BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

order is in..now second guessing...

Hi-been reading this site for a while now and have enjoyed all the great insight-finally put an order in on 18th after over 1 month of investigating..went with the 35i even though I haven't had chance to test drive it, but not much debate there-never can have too much power! My first BMW is a few weeks away (ok, maybe 6...) out and I am counting the days!

I ordered it in deep sea blue metallic with the nevada mojave interior and brushed alum inserts...also went with the 19" wheels and the sports pkg, sunroof, nav, cold weather pkg, power tailgate (this was my wife's request as apparantly she is thinking she will get to drive it on occassion ..)

I got if for $1,500 off MSRP + the $500 accessories coupon, but now wondering if I should have pressed for more..do need to say that the demo I got from my rep, and all his follow up/ professionalism has been the best I've ever had in any car buying experience, and as a sales guy myself, I figured leaving a few bucks on the table may be good in the long run, and so far, he has earned it...

so..I'm wondering about my interior choice as it matches up w/ the blue-haven't seen any photos of this leather anywhere, much less it combined with the blue. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I am debating adding the upgraded stereo, and maybe the dynamic handling pkg...having not driven the turbo at all, i am fully expecting to love it, but wondering if after I get used to it, I will regret having not gone full tilt with the DHP...I'm not what I would consider a driving connoisseur, and don't think I will be driving it super hard (just periodic really hard), so..maybe not needed..?

Thanks in advance for any insight-please excuse the rambling post!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
Quick hits on the items you mentioned:

1. Dyn Hand Pack - I think most of the board has debated this one - especially the comparison to a non-dyn hand pack car. i drove an 28 and a 35 both without the DHP and a 35 with the DHP and 19's - but that drive was in florida in the palm beach area on super smooth roads. Nonetheless, i thought the 35, with the 19's and the DHP was the 'best ride'. it was just a test drive, but it felt the best.
* but also, new england roads are quite lumpy - espeicically this time of year so that could have a lot to do with it.
(I think I will order the DHP anyway by the way).

2. Upgraded stereo is really quite good. all depends on where you want to put your money, but with a 35 it amounts to .5% of the cost. give or take. i like my music and like it a lot so i chose this option.

3. deep sea blue: to be honest i don't love any of the colors that much. i will end up with the deep sea blue and chestnut reddish leather - some say superman - because i like the interior that much.

4. also - i 'overpaid' about 200-500$ to shop local (10 miles as opposed to 60+ miles) and im glad i did. i have also had an excellent salesperson so im happy.

do a google search for deep sea blue and you will find many pics. not many on the interior though.

i hope this helps.

Last edited by bluesmachine; 02-24-2011 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congratulations on your new BMW order. I have a 35i with the standard suspension and wheels and find it is a great combination of ride and handling. I have not driven an x3 with the optional suspension and I would be curious too of others could post their comments on if/how often they make adjustments.

Ps Your deal would be very good for the one dealer market I live in and better than what I negotiated. I am like you and In sales and I respect the time of a good client rep.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I think a lighter interior like oyster or beige (with wood trim) looks better with deep sea blue. I've only seen a couple of mojave interior pics and didn't like it much personally but photos can be deceptive, especially with the flash.

Congrats on your order!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

I have seen the exact same combination (except it had light wood trim) here in minnesota when I went for test drive, IMHO I did not like the combination as well my wife did not like too, sales person helping me out mentioned "awful" combination. But this is just individual preference, some might like it and some might not, I would say if possible you should see the color mojave in person before you decide on further action. in google
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

well crap..."awful" was not what I was going for... I originally ordered black exterior w/ that interior but changed that to the blue...I like the tan with blue but really wanted a dark interior as it hides dirt and general wear better I think...may need to consider black interior as I can't real photos of the mojave anywhere...

Thanks for the other comments-definitely thinking the upgraded stereo may need to be added...

btw-what is the average time lag from deposit and order placed with getting an actual build date? I put the order in last Friday and as of today my rep says they have nothing confirmed...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

It's apparently similar to Havanna (http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472941)

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...hlight=havanna

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers

Last edited by sfax; 02-24-2011 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: added info
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #8
maestroX2
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post

I'll pick my X3 tomorrow and it has Mojave. Will try to take picture and post if I have time.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Tauvil
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i - Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ando View Post
I have not driven an x3 with the optional suspension and I would be curious too of others could post their comments on if/how often they make adjustments.
I've been driving my 35i since last Saturday (19th) and with less than 300 miles on it I've already noticed I habitually turn on the car by pressing the start button ... and then the Sport button on DHP. SO much more fun to drive in Sport or Sport+ than Normal (with the only exception being on long trips - 8th gear is not used in Sport modes)! I suppose you won't miss what you never had but IMO, if you're paying extra for the turbo engine you obviously appreciate a sporty ride and, thus, DHP should be considered a mandatory add on.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I very much enjoy both the DHP and the upgraded stereo. Given the daily enjoyment (and 2 hours of commute) in light of the percentage cost of the entire vehicle factored over expected years of ownership, it was easily the right choice for me.
      02-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
gregoryw1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 X3 35i  [0.00]
+1 on the DHP - just wish there was a way to keep the sport turned on so I don't have to press the button each time ... but if I forget I'm (no so subtly) reminded to turn it on once I start driving in normal mode - it's really pretty awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 12:54 AM   #12
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I think a lighter interior like oyster or beige (with wood trim) looks better with deep sea blue. I've only seen a couple of mojave interior pics and didn't like it much personally but photos can be deceptive, especially with the flash.

Congrats on your order!
+1 Go for a light leather with deep blue sea

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

+1 on the stereo. I listened to the upgraded stereo on my car pre-pdi and it is a marvel compared to the standard one. It is the first car stereo my wife finds acceptable too - and she is the home audiophile.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #14
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauvil View Post
I've been driving my 35i since last Saturday (19th) and with less than 300 miles on it I've already noticed I habitually turn on the car by pressing the start button ... and then the Sport button on DHP. SO much more fun to drive in Sport or Sport+ than Normal (with the only exception being on long trips - 8th gear is not used in Sport modes)! I suppose you won't miss what you never had but IMO, if you're paying extra for the turbo engine you obviously appreciate a sporty ride and, thus, DHP should be considered a mandatory add on.
Really? Even on the rough Chicago roads?! I am stingy about putting it on unless I've memorized every pothole within a mile radius!
Appreciate 0