BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
ctski1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328, 2017 X1

How much do you love your NAV?

Recently (not in production yet) I placed an order for a shiny new X3 to replace my ‘aging’ ’08 335xi coupe. The coupe has everything except for NAV.
I’ve managed to live without NAV for three years now, so not having it wouldn’t kill me at this point.
I know that it’s cool, and looks great, and that it’s very entertaining to play with it when you get a chance, but does it really make your life easier by $3K?

I’ve been in IT all my life, so I don’t get supper dazzled by new technology at any level.

Please help! I would like your opinions on weather I should or should not order NAV in the X3.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctski1 View Post
Recently (not in production yet) I placed an order for a shiny new X3 to replace my ‘aging’ ’08 335xi coupe. The coupe has everything except for NAV.
I’ve managed to live without NAV for three years now, so not having it wouldn’t kill me at this point.
I know that it’s cool, and looks great, and that it’s very entertaining to play with it when you get a chance, but does it really make your life easier by $3K?

I’ve been in IT all my life, so I don’t get supper dazzled by new technology at any level.

Please help! I would like your opinions on weather I should or should not order NAV in the X3.
My previous M3 had Nav. When I ordered my new X3, I left Nav off. I found I did not use the Nav system when I had it, and felt I could live without it.

If I were reordering, the only reason I would add Nav would be for resale.

But I'm a bit of a Luddite...
      10-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

well you get more than the NAV for $3,000, you also get real time traffic, rear camera with top view, park distance control.

the nav alone is $2150

before our recent two cars I thought I would never spend $2K for NAV in a car when you could buy a portable one (which my wife had 10 years ago) for $100 now or get for free with the purchase of some tires Both our cars came with it (one was a demo and the other was a heavily discounted dealer stock car that was fully loaded), so we didn't look at it as a $2K cost in either case. We don't use NAV every day, in fact I might use it once a week at most and probably don't even need to that much, BUT you do use it more because you have it, stuck in traffic, browse the map for alternate routes, hungry, look for nearby restaurants... we are now spoiled by it and can't see getting a car without it, especially once you are in the $40K plus segment, if $25K cars have it, how does a $50K car without it look? you will get some of that $2K back when you trade it in too, normally about $1K more than cars without it. BMW is smart by integrating so much into the NAV system and giving you that huge screen with it, makes it a lot more tempting option. To me it just makes the car feel more like a $50K car. kind of like the M Sport package, I was going back and fourth on that, but then figured I am already at $54,000 whats another $1250 over the SAP to make it look that much better... I guess it all depends on your budget and negotiating skills.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I agree with Mako. Also, not that you have a basis for comparison, but the new Nav is much better than the previous generation. Even though the X3 comes with iDrive, you get more functionality and features with iDrive when you get Navigation, as well as the larger screen.

Having it integrated into the car is a plus for me, as opposed to bringing my Garmin with me, then hiding it away so some crack addict doesn't break a window for it... and all that.

One feature that I absolutely love (though I will say it took some time and effort to get BMW to make it function) is the ability for you or anyone to send a Google Map direction to your vehicle. No more taking a scrap of paper into the car and entering it manually. Also nice that others can send it in case there is a change of destination plan while you are en route.

The one thing I'm disappointed about is that you cannot see live weather information on your map. Ford has this feature and it rocks. BMW is always playing catch-up when it comes to technology systems.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
ctski1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I agree with Mako. Also, not that you have a basis for comparison, but the new Nav is much better than the previous generation. Even though the X3 comes with iDrive, you get more functionality and features with iDrive when you get Navigation, as well as the larger screen.

Having it integrated into the car is a plus for me, as opposed to bringing my Garmin with me, then hiding it away so some crack addict doesn't break a window for it... and all that.

One feature that I absolutely love (though I will say it took some time and effort to get BMW to make it function) is the ability for you or anyone to send a Google Map direction to your vehicle. No more taking a scrap of paper into the car and entering it manually. Also nice that others can send it in case there is a change of destination plan while you are en route.

The one thing I'm disappointed about is that you cannot see live weather information on your map. Ford has this feature and it rocks. BMW is always playing catch-up when it comes to technology systems.
I didn't know about the Google Map sending capability. That is an awesome function, too often lacking in other NAVs.
Thanks for the heads-up.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
I didn't know about the Google Map sending capability. That is an awesome function, too often lacking in other NAVs.
Thanks for the heads-up.
For me the ability to send a destination to the car is one of the things I love about the Nav option.

There are certainly pros and cons, for example my portable Garmin has better maps, but the seamless integration, big display and ease of use (not having to mount it every time I want to use it) outweighs the negatives for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
The feature from google maps is so cool - i use it all the time - CTski1 - at the top of this forum there are some sticky's one has a link to a bunch of online video's BMW posted on how to do various things on the X3 (21st century owners manual in addition to the print version in pdf...)

anyway the last video shows the google maps and how to use it - pretty easy.

