BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
JordanWindebank
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 20d (2011)

Talking And the wait is over... (now with pics)

Today I finally took delivery of my new 20d and it was so worth the wait. Has been on order for what seems like forever and I was extremely grateful to see it came exactly as ordered and in perfect working order.

Specs:
  • Alpine White
  • Oyster Leather
  • Fineline Wave
  • Moonroof
  • Xenon's
  • Pro Nav
  • Top View
  • Lights Package
  • Anti-Dazzle Mirrors
  • Bluetooth with voice control
  • Titanium Grill

I have done about 200km's in it today and my initial thoughts are:

Good
  1. Comfort - Moving from the Territory this car is just simply luxurious to drive. It is comfortable to sit in and just feels "right".
  2. Interior Lights - I had been driving mostly in full daylight and only when I headed out tonight did I truly understand the wonderfully subtle difference these add to the whole experience of being in the car. The faint orange ambience right throughout the car just gave it that extra feeling of class, especially with the oyster leather. I highly recommend this to anyone for the small price.
  3. Xenon's - I've never been in a car with LED lights before but have always admired them on Audi's and other BMW's on the road. I was surprised by the difference they make to visibility and can't wait to see how they hold up when doing long drives on unlit highways. Now I understand why everyone on here recommends these as a must have.
  4. Sound System - I decided not to upgrade the sound system as I was already stretching the budget but I am generally impressed with the sound quality of the base model. Again coming from a Territory where the sound system is completely basic, perhaps anything would be a step up.

Bad
  1. Music Selection - This is probably my only true gripe with the car. I like to change my music often and I found it extremely annoying to change albums whilst driving and it took a fair bit of time taking my eyes off the road. If I have the navigation up on my main screen then I need to make the following steps to select a new album from my iPhone: CD button > Left > New Search > All Albums > Scroll Through (Long) List > Click > Playlist > Click. Surely an easier way to do this without initiating another search?
  2. Navigation - I tried today setting a destination that was only partway to where I was going. Once I reached the destination I was unable to stop it from telling me I was going the wrong way even though I explicitly told the Nav system to end the directions. Am I missing something? Is this a bug? Any workarounds?
  3. Voice Control - The voice control system just can't understand when I try to pick people from my phonebook. My wife's name is Jacqui and when I would say "Jacqui Windebank" it will come back with a different response each time, ranging from "Troy", "Keith" and even "Voicemail". Had a similar experience trying to control the navigation to input a new destination by voice. Does the voice system learn over time? If not I do not see me using this very often.
  4. Engine Noise - Not really a complaint but was surprised at how the little diesel engine sounded like a truck from outside of the car when idling. Not sure what I expected, but didn't notice this when I test drove the car.

Overall I absolutely love the car and can't wait to spend some more time taking it out and getting to know it. One very happy camper here! Will try and post some photos in the coming days.

Last edited by JordanWindebank; 08-30-2011 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Congratulations on your new X3!

Music Collection navigation is really poorly design IMO. Clearly designed by someone who has never actually used an MP3 player.

Navigation bug is also annoying. Workaround is to add a favourite button that is Start Guidance, then press this button twice to cancel it (start and stop guidance). This clears the annoying arrow.

Didnt expect voice control to be any good and it isn't. Unless the system can learn the user's voice it will never work well enough to be of any use. It does make some amusing mistakes sometimes for entertainment value

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
JordanWindebank
Private
Rep

Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping I was doing something stupid with regards to the music playback, what a shame it is just poorly designed. One of the worst music interfaces I've come across in the past 5 years. BMW need to outsource the music interface development to apple.

Will set up the shortcut for nav tomorrow, thanks. I don't mind a small workaround as long as I can fix it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive 35i

You can use "Bluetooth Audio"... it does not display the album and track info on the screen.. u hav to control from the phone.. but it is way easier to browse thro the albums than idrive!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Congratulations, Jordan. I'm so glad you like your new X3 so much - it's making me all the more excited to get mine! Many thanks for taking the time to post your first impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz View Post
You can use "Bluetooth Audio"... it does not display the album and track info on the screen.. u hav to control from the phone.. but it is way easier to browse thro the albums than idrive!
To be honest, I'm not exactly blown over by the Apple iPod interface either. I usually just put my iPod/phone on shuffle when I use it in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
Congratulations, Jordan. I'm so glad you like your new X3 so much - it's making me all the more excited to get mine! Many thanks for taking the time to post your first impressions.

To be honest, I'm not exactly blown over by the Apple iPod interface either. I usually just put my iPod/phone on shuffle when I use it in the car.

I do the same too.. but, it atleast goes back to the album in which you are... rather than start at the top of the list everytime like idrive... such a pain in the a**!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz View Post
I do the same too.. but, it atleast goes back to the album in which you are... rather than start at the top of the list everytime like idrive... such a pain in the a**!
Yes, that does sound like major PITA!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Congrats Jordan!

Share some photos, especially the interior.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
JordanWindebank
Private
Rep

Pics.

IMG_0174 by Jordan Windebank, on Flickr

IMG_0175 by Jordan Windebank, on Flickr

IMG_0178 by Jordan Windebank, on Flickr

IMG_0180 by Jordan Windebank, on Flickr

IMG_0181 by Jordan Windebank, on Flickr

IMG_0182 by Jordan Windebank, on Flickr

IMG_0183 by Jordan Windebank, on Flickr

IMG_0184 by Jordan Windebank, on Flickr

IMG_0185 by Jordan Windebank, on Flickr

IMG_0187 by Jordan Windebank, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Looks good. That's the same color combo I ordered.

I was a little nervous having the white interior and exterior. Are you happy with it? No regrets?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #11
Polar_Bimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 (F25) xDrive 28i

Congrats Jordan !
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
JordanWindebank
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
I was a little nervous having the white interior and exterior. Are you happy with it? No regrets?
No regrets at all, I love the colour combo.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 01:24 AM   #13
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Congtats,
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 01:50 AM   #14
Mardoq
Rep
Drives: Audi a5

Nice ride.

That titanium grill makes a nice difference. Think I will have to add that to the list. Are those the standard wheels btw?

Anyway - enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 02:39 AM   #15
JordanWindebank
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardoq View Post
Nice ride.

That titanium grill makes a nice difference. Think I will have to add that to the list. Are those the standard wheels btw?

Anyway - enjoy the car!
Yep, these are the standard wheels on the 20d.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 03:05 AM   #16
junC
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d, '11 STI

Congrats and enjoy your car Jordan!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 03:43 AM   #17
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Looks great, Jordan. I've ordered the same interior combo.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 06:48 AM   #18
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Nice motor - do you have std rubber window edging or the gloss - I can't qite see from the images. I thought the std 17" ers were only EU spec. as the US mkt std 17" are different
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 07:18 AM   #19
richardew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 x335i

Very nice. White on white. No eating or drinking withing 50' of your X3. LOL

'96 911 C4 Cab (276,000 1 owner smiles)
'11 X3 35i Black Sapphire/Beige,SAP, CP, CWP, DHP, PREM, TECH, Sat radio, Hi Fi, BMW apps, smartphone, 19" w/mixed performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 08:52 AM   #20
tagz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

btw, I have the same interior color
Appreciate 0