see anything from down there. Plus I am already missing the I drive, nav, proper sport seats (not a good in the 3er) etc etc and I can't wait to get my car back.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #42
gblewis
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Unhappy X3 2011 28i Driver Wind noise

I have wind noise when my x3 goes over 40mph and the wind is heavy. I dealer saw that the only problem recorded was with the mirror. It has been 1 month since he order the new gaskets and they still have not arrived. So now I keep putting up with the high pitched wind noise
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #43
16s
Registered
Rep

Creaking, cracking and clicking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post

Hi,
I am also little disappointed that the interior build on my X3 feels cheaper than i thought it would. The most annoying thing for me at the moment is the plastic around the radio/cd player clicks and creaks as the temp in the car changes from cold to warm. Does anyone else have this problem? Even to the point that if i press the vol dial to mute the radio it actually makes the plastic around it produce a clicking/cracking sound as it all moves.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #44
degarfs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16s View Post
Hi,
I am also little disappointed that the interior build on my X3 feels cheaper than i thought it would. The most annoying thing for me at the moment is the plastic around the radio/cd player clicks and creaks as the temp in the car changes from cold to warm. Does anyone else have this problem? Even to the point that if i press the vol dial to mute the radio it actually makes the plastic around it produce a clicking/cracking sound as it all moves.

cheers
Did you send it back to the dealer?
Appreciate 0