BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-26-2011, 11:27 AM   #23
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
rather than pressing lock briefly (vice unlock)

Either I'm not patient enough or this doesn't work on my US model (used on on the 330i). Must try again.
I can't give you a number of seconds it needs to be held down but I'm guessing only 2 Could be yet another very strange omission if this doesn't work in the US

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #24
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
I could have sworn this was standard on both (28/35) models, even here in the US. Isn't it so?
No. In the US it's a part of the optional convenience package. Only the automatic "park" positioning (re-aiming the mirror down) is standard.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #25
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
No. In the US it's a part of the optional convenience package. Only the automatic "park" positioning (re-aiming the mirror down) is standard.

Sweet. I am ordering the Conv Package anyhow!

Convenience Package $1,850
•Xenon headlights
•Cargo net
•Adaptive light control
•Comfort Access keyless entry
•Rear manual side window shades
•Power tailgate

Which option listed is for the folding mirrors?

Last edited by flash3; 02-26-2011 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #26
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Hmmm, I think you misunderstood what I just said? If you have the elec folding mirrors option, you just hold the lock button on the remote key to fold the mirrors on locking the car (rather than just pressing unlock briefly). Unlocking the car then automatically unfolds them again.
what i meant was rather than having to press and hold the lock button, when we press to lock, it does that without the need to hold for couple of seconds.. lazy me...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #27
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude00 View Post
what i meant was rather than having to press and hold the lock button, when we press to lock, it does that without the need to hold for couple of seconds.. lazy me...
Oh, I see. I guess they could make it configurable and include a lazy lock all and fold mode on single press

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #28
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sweet. I am ordering the Conv Package anyhow!

Convenience Package $1,850
•Xenon headlights
•Cargo net
•Adaptive light control
•Comfort Access keyless entry
•Rear manual side window shades
•Power tailgate

Which option listed is for the folding mirrors?
Sorry for the brain-fade, meant to write "Premium Package". The folding mirrors are part of the Auto dimming option included in the Premium Pkg. Unfortunately it's a $3450 option, but it's not a bad idea if you already are ordering leather seats and don't mind a moonroof.

You will love the power tailgate. You can set it to open to (5) different positions via iDrive. The manual tailgate is way to heavy for my wife and is difficult to reach when fully open. The power tailgate should be standard equipment on every X3.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #29
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for the brain-fade, meant to write "Premium Package". The folding mirrors are part of the Auto dimming option included in the Premium Pkg. Unfortunately it's a $3450 option, but it's not a bad idea if you already are ordering leather seats and don't mind a moonroof.

You will love the power tailgate. You can set it to open to (5) different positions via iDrive. The manual tailgate is way to heavy for my wife and is difficult to reach when fully open. The power tailgate should be standard equipment on every X3.
It's strange to me that people find the heavy tailgate an issue. Both my wife and I don't have a problem with it. I was concerned after ordering because of some of the comments but I asked her about it today and she didn't know what the all the fuss was about.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 06:43 PM   #30
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Quote:

Yeah I am going with the Power Tailgate for sure. I have seen this in a few videos, but does the key fob allow you to open the rear tailgate/trunk from a distance? 28 or 35, or both models?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #31
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Keyfob tailgate open

I was told you should hold the tailgate open button for couple of secs to do so
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #32
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I am going with the Power Tailgate for sure. I have seen this in a few videos, but does the key fob allow you to open the rear tailgate/trunk from a distance? 28 or 35, or both models?
If you first press the door "unlock" button, the tailgate button on the key then opens the tailgate. I have a 35i, but believe it's exactly the same on the 28i with the power door option.

There is also a button next to the front of the drivers door that opens the tailgate from the driving position, plus the rubber-covered button on the outside of the door above the license plate. To close it you must press the button on the underside of the door jamb. The remote does not close the door for safety reasons. In our garage, the tailgate swings pretty close to the closed garage door. You have to jump out of the way once you press the close button.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #33
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's strange to me that people find the heavy tailgate an issue. Both my wife and I don't have a problem with it. I was concerned after ordering because of some of the comments but I asked her about it today and she didn't know what the all the fuss was about.
Possibly, the production models have a better-counterweighted tailgate. We tried the tailgate on the non-drivable (Silver) first demo our dealer had and then later on a 28i (White) driving demo, and both were on the "heavy" side. I could reach the fully opened tailgate handle, but my 5'7'' wife had an uncomfortable long reach to do it. She also was worried about being able to lift the tailgate with one hand (if she was carrying a bag of groceries in the other). We've had various Audi Avants and a Subi LGT wagon, and this was the first car she had concerns about, but then it's the first one with a power tailgate option (and she knew it!).

She had no complaints about the VDC and Sport options I added, so there was no way I'd even question her request for the power tailgate.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #34
Spitfire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

I have the folding mirror option, so far the only way to pull in the mirrors is to hit the button on the door. Tried holding the logo button on the fob and also the trunk release button. Any other ideas? Also, why can't you close the rear hatch with the fob if you can open it?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #35
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

No go with the fob with mine here in the States, either. I was very patient this time. Even tried a "two click hold". No dice. Kinda liked that feature, but then again there are few I don't like . . .
      02-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #36
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I have the folding mirror option, so far the only way to pull in the mirrors is to hit the button on the door. Tried holding the logo button on the fob and also the trunk release button. Any other ideas? Also, why can't you close the rear hatch with the fob if you can open it?
I believe they don't want someone who is out of sight of the hatch closing it while someone (a child perhaps) is standing there loading or unloading cargo.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #37
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
No go with the fob with mine here in the States, either. I was very patient this time. Even tried a "two click hold". No dice. Kinda liked that feature, but then again there are few I don't like . . .
Have you tried first pressing the top "unlock"button, and then immediately pressing the lower "hatch open" button? It works for me every time. The car must be unlocked, and then the remote hatch open button pressed within a short time.

I don't think there is an iDrive set-up option to enable/disable the remote hatch open function, but will check soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #38
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Apologies, I created a garble. My last was about the folding mirrors vice the tailgate.
      02-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #39
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
I agree...My wife and I also opted out of the Convenience Package because we didnt find the need for the power tailgate nor wanted the kids messing with the manual shades. Besides, we both wondered how much weight the power tailgate added to the X3.
kozzi
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #40
MB330
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
To OP-check my post here with pics on folder mirrors
      02-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #41
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB330 View Post
To OP-check my post here with pics on folder mirrors
Thanks for posting the link, I just read the post it said about clicking the button to fold, but did not mention which button, can you please clarify.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #42
MB330
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2018 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymk5 View Post
Thanks for posting the link, I just read the post it said about clicking the button to fold, but did not mention which button, can you please clarify.

Thanks.
It's a button, on the left side (see my attachment) - press ones - folded mirror, press second time (or reach speed 15 mph) - un-fold mirrors.
Attached Images