BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-18-2011, 04:22 AM   #45
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Have anyone noticed that all the press cars being used for magazine reviews have had VDC and BMW have not brought along a car without to make a comparision for obvious reasons!!! $$$$$ ker ching! On the new 5, it makes a big difference (according to journos) when pressing on and thus a good option.
I think all 5er BMWUK press cars are fitted either w/VDC or Dynamic Drive. I don't think any magazines in UK have tested extensively cars with either standard SE-spec suspension or sports suspension on cars with M-pkg.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 04:30 AM   #46
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey81 View Post
I'd say that VDC is not an "essential" option. I think the basic idea is flawed, with the normal, sport and sport+ settings. This is especially true if you are going for the any of the dieselversions.

I think if the option was connected to air suspension, and affected the ride height and was setup with "comfort, normal, sport" it would actually make sense. As you have now, the normal setting is no more comfortable than the standard suspension, and even sport+ the difference is hardly noticeable.

Fun gimmick, but in most case adds none/little value.
In that case it's highly probable that the optional M-tech suspension (std w/M-pkg) for the new X3 is good enough as a substitute for VDC as they share all components apart from the dampers.
As VDC only allows 2 damping settings (normal & sport), it's likely the M suspension uses damping rates that are similar to what sport setting is on the VDC. So far, all we know is there's not much difference between normal & sport with VDC, so we can assume the M suspension will not affect ride quality that much as it's just=VDC set permanently to sport setting.
Btw, if u order M suspension then it comes with "Performance Control", which is sort of like a e-lsd.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #47
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
In that case it's highly probable that the optional M-tech suspension (std w/M-pkg) for the new X3 is good enough as a substitute for VDC as they share all components apart from the dampers.
As VDC only allows 2 damping settings (normal & sport), it's likely the M suspension uses damping rates that are similar to what sport setting is on the VDC. So far, all we know is there's not much difference between normal & sport with VDC, so we can assume the M suspension will not affect ride quality that much as it's just=VDC set permanently to sport setting.
Btw, if u order M suspension then it comes with "Performance Control", which is sort of like a e-lsd.
Agreed!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #48
Dobs
Rep
Drives: F25 xdrive20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
There seems to a lot of nonsense written here. Reference an earlier thread that explains the difference between normal, sport and sport + (yes three settings not two with VDC) and fixed dampers. Unfortunaltely not tested both VDC and fixed (dynamic pack or normal) back to back but can confirm the following.

VDC Normal gives a magic carpet ride, great on Motorway and good for general punting around most roads. Sport sharpend up the dampers and/or gearbox (configurable in idrive - I select only chassis to kep economical gearbox settings) and makes a good diffrence on country lanes or where there a lots of roundabouts, downside is feeling the hiogh frequecy patter on motorway expansion joints. Sport plus (not configurable), holds higher revs (put it into tiptronic to get around this) and controls body movement really well on twisty B roads. I do find that I change between Normal and Sport quite a lot. A toy yes, but a good one (bit like most other options - if you can't find your way around the UK without sat nav then be ashamed - nice toy though and I wouldn't mine it if I had £2.5k to burn).
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #49
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobs View Post
There seems to a lot of nonsense written here. Reference an earlier thread that explains the difference between normal, sport and sport + (yes three settings not two with VDC) and fixed dampers. Unfortunaltely not tested both VDC and fixed (dynamic pack or normal) back to back but can confirm the following.

