BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Nissan 350Z, 11 BMW X3

Keyless Entry

I am currently debating getting keyless entry. I do have a couple of reservations about it though. I tried it at the dealer and it didn't seem to work to well... I may not have been gripping the handle right...

My biggest fear is that I am moving next to an apartment building. The only problem with this is the parking. The parking garage is VALET ONLY. The keys are left in the car when ever it is not in use. Will this lock the car at any point if the keys are left inside for a certain period of time?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
sblove
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i

I leave my keys in the car whenever I park in the garage. Does not lock in my experience. Also, I don't think it will lock by the handle if the key is inside.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
guitarpath
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 35i

I briefly considered keyless entry, but in the end I opted against it. Either way, you won't have to put a key in an ignition.

I figured that pressing a button to unlock and lock my car really isn't a great inconvenience at all. Save yourself $500.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

There is maybe a couple of second delay to open it, I wouldn't pay extra for it, but I think it came in the prem pack for me. I would much rather just use the actual key to open/close because I like using the actual key to lock and not the door handle sensors anyways.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

car will not lock if a key is inside, which is really helpful just incase your left the key in the trunk and closed it!

Also if you don't get comfort access, don't you still need to put the key into a slot before hitting the start button? In my friends M3 he has a start/stop button but needs to insert the key first...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
.......Also if you don't get comfort access, don't you still need to put the key into a slot before hitting the start button? In my friends M3 he has a start/stop button but needs to insert the key first...
Nope. So long as you have the key fob with you, the car will start. No need to insert anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
ronsil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black e46

Car will lock with key inside car!

You have two keys. If one key is in the car, you can lock the car with the other key. I always do this and my wife keeps her keys in her purse as she likes to leave it in the trunk while shopping.

However, I must admit that the car can be locked even with one key in the car and no keys anywhere around the car. I had that happen to me once while I was at a gas station washing my car with the keys in. I went and grab the handle trying to open the door but touched the sensor and the door locked. I had to take a cab back to my house and grab the other key to unlock the car. However, this never happened again. I am sure that was an one off but it can still happen.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlbrad View Post
There is maybe a couple of second delay to open it, I wouldn't pay extra for it, but I think it came in the prem pack for me. I would much rather just use the actual key to open/close because I like using the actual key to lock and not the door handle sensors anyways.
There's no delay.
      05-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpath View Post
I briefly considered keyless entry, but in the end I opted against it. Either way, you won't have to put a key in an ignition.

I figured that pressing a button to unlock and lock my car really isn't a great inconvenience at all. Save yourself $500.
On a $50,000-ish car. 1/100. Still, $500 is $500 and if it doesn't matter to you, by all means don't get it. For me, I love the Comfort Access and use it all the time. Small percentage of the overall cost was well balance by how much I enjoy having it.
      05-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsil View Post
Car will lock with key inside car!

You have two keys. If one key is in the car, you can lock the car with the other key. I always do this and my wife keeps her keys in her purse as she likes to leave it in the trunk while shopping.

However, I must admit that the car can be locked even with one key in the car and no keys anywhere around the car. I had that happen to me once while I was at a gas station washing my car with the keys in. I went and grab the handle trying to open the door but touched the sensor and the door locked. I had to take a cab back to my house and grab the other key to unlock the car. However, this never happened again. I am sure that was an one off but it can still happen.
Hmmm, mine wouldn't allow the trunk to close if the key was in the trunk -- of course, I only know this 'cause I was dumb enough to put the key in my gym bag and try to close the trunk! Haven't tried locking it in the F25. Will have to do that.
      05-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Hmmm, mine wouldn't allow the trunk to close if the key was in the trunk -- of course, I only know this 'cause I was dumb enough to put the key in my gym bag and try to close the trunk! Haven't tried locking it in the F25. Will have to do that.
So we can get a real world test…..Wait for a dark rainy night when your parked in the middle of nowhere and make sure your cell phone’s in the car too.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
guitarpath
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
On a $50,000-ish car. 1/100. Still, $500 is $500 and if it doesn't matter to you, by all means don't get it. For me, I love the Comfort Access and use it all the time. Small percentage of the overall cost was well balance by how much I enjoy having it.
Perfectly valid. If you enjoy the feature, then that is great.

