BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
eROCK
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

Garage List
Question Anyone installed an aftermarket panel air filter (like K&N)?

Hi guys,
Just curious if anyone here has installed an aftermarket panel air filter like the K&N? If so, did it make any difference? I've had many cars with those types of filters, and some respond better than others. Just curious if it's worth it on the F25 N20 (28i). I still have free maintenance, so I'll get a new factory filter from the dealer for free, but if the K&N makes a big difference on these engines, then I'll be willing to pay out of pocket for one. Usually they provide better throttle response, and a little better gas mileage, but like I said...some cars respond better than others.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

I would be interested. Can't seem to find any aftermarket intakes for the f25.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eROCK View Post
if the K&N makes a big difference on these engines, then I'll be willing to pay out of pocket for one. Usually they provide better throttle response, and a little better gas mileage.
Are you sure that's not from the fact that you are replacing a dirty filter with a clean one?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Fuel economy doesn't increase with a clean air filter.

Modern engines will adjust fuel based on how much air enters the engine. Dirty filter means less air which in turn means less fuel.

Drivability yes, fuel economy, No
      01-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

In that case, fuel economy will not improve with a K&N filter either. I guess what I am trying to say is that these performance air filter really do not do much. I had use them for years in the pass because they were reusable, but other than that, I felt no improvement in power or fuel efficiency. The throttle response was a bit better when the filter was new, but that was at the sacrifice of less filtration. I found that these high performance will clog up very fast, much faster than the OEM paper filters.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

My observation.

Years back there were many examples where better design of air filtration could improve an engine's performance. But since emissions and fuel economy have become the centre of attention OEM parts have had to conform to much better design and efficiencies.

Much harder these days to get any gains with such simple changes as a filter. If I had concerns of filtration losses, I'd just change more frequently.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
eROCK
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Are you sure that's not from the fact that you are replacing a dirty filter with a clean one?
Yes, I'm sure. I have had vehicles in the past with a factory filter (dirty), and replaced it with another factory filter (clean), and didn't feel much difference in the "butt dyno" if you know what I mean. So then I would put in a high flow filter like the K&N, and did actually feel a difference. It made a difference in my old Saturn SL2, not so much in my Ford Focus ZX3, and better throttle in my VW GTI. Since this filter is practically the only aftermarket performance mod thats available for my X3, I just wanted to know if anyone here has actually installed one.
I appreciate everyone chiming in with their theories, but I'm more interested in hearing from someone who has actually installed one on their X3. Did it make a difference or not?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure. I have had vehicles in the past with a factory filter (dirty), and replaced it with another factory filter (clean), and didn't feel much difference in the "butt dyno" if you know what I mean. So then I would put in a high flow filter like the K&N, and did actually feel a difference. It made a difference in my old Saturn SL2, not so much in my Ford Focus ZX3, and better throttle in my VW GTI. Since this filter is practically the only aftermarket performance mod thats available for my X3, I just wanted to know if anyone here has actually installed one.
I appreciate everyone chiming in with their theories, but I'm more interested in hearing from someone who has actually installed one on their X3. Did it make a difference or not?
A new K&N panel filter will let in more air when new, if you step on the gas the same amount as you use to, the mass air flow sensor will detect more air due to the new K&N, therefore the ECM will give it more gas to maintain the correct air to fuel ratio. What is really happening here is that you are not really gaining any horse power or saving any gas but what you have done is make the throttle more responsive. You can pretty do the same thing by stepping on the gas a little more. Some power will be gain at the very top rpms, but how many times do you really floor your car on a daily basis. Like I mention earlier, the K&N filter let more dirt into your combustion chamber and the filter itself will clog up faster than paper filters. The little gain on the very top end of the rpm for a few months is simply not worth the trade off of possible damage to the engine and the mass air flow sensors.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Intake is available

Quote:
Originally Posted by mge.92 View Post
I would be interested. Can't seem to find any aftermarket intakes for the f25.
http://www.burgertuning.com/f10_535i...ce_intake.html

Looks to me that bms has an intake out for our x3. I haven't installed it, but unless you have a tune it's not going to do anything but make maybe better sound, and that's straight from bms. I've got tune so may give it a shot at some point.
      02-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
eROCK
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This does me no good since the Burger is for the 35iX. I have the 28iX, and the only mod I've found so far is the K&N panel filter. Good find though...glad to see someone making stuff for the F25 platform...just wish they'd bring it to the N20 engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #11
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
This does me no good since the Burger is for the 35iX. I have the 28iX, and the only mod I've found so far is the K&N panel filter. Good find though...glad to see someone making stuff for the F25 platform...just wish they'd bring it to the N20 engine.
Sorry about that, but they did try out intakes on your engine and it yielded no gains so dumped project I believe because why introduce something with no gains. For your engine I'd stick with stock intake/filter from all posts I've read.
      02-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #12
eROCK
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks. That was the reason for this post, some engines are more responsive than others to air filters. It yields gains on your engine but not mine. That is why I was asking about the K&N panel filter. Curious if anyone has installed one on the 28i, and were there any gains, or a big waste of money?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 03:53 AM   #13
997paul
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M Sport

I've installed the burger air intake. Not sure if it increases power or responsiveness but it sounds good!
Appreciate 0