BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
daveb56
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 Kia Sorento

looking to purchase 2013 to 2015 X3 Xdrive35i

Hi Everyone. I'm trying to find a 2013 to 2015 X3 Xdrive35i. I've owned a few bimmers before but never an X3. I looking for a car with Nav, satellite radio, heated seats and probably some of the key packages like tech, premium, sport etc... I'd like to pay 15K or less for the vehicle. I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance as to any specific issues these cars have. I'm looking at cars with less than 80K on them. Any comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Best regards, Dave.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #2
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x3, BMW x5

If you can find 6 cylinder at your price range buy it! don't buy the 4 cylinder one before 2015 those 4 cylinder engine have lot of problems especially timing chain guide issue on early production one. As for packages get xenon lights, halogen just looks awful retrofitting xenon light is very expensive and hard.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I think you're going to have trouble finding a vehicle in very good condition with the options you listed in that year range for less than $15k. Even the ones I looked at that were cosmetically acceptable, needed too much work to bring them up to the standard I would accept, though after a few months I did find a cream puff that checked all my boxes without requiring any work. There were so many out there that were just plain neglected.....so sad.

Issues: oil leaks, steering rack rattle, transfer case shudder, tail light LEDs, worn suspension components, interior water leaks, scratched nav screen anti-glare finish, glove box cover separation. Test every thing thoroughly. Good luck in your hunt.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
I think you're going to have trouble finding a vehicle in very good condition with the options you listed in that year range for less than $15k. Even the ones I looked at that were cosmetically acceptable, needed too much work to bring them up to the standard I would accept, though after a few months I did find a cream puff that checked all my boxes without requiring any work. There were so many out there that were just plain neglected.....so sad.

Issues: oil leaks, steering rack rattle, transfer case shudder, tail light LEDs, worn suspension components, interior water leaks, scratched nav screen anti-glare finish, glove box cover separation. Test every thing thoroughly. Good luck in your hunt.
I think those are not a big deal to fix, I got most of the expensive repairs Valvetronic actuator, oil filter housing, valve cover gasket, turbocharger, Vacuum pump, Turbo boost solenoid. I still have issue with transmission jerking which I will probably replace whole transmission at 100K miles. luckily I got the car dirt cheap no accident and I did most of the job my self, did some retrofit and it's still cheaper then getting lower mileage one with the options I retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 06:49 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by willywi View Post
I think those are not a big deal to fix, I got most of the expensive repairs Valvetronic actuator, oil filter housing, valve cover gasket, turbocharger, Vacuum pump, Turbo boost solenoid. I still have issue with transmission jerking which I will probably replace whole transmission at 100K miles. luckily I got the car dirt cheap no accident and I did most of the job my self, did some retrofit and it's still cheaper then getting lower mileage one with the options I retrofit.
You may not think all those issues are not a big deal to fix, but I wanted to answer the OP question by informing them OP about what type of issue these vehicles may have. Depending on how many problems there are, and the type of problems, it could cost several thousand dollars if you're paying someone to do the work. Several of the items you listed can add up to a huge expense.

If the OP doesn't know how to inspect and verify the condition of these types of issues, then a PPI by someone that knows these vehicles is highly recommended. The last thing you want is to spend $15k on a used vehicle, then need to invest another few thousand on repairs that you weren't expecting.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      01-29-2020, 07:19 PM   #6
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You may not think all those issues are not a big deal to fix, but I wanted to answer the OP question by informing them OP about what type of issue these vehicles may have. Depending on how many problems there are, and the type of problems, it could cost several thousand dollars if you're paying someone to do the work. Several of the items you listed can add up to a huge expense.

If the OP doesn't know how to inspect and verify the condition of these types of issues, then a PPI by someone that knows these vehicles is highly recommended. The last thing you want is to spend $15k on a used vehicle, then need to invest another few thousand on repairs that you weren't expecting.
Oops didn't see that he is looking for a 35i
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 07:26 PM   #7
willywi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Forget about what I said in previous post that's for the N20 engine. 35i have N55 engine which is pretty reliable, it's hard to find 2015 35i model for $15K that are less than 80K miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 09:36 AM   #8
daveb56
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 Kia Sorento

Thanks for the advice. I know I'll probably have to go with a 2012 to 2014 at the price I want to pay. Can you tell me if there is any appreciable differences in those years? Thanks, Dave.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 03:02 PM   #9
Greg2010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 sDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb56 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I know I'll probably have to go with a 2012 to 2014 at the price I want to pay. Can you tell me if there is any appreciable differences in those years? Thanks, Dave.
I have a 2013 X3 MSport 35i that is listed for sale in "marketplace" that loaded with options (including DHP) and is in great condition for $14,750 (and includes remaining ~ 2 year extended warrantee). Original owner....always garaged. Don't think you'll find one in better condition!

SOLD - 2013 X3 35i l BSM l MSport l DHP l Premium l Sound l Tech l CW/CWII l Apps l 35% Tint

SOLD - 2010 E92 335 X-drive l BSM l MSport l Steptronic l Premium l CW l Logic 7 l Confort l Nav l KW-V1s l 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 08:00 AM   #10
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
My general philosophy is buy the newest one with the lowest miles and the most options you can afford. That being said, some things to consider between the pre-LCI X3 years:

New for 2014
The X3 receives an updated version of iDrive for 2014, which includes a revised dial controller and new touchpad. Features like an auto-dimming rearview mirror, 40/20/40 split folding rear seat, and ambient lighting are included as standard equipment.

New for 2013
The M Sport package adds 19-inch alloys. New Driver Assistance Package includes Lane Departure Warning.

New for 2012
xDrive35i models get a panoramic moonroof as standard equipment. The optional 19-inch wheel upgrade is now bundled together with the Sport Activity package, and substitutes all-seasons for last year’s performance tire option. Heated front seats are now a stand-alone option, though heated rear seats must now be ordered as an upgrade to the Cold Weather package.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 01:41 PM   #11
BMWBadger
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
X3 for sale

Saw this 2013 with M-Sport listed in Chicago for $15.9k with 54k miles.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7849192813023/
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 09:23 PM   #12
EndoDoc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 35i MSport

I am in Arizona and mine is for sale as well, love the car.

https://sierravista.craigslist.org/cto/d/fort-huachuca-bmw-x3-30i-xdrive-m-sport/7065169394.html
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 08:54 PM   #13
Greg2010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 sDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg2010 View Post
I have a 2013 X3 MSport 35i that is listed for sale in "marketplace" that loaded with options (including DHP) and is in great condition for $14,750 (and includes remaining ~ 2 year extended warrantee). Original owner....always garaged. Don't think you'll find one in better condition!
[QUOTE=Greg2010;25748599]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]SOLD[/COLOR]

SOLD - 2013 X3 35i l BSM l MSport l DHP l Premium l Sound l Tech l CW/CWII l Apps l 35% Tint

SOLD - 2010 E92 335 X-drive l BSM l MSport l Steptronic l Premium l CW l Logic 7 l Confort l Nav l KW-V1s l 35% Tint
Appreciate 0