BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Battery Discharge when starting car

Anyone ever get that error message? Battery was discharged while your car was off. I restarted the car after driving to work and it was gone, just curious what it meant, I had a yellow error message the whole way.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Santa69
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 M Sport

I got it also today. Had a USB drive plugged in when i turned the car off. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Gone now.

Bring on the X3M
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa69 View Post
I got it also today. Had a USB drive plugged in when i turned the car off. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Gone now.
I leave my USB always plugged in, are we not allowed to? Very strange..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 02:12 AM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlbrad View Post
I leave my USB always plugged in, are we not allowed to? Very strange..
Haven't actually checked it, but since the USB drive is connected to and powered by the entertainment system, it's probably powered off when the entertainment system is off. Even if you leave the car without hitting the start/stop button twice. The system powers down when the car is locked or times out in 5 to 15 minutes.

However, a typical 8 GB flash drive will draw 400 mA from a 5V. USB socket. That will completely discharge the X3's battery in 175 hours (70 AH/0.4A) or less if the battery is not fully charged. That's if, and only if, the USB socket remains powered when the audio system is off which is very unlikely.

Last edited by Lotus7; 06-05-2011 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Center console is continuously hot.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Center console is continuously hot.
Sorry, beg to differ. At least on my 35i, the USB 5V. power is actually switched off. I attached a 2GB flash drive and a digital meter to a USB extension cable and plugged it into the center console socket. 10 minutes later the socket switched off. Conditions were: All doors closed, and no key remote in the car.

As soon as a door was opened, the USB port regained power (without touching the Start/Stop button at all.

This means that leaving a USB Flash drive in the console socket will not drain the battery.

Interestingly, the 12V. accessory socket (in the center console arm rest) was not switched off (at least for the 30 minutes I waited) It retained power, even with the rest of the car shut down.

The current version of the X3 Owners Manual has no mention of the various power shut-down conditions for the various power outlets and powered connectors on the car. Since BMW feels it to be necessary to control the use of these sources, it would be nice if they at least mentioned what was going to happen.

Last edited by Lotus7; 06-05-2011 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Sorry, beg to differ. At least on my 35i, the USB 5V. power is actually switched off. I attached a 2GB flash drive and a digital meter to a USB extension cable and plugged it into the center console socket. 10 minutes later the socket switched off. Conditions were: All doors closed, and no key remote in the car.

As soon as a door was opened, the USB port regained power (without touching the Start/Stop button at all.

This means that leaving a USB Flash drive in the console socket will not drain the battery.

Interestingly, the 12V. accessory socket (in the center console arm rest) was not switched off (at least for the 30 minutes I waited) It retained power, even with the rest of the car shut down.

The current version of the X3 Owners Manual has no mention of the various power shut-down conditions for the various power outlets and powered connectors on the car. Since BMW feels it to be necessary to control the use of these sources, it would be nice if they at least mentioned what was going to happen.
You're right, I stand corrected. A sensor in the door must signal to power up. I allow the door to stay closed after I connected a HD with indicator light. Within a couple of minutes the light went out.

These boys may have a slow trickle.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're right, I stand corrected. A sensor in the door must signal to power up. I allow the door to stay closed after I connected a HD with indicator light. Within a couple of minutes the light went out.

These boys may have a slow trickle.
Yea, even with the key remote absent, opening a door puts the system in a mode that (at first) does not power up the center display screen, but does allow the radio to run ("radio standby" mode?) as well as the USB slot. If you do turn on the radio, the center screen illuminates.

Seems like BMW is trying to protect users from inadvertently running down the battery, without interfering too much with reasonable use of the accessories.

The sad part is the we have to learn about these "features" by “trial-and-error” experimentation, rather than just looking it up in the manual.
Thank goodness that we have access to this forum to share knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The sad part is the we have to learn about these "features" by “trial-and-error” experimentation, rather than just looking it up in the manual.
Thank goodness that we have access to this forum to share knowledge.
It's a two edge sword for me. Coming from a puzzle solving science background I like the puzzle. But on the other hand document, document, and document!
I don't like it when manufactures dumb down the manuals. I want it there, if I decide to read it.

A BIG +1:Thank goodness that we have access to this forum to share knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #10
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's a two edge sword for me. Coming from a puzzle solving science background I like the puzzle. But on the other hand document, document, and document!
I don't like it when manufactures dumb down the manuals. I want it there, if I decide to read it.

Same background, same philosophy.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
Bill S
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 30d N57 + E60 535d M57

Quote:

Quote:
Same background, same philosophy.
Good to know that there is still a few of us about
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
509trooper
Staff Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Quote:

Along the same lines, I come from a software development background, and I constantly look at how users interact with a device and ask what if the user does... That being said, I wonder what would happen if the user selected the P button on the stick shift. Seems like it would be awfully easy to accidentally press it while manual shifting.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509trooper View Post
That being said, I wonder what would happen if the user selected the P button on the stick shift. Seems like it would be awfully easy to accidentally press it while manual shifting.
I have a long uphill driveway and I use M1 & M2. When I go to reverse I'm locked out until I put it "automatic".

If Lotus 7's transfer case goes out again I think we should nominate him to give this a try.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have a long uphill driveway and I use M1 & M2. When I go to reverse I'm locked out until I put it "automatic".

If Lotus 7's transfer case goes out again I think we should nominate him to give this a try.
Thanks for the "nomination", but I respectfully decline.

However, I'd expect that the "brilliant" German engineers and software designers behind this vehicle have incorporated a speed lockout that would prevent engaging "Park" if there is any significant motion forward, and hopefully in reverse.

But, then again, a "brilliant" engineer would never think anyone would try to select "Park" while moving so might just not think to put in the few lines of code needed for an interlock function.

As it is, if you try to engage reverse without pressing the side interlock button, you get a wrist-slap nanny warning on the display screen and the obnoxious warning chime. Who knows what would happen if you tried to hit "Park" at 70 mph? Probably a visit from a BMW legal rep. to recall the car since you're not worthy of driving one.
Appreciate 0