BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Extended Warranty

I've been quoted pricing for Powertrain Plus, Gold and Platinum Extended warranties. I've had a series of Acuras that have been bullet proof so never felt the need for these warranties and never regretted not purchasing them. However, the bimmers don't have the same reliability reputation that the Japanese vehicles do.

Did you folks buy any of these coverages? If you did, which one? Have you had to use it? For those of you that didn't do you have any regrets? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Last edited by Bmwlvr60; 12-26-2012 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Amber
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 Sport 19" rims

Never even considered buying the extended warranty...no regrets
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
Never even considered buying the extended warranty...no regrets
+1
      12-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
rmbs16
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2013

When the factory warranty on my old X3 was close to expiration, I did shop around for extended warranty and found that the extended warranties are either too expensive (2.5k-3.5k for 2 years) or don't provide enough covergae (too many fine prints) and chose to put that money aside for any repairs. Basically, I bought the warranty from myself. The warranty related repairs for the two years (or 28k miles) were under 1000k. I spent another $750 for the last 18 months or 20k miles bringing the total repair cost to about $1750. Sold the car at 99,500 miles. Note that if you decide to buy warranty then you need to keep buying the warranty every 2-3 years and the total money spent on warrant will soon adds up. be aware that the wear and tear related repairs aren't covered by extended warranties. Some dealers offer different service warranties at a rip-off price.
For luxury cars, if you drive more than 10k miles, leasing would be a better choice. My friend who drives a volvo spent 4k on transmission at 120k miles and another 2k on some other repairs and now he is not willing to trade-in his volvo due to as he already "invested" money in. Luxury cars can soon turn into a money pit after 100k miles.
If you really want to buy extended warranty for peace of mind, then wait towards 3-5k miles short of the expiration of factory warranty period/mileage. The big advantage of the delayed purchase is the time value of money. The other benefit is that for some reason 3-4 years down the road, if you changed your mind to trade-in your car for another, you will not lose the money paid to the warranty. (Transferable warranties will not add significant value when you sell). Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I like the idea of a warranty on our cars especially with its complexity and the cost of repairs. That said, when I got the warranty offer from bmw it seemed much too expensive. I passed... Hopefully I won't regret it.

Last edited by lbjgh; 12-27-2012 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbs16 View Post
... The big advantage of the delayed purchase is the time value of money. ...
Perhaps somewhat diminished if the extended warranty price is more expensive if purchase is delayed.
      01-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
From Autotrader.com :

Do You Need an Extended Warranty?

Email
Print

Research extended warranties before heading to the dealership to buy a car.
Manufacturer-backed warranties are the smarter choice.
You can purchase an extended warranty anytime before the original warranty expires.

Sitting in a dealership's business office as you sign off on your new-car purchase is not the time to be wondering, "Do I need an extended warranty?"

Most car negotiations tend to wear down the consumer. By the time the salesperson walks a buyer into the business manager's office -- often called the F&I manager for "finance" and "insurance" -- that buyer may have already spent up to two or three hours with the salesperson, hearing a sales pitch, test driving some cars and hammering out a deal involving the new-car purchase price, as well as the value for a trade-in vehicle. This is just one reason we believe you should separate the shopping and buying visits to your dealership.

Mistakenly believing the heavy lifting of decision making is done when the salesperson turns them over to the F&I manager, some unsuspecting consumers might feel overwhelmed when suddenly faced with a grocery list of add-ons. These extra-cost products and services can include everything from window tinting and fabric protection for the seats to gap insurance and extended warranties.

The reality is that the F&I manager is another salesperson. Part of his job is to sell these additional products and services, which help bolster the dealership's profit on the car.

Arming yourself with some research on those extras before heading to the dealership to buy will not only save you some money but will also keep you from regretting decisions you had to make on the fly.

Among the buying decisions you will have to make in the F&I office, an extended warranty is one of the more complicated and expensive.

Here's what you need to know, what you need to ask yourself and what you need to find out about extended warranties before going to the dealership:

What is an extended warranty?

