BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
sezb51
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

start-stop & air-conditioner...

Hello,

I have a X3 since 3 weeks now.

I noticed that sometime when I'm at traffic light with engine off by start-stop function, it automatically ignite (usually after 2-3 minutes). Could be the air-conditioner forcing that to prevent too much battery drain ?

That would also explain a really weird thing happened a couple of weeks ago at the gas station....
...I was at gas station, thinking the car was powered off but after I paid and went back to the car I found it with the engine on.
I was very surprised and I have not stopped thinking on what could have cause that. I admit that I was having both start-stop and auto-hold active on a automatic gear transmission X3, so basically I've been able to remove my foot from brake pedal and I guess I went out of the car while the engine was still on "standby" thinking it was off. I remember also that before going to pay I put a hand in my pocket trying to lock the car with the remote but evidently I might have missed the button.
Anyway... when I come back the engine running and the door was unlocked ....

Any thoughts ?

Thx,
A.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
A/C.
Yes - it turns the engine back on to start up the compressor again if the temperature rises in the cabin. Possibly only matters in hot places where she heats up quicker. For heating in cold places, the residual heat in the radiators would do the job with the cabin ventilation without having to hit up the compressor of the A/C.

Getting out?
I have tested it. As soon as I open the door and move the key away from the proximity sensor with the start stop function having been activated, the car switches off the engine.
Haven't tested it exactly to see if it is the key moving away from the sensor or the actual door being opened that triggers it, but I imagine it is triggered by either of these events happening.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0