BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #1
BostonJefe
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 28I XDrive

replacing my standard 2017 X3 28I halogen lights

First off, I am very disappointed that my 2017 X3 28I did not come standard with Xenon/LED headlights. My vehicle has every other option including the Xline package which gives you those nice seats with the X in the headrest that I saw people in this group discussing before I decided to Join. I have the upgraded 19" Rims, the cold weather package, safety and security package, heads up display and everything else I could ask for but no BMW hallow xenon lights which honestly really pisses me off!!

My question for you guys is why would BMW do this and how can I upgrade without breaking the bank? I would obviously love to upgrade to the full Xenon light package but those are $1500 per side from what I am seeing, so I am thinking of just doing a LED bulb upgrade but I dont know what ones to get, the correct wattage or the size needed. I also asked a BMW service desk guy and he said that its not possible to change the bulbs. I find that hard to believe. Can anyone help me navigate this project please? Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

This question gets discussed a lot. You can either run a search, or it gets discussed so much you could just start scrolling down the forum pages and read the threads.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 04:14 PM   #3
Ejryan10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 XDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJefe View Post
First off, I am very disappointed that my 2017 X3 28I did not come standard with Xenon/LED headlights. My vehicle has every other option including the Xline package which gives you those nice seats with the X in the headrest that I saw people in this group discussing before I decided to Join. I have the upgraded 19" Rims, the cold weather package, safety and security package, heads up display and everything else I could ask for but no BMW hallow xenon lights which honestly really pisses me off!!

My question for you guys is why would BMW do this and how can I upgrade without breaking the bank? I would obviously love to upgrade to the full Xenon light package but those are $1500 per side from what I am seeing, so I am thinking of just doing a LED bulb upgrade but I dont know what ones to get, the correct wattage or the size needed. I also asked a BMW service desk guy and he said that its not possible to change the bulbs. I find that hard to believe. Can anyone help me navigate this project please? Thank you in advance!
I've posted on this a couple times myself and I gotta day, I haven't found a satisfactory answer yet. I've seen someone post a thread on here where they found a relatively cheap replacement housing kit for about 450 bucks for both, but not sure I want to go that entire route. As for LED bulbs, I'm still on the lookout for someone to recommend what they've used myself.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 04:33 PM   #4
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x3, BMW x5

I used Philips X-tremeUltinon H7 they give very good light output and no glare, only downside is it's price.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 05:37 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Don't purchase a modern vehicle without modern light technology. But since you purchased a vehicle with antiquated lighting, to answer your question, there are some good LED bulb options. Selection is critical to get improved lighting without blinding on coming traffic. Expect to pay between $50 - $150. There are a ton of crap LED options so do your homework before investing. Check here
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #6
Ejryan10
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 XDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by willywi View Post
I used Philips X-tremeUltinon H7 they give very good light output and no glare, only downside is it's price.
Were these simply plug and play for halogens?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #7
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejryan10 View Post
You will need to code headlight type to led or else it will throw low beam malfunction error, the Bulb it self is plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:08 AM   #8
BostonJefe
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejryan10 View Post
Quote:
12 volt 55W?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #9
BostonJefe
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do I need to get two sets of bulbs? I'm assuming so but want to be sure. I see that they offer a cable for the Code error correction for $10. Thank you for this info!! 🏁
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #10
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJefe View Post
Do I need to get two sets of bulbs? I'm assuming so but want to be sure. I see that they offer a cable for the Code error correction for $10. Thank you for this info!! 🏁
If you need both high beam and low beam led then you will ned to buy 2 sets, one box comes with 2 bulb. Don't buy cable for removing error code it's useless you will need somthing like E-sys or Bimmercode to code headlight type to led and cold warnning off.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 01:31 PM   #11
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
Just one more reason I waited to find my X3 with the optional lighting package. It was totally worth it even though it took 6 months.

Note that there will be differences in how LED bulbs reflect light out onto the road. Your reflector bowls were designed for halogen filament bulbs, so even if LEDs may be "brighter" they may not direct that light optimally to where you need it: on the road but NOT in oncoming drivers' eyes.