BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-17-2011, 07:10 AM   #23
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I once got sunburnt down one side of my neck so be careful when it's fully open, even when it's overcast!
I live in the tropics and that sun will never allow you to open the sunroof for you definitely will get burnt hence all my friends keep it shut.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #24
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

When I took the photos, the vehicle had no key. I can't for the life of me remember from the test drive what happens when you open it. I THINK both panels open, but I get confused with the Mini Cooper S I more recently drove in which the back panel did not open.

The "screen" or whatever you call the thing that closes the moonroof to keep the sun out is solid (i.e. not a screen). It's electric and stores all the way aft.

I've very much enjoyed my sunroofs and am excited about having this huge one in the X3. I rarely open it all the way, but very much enjoy how open the vehicle feels. May sound silly, but being able to look up (when stopped, or a quick glance) to see more of the sunset clouds, the skyscrapers, mountains, the airplane flying over, weather, or whatever is something I find I really like. Even at night. Not at all a "functional driving element" here; just fun! (Oh, and yes, this is notable for me as the driver; I expect this larger roof to extend that to the passengers.)

I do regularly open the roof in the summer months as I return to the car to help vent the hot air quickly -- assisted by the BMW remote open feature.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #25
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
When I took the photos, the vehicle had no key. I can't for the life of me remember from the test drive what happens when you open it. I THINK both panels open, but I get confused with the Mini Cooper S I more recently drove in which the back panel did not open.

The "screen" or whatever you call the thing that closes the moonroof to keep the sun out is solid (i.e. not a screen). It's electric and stores all the way aft.

I've very much enjoyed my sunroofs and am excited about having this huge one in the X3. I rarely open it all the way, but very much enjoy how open the vehicle feels. May sound silly, but being able to look up (when stopped, or a quick glance) to see more of the sunset clouds, the skyscrapers, mountains, the airplane flying over, weather, or whatever is something I find I really like. Even at night. Not at all a "functional driving element" here; just fun! (Oh, and yes, this is notable for me as the driver; I expect this larger roof to extend that to the passengers.)

I do regularly open the roof in the summer months as I return to the car to help vent the hot air quickly -- assisted by the BMW remote open feature.
You nailed it very fun not that functional. Its one of those things like having 22" rims in your F25, for some its fun for others its ....
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #26
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

The sunroof only opens the first panel - the panel over the back seat does not open…if I am remembering correctly..
      01-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #27
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
The sunroof only opens the first panel - the panel over the back seat does not open…if I am remembering correctly..
Can anyone confirm this for sure? Maybe from the manual? If as above, this is the same as with double panel Mercs. This is fine for the driver but stacks two panels above rear seat passengers - possible rear headroom issue and not very pretty. Guess they must go somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #28
Andrewob
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Sunroof wind noise

Not sure whether anyone can really answer this properly, but anyone know whether a car with a sunroof has any more wind or road noise than a car without a sunroof?

I'm looking to re-order my X3 and considering adding a sunroof on my new order, my existing X3 does not have a sunroof.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 06:54 AM   #29
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

Hello,
I have the sunroof, and and I had it in my previous E91. when you order the M package, you receive the black cambrelle lining under the roof. Having the sunroof, it compensate the inside light. the e91 was my second car, and my first car with sunroof. Since that, it will hard for me to not have it anymore. compared to the E91, the sunroof in the X3 is less noising. It is exact the second panel doesn't move. Only the front one moves. you can tilt it, or move 3/4 in the back or fully in the back (goes under the second panel). Someone said you can see the airplanes. I would add go with your wife or gf and look during the night at the stars and flying stars with two glasses and a bottle of champagne

I did not regrett it in the E91, and don't regrett it as well in the X3. if it fits your bank account, then take it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #30
richardew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 x335i

Quote:
It saves power over using aircon in the summer and makes the cabin feel bright.
Actually it makes the vehicle less aerodynamic when open and therefore less fuel effecient. I know in my FX manual it states that windows up, sunroof closed and a/c on is more fuel efficient than a/c off, windows and sunroof open. Perhaps when we all have our X3s we can do the experiment.

'96 911 C4 Cab (276,000 1 owner smiles)
'11 X3 35i Black Sapphire/Beige,SAP, CP, CWP, DHP, PREM, TECH, Sat radio, Hi Fi, BMW apps, smartphone, 19" w/mixed performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #31
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Very fast

Wow, this is an ancient thread to resurrect...
Appreciate 0