BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
ScottX3
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

iPhone 3G and snap in Cradle

I can play music from my iPhone over bluetooth, but when I put the iPhone in the snap-in adapter it displays the song playing but I hear no music. What am I doing wrong?? Any hints?http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/images/smilies/help.gif
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottX3 View Post
I can play music from my iPhone over bluetooth, but when I put the iPhone in the snap-in adapter it displays the song playing but I hear no music. What am I doing wrong?? Any hints?http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/images/smilies/help.gif
Sounds like you have a USB connection but no phono connection. Does the sound on the phone work in the cradle when taking calls (with Bluetooth switched off). Audio can be streamed via Bluetooth or via the phono connection as I understand it. Will hopefully provide some more info when I finally get mine next week

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
ScottX3
United_States
Rep

iPhone music while in Cradle?

On the Bluetooth display on the BMW there is a phone icon and a music icon.

With both lit and the phone out of the cradle, I can play and hear music and make calls. When I put the phone in the cradle, the bluetooth phone icon stays on and the bluetooth music icon turns off. When I attempt to play music, the BMW displays all my playlists etc. which is does not do over a bluetooth music connection. However I have not figured out how to hear the music that is playing.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Which insert o you have? One provides only antenna and phone (or something close to that) and the other adds media. Could that be it? How to tell? You got me . . .
      02-24-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Check your snap-in connections. From what you've said the phono isn't connected but the USB is. There are two sockets below the cradle. If they look like they are both connected OK you may have a problem with the adaptor itself.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
ScottX3
United_States
Rep

Bummer if they sold me the wrong adaptor. The part number on the back is 84.21-2 158 683-01 BMW for Apple iPhone 3G. All it really does now is charge my phone (for over $200). The phone works via Bluetooth when in the cradle. I don't notice a stronger antenna signal. Music displays but cannot be heard. I'll have it looked at when I'm in for my first service. The dealer took a quick look at it and couldn't figure it out. I borrowed a USB cable at the dealer (the one I bought for $1 on ebay is on a boat somewhere between Hong Kong and the US.) It worked great and charged the phone, played music etc. If they can't get the snap in cradle to work, I'll have them take the whole thing out and I'll just use the $1 USB/phone cable.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #7
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

If you double click on the iPhone home button and swipe all the way to the left you will see the iPod controls. There should also be a blue button. If you press that you will likely see a couple options like USB or cradle or airplay. I don't have my x3 yet, but since airplay on my ford with sync I have to mess with that sometimes. I have the exact same symptoms before I made that change.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 01:13 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I have a snap-in adapter for iPhone 4 but don't get my iPhone 4 until April (I currently have an iPhone 3G). Will let you know how I get on. Sounds like something is definitely amiss. Also disappointing to see the feedback on Google Search. I'm going to have a play with all things technical on mine at the weekend so I'll let you know if I find out anything useful.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 01:23 AM   #9
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottX3 View Post
If you have a USB plug for an iPod/phone plugged into the USB port within the storage compartment of the center console, then you're going to get the song information and your entire library (including playlists) organized via iDrive. You do not need the audio-out connection along with it (a split-dual cord). If you do it via the audio-out cord alone, you will not get song info, and you will have to change it with your phone/iPod, and this is the same with bluetooth.

The reason you are not hearing anything is because you must gently turn up the volume after selecting a song. I think this may be a safety feature, where turning the knob even one notch was sometimes startling and potentially dangerous. You can use the buttons on the wheel, too.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 06:56 AM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Make sure you have the right snap-in adapter. Some only allow charging and antenna access.
      03-03-2011, 02:07 AM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Looks like same problem and solution maybe wrong adapter

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495934

Appreciate 0