An extended warranty is really a service contract. It covers the cost of specified repairs after the car's manufacturer warranty expires. Think of it as medical insurance for your car. Some extended warranties are more comprehensive than others. Some have deductibles, while others don't.

Who backs it?

Extended warranties consist of two basic types: manufacturer backed and third party. Manufacturer-backed extended warranties provide for repairs to be made in any franchised dealership by factory-trained technicians using factory parts. The dealership's service writer can usually approve extended warranty repairs without a drawn out approval process. In other words, while it may differ in what it covers, it's basically an extension of the manufacturer warranty that came with the car.

A third-party extended warranty is underwritten by a company other than the manufacturer. It may or may not pay for work to be done at a franchised dealership. It will probably require the repair shop to secure approval from the warranty company before doing the work. It may require the owner to pay for the repair work then submit the bill to the warranty company for reimbursement. Third-party warranty companies can go bankrupt, taking the owners' money and leaving them without coverage.

If there is a deductible, what kind and how much is it?

Some extended warranties have a deductible. These can be either per-visit or per-repair deductibles. The ideal warranty would carry no deductible at all; however, if to keep the initial cost of the warranty low you accept a deductible, steer clear of per-repair deductibles. A warranty company could charge you a deductible for every part repaired or replaced even if they are related to the same problem that is fixed in a single service visit.

Who can make the covered repairs?

Make sure an extended warranty doesn't lock you into having the warranty work performed at a particular repair facility or the service department of a particular dealership. If you are away from home when trouble hits, you need to be able to take your car to a close-by repair shop or dealership. Manufacturer-backed warranties cover work done at any authorized franchised dealership.

Exactly what is covered?

Make sure items most likely to fail, break or wear out are covered: anti-lock brakes, electrical systems, transmission, manual-transmission clutches, air conditioner and power-steering components. Read the contract's fine print to determine exactly what is included and what is excluded.

Different levels of warranty often are offered with coverage increasing with each bump in price.

Who pays the bill?

Some warranties require the owner to pay for the repair and submit a receipt to the warranty company for reimbursement. This can take weeks or even months. There are plenty of warranties out there that directly pay the shop, requiring no out-of-pocket payment from you. Never buy an extended warranty that doesn't pay the repair shop directly.

Do you really need an extended warranty?

Different warranties cover different repairs, but basically an extended warranty kicks in after the manufacturer's warranty expires. At the core of the "need" question is how long do you plan to keep the car? If you trade-in a car every two or three years, chances are the warranty that came with the car will still be in force. If you keep a car for five years or longer, an extended warranty may pay for itself.

When is the best time to buy an extended warranty?

As with most products and services offered in the F&I office, an extended warranty doesn't have to be purchased when you buy the car. In fact, you can usually buy a warranty any time before the car's manufacturer warranty expires. Moreover, you don't have to buy it from the dealership where you purchased the car. The only advantage to buying it as part of a new-car purchase is that you can roll it into the financing and monthly payments. This means you will wind up paying more for it over the long haul, but you don't have to pay one lump sum.

Have you shopped around?

When it comes to buying a new car, everything is negotiable. This includes the cost of an extended warranty. Call the F&I office of a few dealerships offering the model you are going to buy and find out their lowest price for the warranty you are considering. Know that the first price they quote will probably be twice what it costs them. Dicker with them for a lowest price. Use that price to bargain with the dealer where you finally purchase the car.

What do we recommend?

Consumer Reports magazine says that on average consumers spend more on an extended warranty than the warranty saves them in repairs. So chances are, you probably don't need one. But if you really want an extended warranty for extra peace of mind, we prefer one backed by the automaker. Make sure it covers every component you want covered. Avoid a deductible, if possible.

What it means to you.

Do you need an extended warranty? For a consumer keeping a car beyond the limits of the warranty that came with the car, an extended warranty can provide some peace of mind even if it probably won't pay for itself. But extended warranties are only valuable if sensibly priced and comprehensive in coverage.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
Akview
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i 2018 530i

Garage List
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
How much

Now that I have been discouraged on buying an extended warranty I want to know how much am I saving to pass up that piece of mind.