I agree that is a small price relative to the overall cost. However, there comes a time when you have to know which options are important to you and which ones aren't. With BMW, its very easy to take a very well equipped X3 3.5i for $52k and turn it into $58k with a myriad of options which you may or may not find useful in everyday driving. For example, navigation is important to me and I know I'll use and enjoy it, so I got it. Same for heated front seats/steering wheel. But other relatively inexpensive options (keyless entry, smartphone integration, heated back seats to name a few) I honestly would not have practical use for and thus I let them go.

btw, my wife has keyless entry in her Prius and when I drive it, I never even use that feature. But that is just me.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
My Murano had keyless entry and I LOVED it. Got it on the X3 as well. If it is working properly, it should NOT let you lock your key in the car without having the second key there to do it. The Murano would chime like crazy letting you know the key fob was still in the vehicle and the doors would not lock.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
My Murano had keyless entry and I LOVED it. Got it on the X3 as well. If it is working properly, it should NOT let you lock your key in the car without having the second key there to do it. The Murano would chime like crazy letting you know the key fob was still in the vehicle and the doors would not lock.
Yeah my old Mazda speed 6 wouldnt let you lock them in the car, strange a BMW does.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:08 PM   #15
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
Quote:
.......Also if you don't get comfort access, don't you still need to put the key into a slot before hitting the start button? In my friends M3 he has a start/stop button but needs to insert the key first...
Nope. So long as you have the key fob with you, the car will start. No need to insert anything.
When did this start? My parents have a 2011 x5 and have to put in the key even with start button.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #16
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
So we can get a real world test…..Wait for a dark rainy night when your parked in the middle of nowhere and make sure your cell phone’s in the car too.
Sounds like you know me already . . .
      05-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #17
ssn007
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Spoiled maybe, but I wouldn't buy a car again without keyless entry. No fudging around in pocket for key / controller. Touch handle and instant open, or close. Had it on my 335 and will never go back.

Drove off lot with new car last Saturday and could not get back to go down and lock at school track meet! Well had second key in back back so would not lock? Gate actualy went back up! took a while to figure out what was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #18
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblove View Post
I leave my keys in the car whenever I park in the garage. Does not lock in my experience. Also, I don't think it will lock by the handle if the key is inside.
BMW responded to many owner complaints about locking the keys in the car. If the key is detected in the car after it is locked via either the trunk button or the doorhandle sensor, the car will automatically unlock and you will get a message on the dashboard that you've left your key.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 02:03 AM   #19
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
When did this start? My parents have a 2011 x5 and have to put in the key even with start button.
All I know is that you don't need to insert a key to start the F25. Don't know anything about the X5, I'm afraid.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 03:21 AM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

If you think about it, it is not an easy thing to detect whether or not the key is actually inside the vehicle or in your pocket or bag when you stand at the door and touch the handle to lock it. The technology probably isn't quite good enough yet so it will get it wrong sometimes, particularly if the key is a distance from the dash, but still inside.

There's a few threads on 3 series forums about comfort access not working properly and drivers having to literally hold the key up to the door when it fails to work and the next day, the car unlocking from across the street.

I can see the attraction if it works properly but keyless start is enough for me. Comfort access is also less secure, but only to professional thieves really

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #21
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
All I know is that you don't need to insert a key to start the F25. Don't know anything about the X5, I'm afraid.
hmmm, I wonder if this is a UK only thing, because on the US site, under the comfort access option it says you can unlock your doors with key in pocket and this option also allows you to turn the engine on and off with the start/stop button without inserting the key first. Strange they would say that if you don't need the key without this option...

but again it would not surprise me if this is a UK vs US spec difference.
To me if the car already can turn on without inserting the key the comfort access option isn't that useful for $500, I will have to check out a model with and without this option to see.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #22
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Nissan 350Z, 11 BMW X3

Mako- it's a global thing. All 2011 X3's have push to start you dont have to insert the key anywhere

The bmwusa website is all kinds of messed up. I mean under the Msport package it lists paddle shifters twice! Also according to the website dynamic damper control doesn't even exist.... We all know it either comes with the Msport or dynamic handling package...
Appreciate 0