BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
jaybert
Private
Rep
Drives:

Google maps sometimes goes over Bluetooth / car speakers?

Has anyone experienced the issue where google maps (on iPhone 5s if it matters) sporadically announces driving directions over gps? Sometimes it doesn't and I can't figure out the pattern of when it works and when it doesn't. If Bluetooth is enabled, it will either go over the speakers, or I will hear nothing at all (as if it thinks it is announcing over Bluetooth but nothing comes out). In those cases I need to disable bT and then it will come out of the phone speaker.

I generally always have the radio on so don't think it's an on/off type of thing.

2011 x3 w/o navigation if that matters
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:50 AM   #2
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

The Google Maps app and now the Apple Maps app both work over Bluetooth if it's enabled.

If BT audio is enabled, the directions go over BT audio. If BT is enabled but BT audio is not enabled in iDrive settings, then the audio goes over the headset protocol and it appears like a phone call to yourself. This is handy because it will interrupt any audio source without needing your phone selected as the source. If BT is disabled, obviously the directions go over the phone speaker.

In Apple maps, the sound button at the bottom controls if the audio goes over BT or over the phone speaker. I'm sure there is a similar button on the Google maps app but I don't know where it is.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 04:53 AM   #3
jaybert
Private
Rep
Drives:

It appears as a phone call to myself. I'm pretty sure I have Bluetooth audio enabled, maybe that's my problem. Presumably if bt audio is enabled I need to have idrive set to Bt audio? Or will it be smart enough to see I don't have it set and use the phone call method?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

I actually like having that feature. I have I-drive, BT disabled, I have to have my phone plugged in by iPhone cord, and iPhone has to be selected in the I-drive . If I disconnect it , it won't go over the speakers. Also there is another thread that states that if you have BT enabled and you plug your phone in, the screen will display that BT is disabled and only one choice is allowed. You will then have to go back to the setting to change it to BT enabled. It happened to me the first time I got into the car an never since , since I have never re-enabled BT.
      07-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

If you have BT audio enabled in iDrive then you need to have your phone selected as the audio source to hear directions.
Appreciate 0