Where and how can I get quotes short of walking into the dealer and putting a sucker sign on my forehead and bending over. Manufacture extended warranty sounds like the way to go but the big question is can I negotiate and what are the base prices and how low will they go.

Not in a hurry and thinking a head. Like the idea of covering all the expensive technology that I have invested in.

2013 X3 28i loaded purchased 5/12
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
heverlee
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

I am actually thinking of getting one from my car insurance company (geico in my case). It requires you to buy before the car is 18 months old and its like 25 bucks every six month. coverage is on mechanical breakdowns till 7-yr/100k with something like $250 deductible. Since it is not that expensive, I am thinking of getting one just in case there are major issues in the future. At least I can have the insurance share some repair cost.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport

It might be worth considering if you keep cars beyond warranty expiration or otherwise drive them into the ground before getting a new one.
      02-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d M Sport - DSB Manual

Personally I avoid insurance where I believe the relative value of the potential payout is low compared to the insurance premium.
I did not take the Gap (my motor insurance covers the 1st year anyway) or tyre insurance offered. Don't think an extended warranty was offered in the UK?

The insurance companies pay all of their operating costs - rents/commission/wages etc etc and keep a healthy profit, all out of our premiums.

It is a risk if you do not take insurance - but as long as you have weighed up the issues be happy with your decision.
- F25 2.0d M Sport manual, DSB, black leather with fineline wave wood, Pan Sunroof, 368 M alloys, exterior trim and rails in matt aluminium, reversing camera, sun protection glass, windscreen with grey shade band, heated front seats, extended storage, powered tailgate, Xenon's, bluetooth c/w USB, DAB.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
cfos
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 xDrive28i

I extended the coverage of the warranty as part of my purchase agreement. While I'm not a dealer, I think it is something that it is easy for a dealer to accommodate. Personally, I feel more comfortable having the warranty for a period that is likely longer than the period I'll own it for. Sure, there are arguments for/against for a variety of reasons. Even if I had to pay, what $1-2K? for piece of mind? Worth it to me. Not everything I own, cars included, appreciate in valve as others on forums seem to. On the other hand, I don't drop big money on driving gloves, shoes, golf, gambling, etc., so I pay for the psychological comfort provided by a warranty. I should note, though, I do buy winter/summer tires -- again for added peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #13
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
I extended the coverage of the warranty as part of my purchase agreement. While I'm not a dealer, I think it is something that it is easy for a dealer to accommodate. Personally, I feel more comfortable having the warranty for a period that is likely longer than the period I'll own it for. Sure, there are arguments for/against for a variety of reasons. Even if I had to pay, what $1-2K? for piece of mind? Worth it to me. Not everything I own, cars included, appreciate in valve as others on forums seem to. On the other hand, I don't drop big money on driving gloves, shoes, golf, gambling, etc., so I pay for the psychological comfort provided by a warranty. I should note, though, I do buy winter/summer tires -- again for added peace of mind.
I will say that Winter/Summer tire sets are different: You'll enjoy the better handling of Summer tires and get the most performance out of your X3. The combination of Winter tires and XDrive will make your vehicle a fantastic SUV in the snow- safe and powerful. Additionally, your tires will last much longer becasue you're putting less mileage on them- splitting miles between 2 sets of tires. This is an investment, not just peace of mind.

If you care that much about peace of mind with the extended warranty- go for it!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
Chitown-Irish
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 xDrive35i

My X3 was a CPO so the extended warranty was added into the asking price but I really debated on whether or not to go this route as my last car was a CPO and I never used the warranty in the 120k miles I had it.

CPO was not the deciding factor in buying the X3 as was the very low miles it had and I was able to deal down the price low enough that it probably covered most of the CPO. My only tough decision was whether or not to purchase the extended maintenance plan as it can be very expensive if you go through the dealership after the initial maintenance plans runs out. I didn't purchase it as it can be purchased later.

