BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-08-2017, 12:47 AM   #1
KurtP
Rep
Drives: x3

n00b with a X3 2.8i. timing chains and intercoolers

Hey all. First post, just signed up so I can do some searching around in old threads for some info.

I have a 2013 X3 2.8i that I got as a CPO.

Fine car, works well, etc....but really regret not getting the 6cyl.

That said, there are a couple things I'd like to improve. It's a U.S. spec, and I live in europe right now with sustained speeds over 100mph pretty frequently. I feel that after a little bit on the highway at those speeds, the 4cyl starts having trouble in the 100+ territory, and my suspicion is the intercooler getting heatsoaked. I'm not looking to make this thing a rocket ship, or mod the crap out of it, I'd really just like it to be able to handle the sustained speeds a little better. Are there any intercooler options that will fit this? I realize this isn't a boone of a performance vehicle for the aftermarket to grab up.

Second question is timing chain failures....I've read a lot about this. So far, no issues. I havent noticed metal in my oil filters, and I'm doing changes every 5k with full synthetic 5w30. Was there ever an updated part that was fit to correct this issue on the 2013's? If so, how would I check? If not, how would I prevent it? I'm at 45k miles now, and have the 100k warranty. There has been some debate as to whether or not this BMW warranty is good at dealers overseas or not. I specifically asked about this when I got it, and was told expressly that it was, but subsequent conversations a friend had on their purchase has brought this into question for me....so prevention is the best bet to follow until I get back to the states in a couple years. I'm reading up about some updated timing chain guide parts that were issued by BMW, and it looks like the color of the timing chain guide is how you tell? If I dont have the updated, what can I expect to pay to have that done? I dont have the time, space, or tools required to do the job myself where I am right now.

Thanks!....back to searching....

Last edited by KurtP; 05-08-2017 at 01:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

color of timing chain guide won't help. As new it's near-opaque white but as it ages/soaked in oil it turns to that orange one that you see in pictures online.

I'm also mulling eating the cost of a proactive timing chain replacement but have not seen anybody post details about it. I mean, timing chain is a wear/tear item on older vehicles, right? The only difference here is the failure is happening prematurely on N20s.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

at 100mph constant I doubt it is getting heat soaked. you're running a tune/map/module?

you have tracked the IAT using JB4 or ?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 06:32 AM   #4
KurtP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast4d View Post
at 100mph constant I doubt it is getting heat soaked. you're running a tune/map/module?

you have tracked the IAT using JB4 or ?
It's all stock sans a KN filter. I have ordered the JB+ Quick for it, but haven't installed it yet. Gas is good, I'm getting the US equivalent to 95 octane where I am. Should help quite a bit in the mid range where I need it.

I guess it could just be perception, as that is a funny thing, but it definitely feels like it starts to struggle after a bit. I dont have a diagnostic tool to track IAT, but that is probably a good thing to look at.

About the only other thing I'd consider doing to it would be an air/oil separator system.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 06:33 AM   #5
KurtP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
color of timing chain guide won't help. As new it's near-opaque white but as it ages/soaked in oil it turns to that orange one that you see in pictures online.

I'm also mulling eating the cost of a proactive timing chain replacement but have not seen anybody post details about it. I mean, timing chain is a wear/tear item on older vehicles, right? The only difference here is the failure is happening prematurely on N20s.
Yeah, that's kind of how I'm starting to talk myself into it just to avoid the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
Fast4d
Captain
Rep

for sure you want to get a catch can so the intake valve/intake tract doesn't get coked up. I checked the hose and it's a little wet from water/oil mixture.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 02:26 AM   #7
KurtP
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast4d View Post
for sure you want to get a catch can so the intake valve/intake tract doesn't get coked up. I checked the hose and it's a little wet from water/oil mixture.
ok. I've been out of the game for a while, I'm guessing any catch can for an N20 will work, possibly with some modification?

Should I seafoam it or something for the valves?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
Fast4d
Captain
Rep

hose and connector might need to be changed if you buy a kit for F series.
as for valve deposit.....remove the intake or use remote camera to inspect. I doubt you'll have any issues below 50k miles.
Appreciate 0