BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
MrFargo13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i M-Sport/2011 328i

Recently, on a business trip to Detroit, a friend showed me how she uses Google maps and its Turn by Turn Voice instructions on her iPhone. Since both our cars have Navi, it hasn't been a priority to learn how to use Google Maps navigation yet. Well yesterday I decided to try it out on a short local trip just to see how it works and when I started my trip, the voice instructions were picked up by the Bluetooth in my wife's 328 and broadcast over the car speakers just like the BMW navi-wench's voice. This was a pleasant surprise since I thought I would have to turn the volume all the way up on my iPhone to be able to hear it. So if anyone is not sure about spending the thousands extra on the BMW navigation system, you aren't missing all that much if you use Google Maps.

Maybe this will help someone save a little money on their next car and keep them from feeling bad about passing on the BMW Navi.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Nice find. Unfortunately I only took the basic telephone bluetooth version and not the one that allows streaming audio
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Tangsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 x3 M40i

That's my biggest regret about my X3.

Should have passed on Nav and gotten M-sport instead... I find Google Maps navigation on my android to be 10x better than BMW navigation. It's easier to input addresses/searches, POIs are always up to date, Google shows live traffic and picks the fastest route.

Sometimes I'll just search locations on my Nexus 4 and place it right over my iDrive screen just to avoid the hassle of inputting into the BMW nav.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Skingle@tx.rr.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28

Good point. I did get the Nav system and, I'm assuming you know, that you can upload from Google maps to the Nav system in the car. However, it only uploads the destination address and not the turn by turn. I hope that gets fixed on the next revision. Also, I like having the speed limits shown on my iphone Nav, which the onboard system currently doesn't show.
Appreciate 0