Also, what Mako said about the whole tech package - besides NAV i thinkg the rear view/top view and parking sensors are so worthwhile - i find them of more value than the NAV personally. consider adding tech package to your order if the money works and its not too late to make a spec change.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Oh, and a subtle but very nice distinction between onboard Nav and "on dashboard" Nav, is that the volume of music you're listening to is automatically lowered so that the voice instructions are louder. As small a feature as that is, I appreciate it. With my Garmin, I have to keep the music really low so I don't miss any instructions from the Nav... with onboard you don't have that problem.

Not trying to sell you on it, just pointing out why I prefer it personally. I also agree with the others that if you do get Nav, get the whole tech package because it is very much worth it.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I thought I read somewhere that along with google search the idrive would have stock quotes and weather info on it? maybe thats future stuff or only if you have bmw apps?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Weather information may be available via Google Search, but it would be a separate screen that just shows you the forecast. In a Ford, you get the current radar image over your map as you drive. That rocks!!

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

While you can get a 3rd party nav for much cheaper than $3k or free off of your smartphone it's the other features such as top view and the backup cam that are more essential imo. Although the X3 is much larger than my last car, I have not scratched or dinged my rims ever thanks to the top view feature; The two camera modes have pretty much made the parking sensors obsolete for me.

However, the only dumb thing is in order to get top view you have to add the tech package which is a better buy than the standalone nav option anyways but if you're trying to keep cost down you can't because they also make you add the premium package.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
ctski1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
However, the only dumb thing is in order to get top view you have to add the tech package which is a better buy than the standalone nav option anyways but if you're trying to keep cost down you can't because they also make you add the premium package.
Good point!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:

I love it and it's the best system on the market, I use it all the time and down load destinations from google maps almost dayly, would not be without it.
      10-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
It depends how long you intend to keep the car. Nav technology is moving so fast inbuild systems are obsolete after 3 or 4 years. If you are getting it for the long term I believe you would be better off getting a portable one, have a look at the inbuild ones from 5 years ago and you'll see what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #15
newX3owner
Rep
Drives: X3

like the OP, i dont care much for the NAV, but i ordered it b/c my wife wanted it.

best feature for me has to be the top view parking distance assist......use it everytime i park...just wish it can show the front distance too! if in future this becomes a stand-alone option, i would still pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #16
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

If you lease the car, its a no brainer as the NAV package adds a minor amount to the monthly payment.

This is the first car I have had with an integrated NAV and just like Comfort Access, there is no turning back. I still have my Garmin to use when I travel, but it does not come close to the integrated system.

I am actually pretty good on directions, but the BMW NAV has helped when I ended up in unfamiliar neighborhoods, and does a good job letting me know about traffic problems and alternative routes. Plus, its integration with the radio, telephone, and google maps makes things real easy. I've gotten into the habit of looking up an unfamiliar destination on google maps, sending it to the car, before leaving the house.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #17
ismelllikepoop
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

I don't like the nav on the x3. I've posted in multiple threads, but I haven't been in a car where it takes a few minutes just to start up. Seems to be inaccurate, and in my e92 m3 i used a $150 garmin that worked much better. I've used navs in a lexus, mb, porsche, acura and they all have worked better than the bmw. I do like the parking topdown feature, but i really don't get why i'm paying 2k, i guess a bigger screen and prettier graphics, but i would trade those in a heartbeat for a nav that was accurate and that i wouldnt have to wait for it to boot up. hell it takes several minutes to pull up my address book on idrive which i stored all of two addresses on. and when i say minutes, yes i actually timed it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 03:59 AM   #18
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
I drove a loaner X3 this week, and it had a different nav to the one in the demo I drove when I ordered my X3.

The 6 inch screen Nav does not seem to show mountains / topography in the perspective view, and only zooms into 100m detail.

The 8.8 inch version shows the terrain on the 3D map, shows 3D buildings and allows you to zoom into a resoution of 25m.

I dont know what price difference there is between the two versions, but once you have used the bigger screen one with its better zoom resolution and more realistic 3D image, its hard to go back.

The 100m zoom made it hard to see small side streets and small details on freeway exists and city streets compared to the full blown 25m level zoom I am used to in the Z.

Admittedly I had no idea the two Navs were different except in the size of the screen until I drove the loaner on Monday.

Its just luck I splashed out on the 8.8 inch screen for the wife in the new X3, and its only really because I thought I should buy her one that looked as big as the one I bought myself.
(I thought she might get upset if it looked like I was skimping on her car after I loaded everything into mine. )

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #19
ctski1
Private
United_States
Rep

How large is the 2012 X3 NAV?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #20
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
How large is the 2012 X3 NAV?
Pro-Nav 10.5" screen in the UK, it's the biggest on any car. Mines on order.
      10-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #21
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

There's also integration of the nav instructions into the center display on the dash (or the HUD, I think). I find that useful. The little intersection graphics that show lanes and cross streets are surprisingly accurate and useful in unusual intersections.

Have not experienced inaccuracy or long start-up times others have noted. Sometimes 5-10 sec coming out of the garage. A few seconds to update the phone list.
      10-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #22
scs-X3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

With the HUD integration, I barely look at the map anymore. The HUD/NAV top my list of options to have. My NAV is very accurate, it can tell if I am in the local or main lanes of I270 Maryland. The NAV has to be properly calibrated. If you are having accuracy issues I would take it to the dealer and have them run through the calibration setup.
Appreciate 0