BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Navigation place names - German only?

Is it my imagination or do you only get place names read out by the nav bird when driving in Germany? I was impressed with her Leipzig pronunciation and then I thought well, that figures given BMW are a German brand, and then I thought I can't ever remember her saying names when driving in England

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Sco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Not taken it overseas yet but can confirm that I have never heard spoken place names from the sat nav. In what context does it speak them? Is it when you pass through places or when you arrive at or input a destination?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Not taken it overseas yet but can confirm that I have never heard spoken place names from the sat nav. In what context does it speak them? Is it when you pass through places or when you arrive at or input a destination?
It was along the lines of "take A38, Leipzig" by way of confirming which way to get on the A38 I think - she definitely said it because the pronunciation stuck in my head for being so good - it wasn't just a computer saying Leipzig phonetically, it had been prerecorded. Sehr gut.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

We also went quite near Monchengladbach but she bottled that

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Sco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
We also went quite near Monchengladbach but she bottled that
I suspect they pondered adding this feature for the UK and abandoned it when they got to welsh pronunciation.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

It doesn't give French place names either. Perhaps the UK & France should both declare UDI from the German (Whoops European) Conman Market.

Second thoughts - Perhaps that should have been England & France to declare UDI - Then Alex Salmond could stay in his beloved EU and we in England could take his Rumpy Pumpy 'leave pass' and get out of the EU.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
scotta2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY2013 F25 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbu View Post
It doesn't give French place names either. Perhaps the UK & France should both declare UDI from the German (Whoops European) Conman Market.

Second thoughts - Perhaps that should have been England & France to declare UDI - Then Alex Salmond could stay in his beloved EU and we in England could take his Rumpy Pumpy 'leave pass' and get out of the EU.
Politics on a car forum? tut tut.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotta2 View Post
Politics on a car forum? tut tut.
+1 ....................but still entertaining- as long as no one gets too serious.
Appreciate 0