I think the decision on buying either the extended warranty or maintenance plans depends on how long you intend to keep the vehicle.
2011 X3 xDrive35i F25 (CPO) Space Grey/Black Leather, Packages: Premium, Cold Weather, BMW Apps, Sirius and Technology. BMW CCA Member (WindyCity Chapter). Former cars: 06 750i E65 (CPO) 07 E90 335i (bought used but had problematic iDrive so sold it to get 7-series)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
ponti33609
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW/X3 35i  [0.00]
Hi,

I just finished my decision TO get an extended warranty on our new 2014 X3. Lots of research.

I went with a 3rd party due to seals and gasket coverage where BMW does not. This is our first BMW and I perceive more maintenance than my Honda's.

I looked hard at both Fidelity and Zurich. Both exclusion policies. I believe from my research that Zurich is easier to deal with.

We chose a 7/70k plan from Fidelity because it was almost 50% less than the best deal I could find with Zurich. I feel peace if mind that for a few years after the warranty is over we will be protected especially with all the electrics we have. May be harder do deal with Fidelity but the price was too good to pass up with the same coverage.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
neelkc12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: x3

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Did you buy(Fidelity) from the dealer? I believe that's the only way .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33609 View Post
Hi,

I just finished my decision TO get an extended warranty on our new 2014 X3. Lots of research.

I went with a 3rd party due to seals and gasket coverage where BMW does not. This is our first BMW and I perceive more maintenance than my Honda's.

I looked hard at both Fidelity and Zurich. Both exclusion policies. I believe from my research that Zurich is easier to deal with.

We chose a 7/70k plan from Fidelity because it was almost 50% less than the best deal I could find with Zurich. I feel peace if mind that for a few years after the warranty is over we will be protected especially with all the electrics we have. May be harder do deal with Fidelity but the price was too good to pass up with the same coverage.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #17
ponti33609
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/X3 35i  [0.00]
I purchased from a guy I saw many good reviews from on the web. Troy Dietrich who works for a Toyota Dealer in Greenfield MA. Very nice guy, awesome prices. If you google his name you will see many positive responses. So he was at a dealer (Toyota/Ford) but I bought from a dealer in FL.

Bob

Last edited by ponti33609; 05-16-2013 at 06:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #18
neelkc12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: x3

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33609 View Post
I purchased from a guy I saw many good reviews from on the web. Tony Dietrich who works for a Toyota Dealer in Greenfield MA. Very nice guy, awesome prices. If you google his name you will see many positive responses. So he was at a dealer (Toyota/Ford) but I bought from a dealer in FL.

Bob
============
Thanks a lot for the pointer.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #19
ponti33609
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/X3 35i  [0.00]
Note too FWIW: I read more poor reviews about Fidelity in comparison to Zurich. Most however were due to not getting the Exclusion/Platinum Policy. That is the only way to go with these IMHO especially if you do like we did and go with a 3rd party.

Last edited by ponti33609; 05-16-2013 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #20
49design
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i

Experience With X3 Led Me To Get Extended Warranty

Just traded in my 2004 X3 3.0 with 110,000 miles on it for a 2013 X3 iDrive35i and had to get the extended warranty, BMW's Maintenance Program Upgrade for an additional 5 years on top of the basic BMW all expenses paid program.

Since I keep my cars for a while, my earlier X3 toward the end of it's stay with me showed multiple error lights indicating my transfer case was going at 110,000 miles and nine years of ownership. At that point I was looking at potentially a $4-5,000 repair. Instead I traded the car in, didn't get anything for it in return because of it's problem.

Got a new 2013 X3 iDrive 35i and decided to pay for the Maintenance Program Upgrade so am covered for nine years in case this problem occurs again. Though it could be a waste of money if the car gets totaled, for example, I at least have the peace of mind that I'm covered for as long as I owned the previous iteration.

The upgrade cost $4,000 which is much less than five years of maintenance plus a possible new transfer case.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #21
ponti33609
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW/X3 35i  [0.00]
Did you do the maintenance or really the extended warranty? Warranty correct?
      05-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #22
Yoyoniner
Private
Rep
Drives: -

Through Geico I pay about $50/year for a 7 year/100K extended warranty.
Appreciate 0