BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #23
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Comparing a SUV to a E92 is simply the most ridiculous thing I have heard.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #24
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

I own a 2008 Acura RDX , 2007 e92 335i coupe, and a 2011 X3. I have also driven multiple X3 models in different configurations and packages. Here is my take below:
Our RDX 4cyl turbo was loaded with the technology package and other accessories were purchased as well on top of that. My initial thought on the RDX when we bought it was that interior was a better quality in the black version than tan. The dash board looked nicer in the black version with the silver combination than the tan. The overall acceleration was okay but there was a lot of lag down low, even with the scroll turbo. I noticed that I would drive it more in the sport setting (computer controlled) most of the time, but I also noticed it was not possible to keep it in sport (computer controlled) on the freeway since the gear would stay in 3rd at max until a paddle shift into a higher gear was commanded. I found this annoying at first but genuinely helpful in regular driving for quick acceleration. The brakes were definitely an afterthought on Acura’s part. The RDX feels heavier than the brakes can cope with. I would catch myself surprised after changing from one vehicle to the RDX when coming to a stop for the first time. Handling for the RDX was better than expected as they implemented the SH-AWD. I noticed that it would handle my aggressive driving style around curves, but I knew not to push it too hard as it was still an SUV. Unfortunately, miles per gallon were not achieved as per the sticker. We were more along the lines of 19mpg combined or worse. As for maintenance, almost zero issues. We have an intermittent problem with the steering wheel volume button where the volume only goes up when volume down is pressed. We have around 65,000 miles and we have only needed to change the oil and buy tires, and a battery.

Our 335i E92 coupe 6-speed was equipped with sport package, cold weather, adaptive headlights, parking sensors, ambient lighting, sun screen, auto wipers etc etc. The only real important one to me was sport suspension and seats. I bought it with black interior and the leather has held up way better than the Acura. The interior took a while to get accustomed to. It was my first BMW so it seemed a bit plain inside for the price. After owning it for a while I noticed the functionality of the orange gauges, knob placement, seat bolsters, and much more. Although I never ate in the car, I hated the drink holders. It couldn’t hold anything, and continues to spill my coffee under any acceleration. Despite the weight of the coupe, at almost the same weight as the RDX, it felt fast and accelerated at a higher rate with no detectable lag. The 6-speed gear box was very good in regular weather but in really cold weather would feel a bit sticky in gears until it warmed up. The braking capability of the E92 was above and beyond coming from the RDX or any other car I had driven before. That initial bite of the OEM brakes was like an extra reassurance that if I drove the car fast, it could stop too. The OEM run-flats were a first for me, and a last. Although it felt like it handled on rails, the bumps in the road felt like curbs with those run-flats. I have taken the car around curves and had no issue at all , or even a scary surprise, even when pushed at maximum. The car behaves well with DTC on. It is slightly more exciting with it off, but as everyone has stated before, “ just leave it on when you are not on the track”. As for miles per gallon, it was about right on what the sticker said. I have had some issues, but mainly with the belt butler, angel eye bulb , squeaking of the steering column ( fixed under warranty), cup holder, and the dreaded turbo waste gate rattle ( fixed under warranty). The cost was much higher with this vehicle as the parts are high cost. Replacement of coils and plugs can set you back hundreds; If you had to pay for turbo replacement, thousands. I still have under 49,000 miles and the car looks great in and out, like new. I did feel that it was in the shop more than the RDX….. because it was.

Our 2011 X3 was chosen over the 2011 550i. I initially wanted to buy a 4 door sedan because I wanted the power of a V8-turbo and didn’t want to feel bad for trading in my manual 6-speed coupe, but I knew I really needed something more functional. I was confused what to buy. I was all over the place. I had a choice to save gas (with a 4cyl X3) or go all out and get what I want (6-Cyl Turbo sport). So I drove all the models on the lot (not just X3s). Okay so here is the review. The interior was spot on to what I was use to in the RDX. Also, I was very happy that the steering wheel was a lot nicer than some previous SUVs (X5) . The reason I bring up the steering wheel is because I have to look at it every time I get in and drive. Anyway, the 4cyl X3 base-model was equal to the RDX 4cyl on acceleration, and the braking was equally scary. I actually got out and looked at the brakes after almost rear-ending someone to see if they had different brakes. They were smaller and I couldn’t figure out why BMW would sacrifice that feature on the 4cyl version. I was done with that base X3. I moved on to the loaded 6-cyl turbo. This thing is loaded. More on par to what I was expecting with the sport package seats, cold weather heated seats rear and front and heated steering, comfort access, premium package, heads-up display, Navigation, lighting package, DHP, parking sensors , and I’m sure by now you get the idea. The interior with white stitching on the black leather gave that wow factor to me and all my passengers. This model has the single turbo N55 paired with the DCT transmission. All I can say is wow. Fast acceleration in “ D” mode, faster acceleration in “S” and no delay in “M” modes due to the pedal %. In sport mode, the steering gets tighter, suspension stiffens up and the side bolsters on the seats almost give me that feeling of my coupe, except I can see further ahead in traffic. I feel as safe as I do in my coupe when going around corners since the X3 has AWD. The run-flats give that stiff feeling around corners as well, but regular bumps in the road are not as harsh as was with my coupe. As for the miles per gallon, it was around 19 or 20 combined with my driving style . Some issues I had with the X3 was the steering rack replacement due to the knuckle clanking, the navigation went blank once, a signal light went out but came back on after startup ( light malfunction indication), and somehow my driver’s side headlight adjusted up. Overall the main issue with the car is the steering rack. It probably has something to do with the style of driving expected of the heavy SUV. I also tend to want to take my X3 more than the coupe when my kids and wife want to go out, and I am noticing that I am putting more miles on it as days pass. Don’t get me wrong, I love my coupe, but I am one of those that is captivated by beauty of a new model with all its new smell, gadgets, and accessories that my coupe is missing. And if Acura made the RDX with better leather, horsepower, brakes, and some cool technology, then I would be all for it. But at this time, I would have to say that the X3 beat out both of the other vehicles I own.