VDC Normal gives a magic carpet ride, great on Motorway and good for general punting around most roads. Sport sharpend up the dampers and/or gearbox (configurable in idrive - I select only chassis to kep economical gearbox settings) and makes a good diffrence on country lanes or where there a lots of roundabouts, downside is feeling the hiogh frequecy patter on motorway expansion joints. Sport plus (not configurable), holds higher revs (put it into tiptronic to get around this) and controls body movement really well on twisty B roads. I do find that I change between Normal and Sport quite a lot. A toy yes, but a good one (bit like most other options - if you can't find your way around the UK without sat nav then be ashamed - nice toy though and I wouldn't mine it if I had £2.5k to burn).
VDC only have 2 settings (normal & sport), it's both mentioned in one of the threads here as well as in the owner's handbook (page 88).
The customisation of throttle/steering/dampers (if VDC is fitted) settings have nothing to do with VDC - it's with the Driver Dynamic Control (i.e. the Sport/Normal switch). DDC comes as standard if u specify either a.)Sport Auto gearbox, b.) VDC or c.) Variable Sports Steering (not sports steering wheel). So if u optioned sport auto then u can configure the combination of steering setting & throttle setting, but not dampers. Dampers can be customised only if the car comes with VDC. Sport+ setting is there as long as DDC is fitted, VDC is not a prerequisite. The main difference between Sport+ & Sport is Sport+ switches off DSC, leaving only DTC on (as well as other throttle/steering mapping changes, but not change in damper settings).
From the parts catalogue, VDC & M-tech suspension uses the same springs & front+rear anti-roll bars - the only difference is the dampers. Referencing an earlier poster saying he/she didn't feel much difference between normal & sports setting regarding VDC (not DDC), then M-tech suspension offers much better vfm as it handles the same as VDC in sport yet ride quality does not deteriorate much.
Again, referencing an earlier poster, this system does not involve air-springs & ARS & so it's capabilities are limited as both spring & rollbar rates are fixed in relation to the dampers.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #50
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

To back up what Dobs has written here, a forum member has driven Normal with no VDC and normal with VDC and reported a significant improvement in the ride comfort over bumpy roads. It is specifically designed to dynamically change based on the road surface and would be pretty useless technology if it made no difference at all. I considered it for a long time but didn't get it because of the massive cost of the other options that I wanted, not because I didn't want it. I was interested more for the damping in Normal mode, not so much for the Sport/Sport+

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #51
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
To back up what Dobs has written here, a forum member has driven Normal with no VDC and normal with VDC and reported a significant improvement in the ride comfort over bumpy roads. It is specifically designed to dynamically change based on the road surface and would be pretty useless technology if it made no difference at all. I considered it for a long time but didn't get it because of the massive cost of the other options that I wanted, not because I didn't want it. I was interested more for the damping in Normal mode, not so much for the Sport/Sport+
I'm more interested in sport mode & it's effect on ride quality, as I'll more often than not leaving it at that setting if ride is not affected too much, which in that case getting M-sport suspension will be more suitable.
In some markets, such as Asian & Nordic countries, taxes on cars are exhorbitant & so options have to be carefully considered. In my case if I get M-tech suspension then it will cost around GBP650 incl tax, on the other hand VDC will cost me ca. GBP2.2k incl tax. The vfm factor weighs heavily in this case. Another factor is maintanence, those VDC dampers cost an arm & a leg come replacement time. It's all fine & well if the car is leased etc etc, but for some of us it's also a big consideration.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #52
Dobs
Rep
Drives: F25 xdrive20d

VDC

Clarence,

Weel in the UK VDC comes with Normal, Sport and Sport, unless you are telling me that by speccing servotronic and performance control has added sport+ but thats not the case with option 223 having al 3 modes. Steering does change noticeably from Normal to Sport, very nice. Can't discern a change when going into sport+
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #53
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobs View Post
Clarence,

Weel in the UK VDC comes with Normal, Sport and Sport, unless you are telling me that by speccing servotronic and performance control has added sport+ but thats not the case with option 223 having al 3 modes. Steering does change noticeably from Normal to Sport, very nice. Can't discern a change when going into sport+
U'll get Normal, Sport & Sport+ when u have DDC (i.e. the normal/sport switch), regardless of whether u got DDC via VDC, Variable Sports Steering (not servotronic on it's own) or Sport Automatic gearbox. So if u have DDC then 3 modes, no DDC then no modes. Performance Control can be had on it's own or it's included if u order VDC, Variable Steering, or M-tech suspension. If u have Performance control but not any of 223, 2TB, 226 or 2VL, then still no modes as DDC is not fitted.
The main difference between Sport & Sport+ is the switching off of stability control, the traction control remains on unless u manually turn it off.
According to the owner's manual I got, VDC only has Normal & Sport settings, so even if u select Sport+ via DDC the dampers remain only in Sport mode as there's no Sport+ mode for the dampers. What does it say in ur UK-spec manual?

Last edited by clarence; 04-18-2011 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0