BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

review - first impressions

since I've asked a ton of questions on this board, I thought I'd return the favor and share some insight:

F25 - 2.8
DHP
Sport
Premium
Convenience
Cold Weather
Sat
Premium hi-fi
Space Gray / Wave wood / black leather

- DHP - I live up in the hills and I absolutely love DHP. Makes my F25 handle as well as my E83. My wife, however, likes the soft suspension of a stock F25, so I think DHP is a great compromise. I set SPORT mode to only adapt the suspension. Sport+ will kick in the transmission shifting patter, as will the Sport mode via the gear shifter. Cruise control does NOT work in sport+. Interesting

- transmission - I was able to keep my E83 in 2nd gear up and down the hill where I live. The F25 sometimes shifts down to 1st gear. I'll have to get used to it, I guess. Also, the car loses some power in 2nd gear on the way up. this may be DSC kicking in? I'll play around with the settings. However, I didn't have to play with anything on my '04 E83.

- premium hi-fi. worth every penny! sounds great!

- iphone/ipod interface I have an older ipod nano hoping to keep in the car. it lists as an "unsupported device" in iDrive. Reading other forums, a Y cable may make it work. I'll maybe pick a cheap one up on ebay. My F25 did NOT come with a Y cable. iPhone4, however, works great with the USB cable. Album artwork comes through on most tracks.

- wheels - I have Borbet type E 17" wheels as snow rims from my E83. They appear to fit fine. However, the brake to wheel clearance is tight. I'll need to be sure a tire dealer uses the flat stick-on wheel weights when I have the tires broken down to outfit the TPMS I just purchased from tire rack. I am going with my old nokian hakka studs for the winter. 225/60-17.

- tires - with the sport pkg, I received the Goodyear Eagle LS 245/50-18. I hope I don't get the sidewall buldge others have witnessed. The tread on the goodyear tires does look aggressive and am happy with the tread, as I traverse a dirt road to/from the house every day.

- mudflaps - piece of cake to install. I did need to remove the rear tires. I am less than impressed with the cloth like fender wells. They should be good for sound, however, I hope they hold up as well as hard plastic as used on every other rig I've ever owned.

- profiles - My wife and I share the car. I haven't figured out profile switching. I copied/pasted the same profile in all three locations. However, I think I am automatically setting the same profile if I open with key 1, then lock with key two, and vice/versa. I wish profile management with multiple keys was better explained in the manual.

- delivery - dealer tried to sell the 1500 tire insurance and some paint protection called Xilon. I opted out of both. Felt a little annoyed, as my wife started to latch on and it took all evening for me to convince her we didn't need a $500+ "permanent" wax job.

- sunroof - E83 tilted both pieces of glass, F25 only tilts the front. Maybe this will mitigate the water leakage I had in the E83 through the sunroof seals!

- mats - dealer threw in the deep dish style all weather mats. I like them a lot! Only the driver's side has a velcro fastener. E83 had hooks for the all weather mats. Wish I had hooks, as I see velcro wearing out over time.

- whoosh noise - car makes a whoosh noise when I open the doors. From other forums, they say it's the fuel pump priming. I think the noise is kinda annoying. Car also makes a couple of noises after it's closed and I walk away. Seems like the car has it's own technological agenda.

-headlight washers - on my E83, I was able to unplug the washer pump for the headlights. I did this in the summer, as I only prefer the headlight washers to come on in the winter. On the F25, the washer tank is inside the right fender and the pump(s) are no where in sight. I suspect they are inside the right wheel well. I'll have to do some scouting on realoem to find out if I can make this semi-annual adjustment to my F25

So far, so good! Hope this rig lasts as long, if not longer than my E83. I got 7+ years out of my E83 and over 135k. I shed a tear when I traded her in.

Oh, insurance was just a few bucks more on the F25 as compared to the E83. I was pleasantly surprised.

Finally, I opted for a 2.8 to stay away from a the "HPFP". Yes, generation 4 of the pump works ok, however, I don't want to chance it.

For those with rigs in production, pending, or in transport, you'll be pleased with your new car!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
richardew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 x335i

Good luck with your new SAV. I'm still 2 weeks from production (8/22).

'96 911 C4 Cab (276,000 1 owner smiles)
'11 X3 35i Black Sapphire/Beige,SAP, CP, CWP, DHP, PREM, TECH, Sat radio, Hi Fi, BMW apps, smartphone, 19" w/mixed performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Agree on headlight washers. Total waste of washer fluid 90% of the time for me.

Profile switching is only on unlock. Nothing to do with locking. Trial and error is the only way to learn it fully

Congrats and enjoy!!!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep

switching, I'll give you on an unlock, however, it seems to capture the settings on a lock. For example, I open the car with remote #1, program seat, radio, etc. lock with #1. Then, open again with #1, then lock with #2. Following that, open with #2, then it appears the settings from 1 are copied to 2. I think?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 01:22 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by walendvay View Post
switching, I'll give you on an unlock, however, it seems to capture the settings on a lock. For example, I open the car with remote #1, program seat, radio, etc. lock with #1. Then, open again with #1, then lock with #2. Following that, open with #2, then it appears the settings from 1 are copied to 2. I think?
I'm pretty sure ours doesn't do this as the wife will often lock the car when I have been driving it on my key and vice versa. We'd notice because we have very different seat settings saved on the key profile (i.e. she's not 6'3"!). But we have on one or two occasions had the seat position wrong and couldn't explain why. I usually just blame the wife bit there could be a problem there somewhere. Needs more experimentation

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

Thanks for the detailed report. If I were to some up my impressions they would replicate yours. After 6 months I still am amazed and impressed with my ride. For others waiting to take delivery it's worth the wait.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Agree on headlight washers. Total waste of washer fluid 90% of the time for me.

Profile switching is only on unlock. Nothing to do with locking. Trial and error is the only way to learn it fully

Congrats and enjoy!!!
Do the headlight washers operate with the windscreen washers even with the lights off?

Is it possible to moderate the pressure on the stalk to only activate windscreen washers with lights on?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

My X3 is being built this week, so I can't actually try it, but this is what the manual says:

Pull the lever.
The system sprays washer fluid on the windshield
and activates the wipers briefly.
In addition, the headlamps are cleaned at regular
intervals when the vehicle lights are switched
on.

Last edited by 02420X3; 08-09-2011 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep

On my E83, the headlight washers come on only with the headlights on. They seem to come on every 5 times, I think, starting with the 1st pull of the windshield washers.

with the headlights in the auto on/off position, the lights need to be on (i.e. at twilight or dark).

I think I solved the profile mystery. The sfax is correct w.r.t. the profile switching when you unlock the car. I re-read the manual and I think I figured it out. When you unlock the car, the car registers that key. If you go into profile management, and say you select the first profile, the car will remember that key to that profile. If you take your second key, unlock the car, you can also set that key to the first profile. It seems to connect to the profile.

For my wife and me, I want the same profile settings, radio stations etc. I simply use memory 1/2 on the seat for the seat position.

I just wish the sport "wings" and lumbar were part of the seat memory selection.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I think the headlight washers always come on because of the DRL angel eyes always being on (assuming you haven't switched them off - but why would you do that as they look awesome?!). This is from memory but hopefully someone can confirm.

Agree on customisation. The more you can customise the better IMO

Appreciate 0